Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere else but here it goes!

Architect: Glancy Nicholls Architects
Size: 75,000 sq ft.
Cost: £15 million
Height: Four storeys with 2 storey underground car park
Facilities: Class rooms, practical areas, lecture theatre, library and admin offices.

Images from architect website: http://www.glancynicholls.com/

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
When i saw it first i thought of a diamond, probably due to the jewelry quarter location, although you're probably closer to it than me. Or we could both be wrong...

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this would be a very attractive building but I really want to know what it's surroundings are like. It is a modern building in a conservation area.

If this were closer to the city centre or somewhere like new Street, it could have the potential to become iconic locally and very maybe nationally.

·
SSC Geek
2,795 Posts
Agreed, we need some proper renders to see how this will sit in it's location. I think the design does look striking and could be excellent if built properly.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Foxy! Bloody hell - that really does need help, and this is the development for it, me thinks! There's little architectural quality in that stretch anyway so it'll look fine.

But the circular thing will be at the back and not facing the street...

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^Not sure if it is relocating, but with the so much plus admin offices it sounds very likely. Where is their current site anyway? :dunno:

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
On summer row up from Apres although the site is huge i think overlooking lionel street by Express by Holiday Inn.

The way its going and its programmes it may well one day become a university itself. It currently is accredited through the University of Birmingham. Often its derided as College of Cakes but nationally its one of the top colleges of its kind in UK.

Also, if you can book a table or even get a hair appointment you get these at fraction of price of normal places as they 'practice' on you.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Simpson's episode where Bart gets a discount 'practise' haircut has stayed with me for ever and I'll shy away from it. Thanks though! It would be fantastic to see it become a university, indeed! :yes:

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I like this - quirky from one side but respecting the street frontage from the other.

I thought there had already been a planning application approved for this spot - a fairly standard-looking apartment block? Prob on the JQ thread somewhere...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I like the look of it, if this goes ahead, and I'm guessing it's just a vision at the moment this would free up the current site?

·
Disco and drugs trade
15,947 Posts
You can get a good look aross Birmingham* from that car park next to the site, so if I'm reading the pics right the Kenwood Mixing bowl thingy could be quite visable if it's tall enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts