Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the third consecutive year, Birmingham is featured on America's most popular television show - American Idol. In 2004, it was Ruben Studdard (American Idol), in 2005 it was Bo Bice (First Runner-up) and now Taylor Hicks (among current top two finalist) has placed Birmingham in the national / world spotlight as three Metropolitan Birmingham contestants have emerged as finalist on the nation's most watched television program. A Birmingham homeboy has finished in the top two for three of the programs four years of existence - a feat that has not been accomplished by even the nation's major entertainment centers (New York or L.A). Each year, the hometowns of the finalist are featured and Birmingham looked great tonight - a Taylor Hicks parade with thousands in downtown Birmingham's Lynn Park, Taylor performing atop Red Mountain with the Birmingham skyline in the background and the Riverchase Galleria. This is awsome exposure for Birmingham. Other cities featured tonight includes Richmond and Los Angeles.

Metro Birmingham American Idol finalist:

2004 Ruben won

2005 Bo Bice first runner-up

...... and now 2006 Taylor Hicks top two finalist

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
excellent...even though i hate that show. and props also to the nc triad, they've had a few finalists/winners as well?

-

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
my grandmother loves Taylor, and my granddad can't stand him, and he hates Alabama University and the governor. so, if i were my granddad, i move out of Alabama. i like Taylor, he's a funny dude.

oh, and Ruben is da man.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Good, I'm sick of NC getting all the AI exposure. :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't watch AI, but I'm happy for all the Alabama people :)

I can't stand Riley (AL's governor), or most of the scumbag politicians we have.

When I was in Mobile last weekend, one judicial candidate (Nabers) was running a commercial about how Alabama "wants" the bible to be part of its governing policy, and he feels the same way. I do NOT want someone like that deciding a case I'm in. I'm Jewish and don't want fundamentalist christians running the courts (or the legislature, or the governor's mansion). I think Roy Moore is running for governor, he defied the order to remove his ten commandments statue from the Supreme Court and was removed from the bench. Just who I want running my state... :doh:

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
yakirz said:
I don't watch AI, but I'm happy for all the Alabama people :)

I can't stand Riley (AL's governor), or most of the scumbag politicians we have.

When I was in Mobile last weekend, one judicial candidate (Nabers) was running a commercial about how Alabama "wants" the bible to be part of its governing policy, and he feels the same way. I do NOT want someone like that deciding a case I'm in. I'm Jewish and don't want fundamentalist christians running the courts (or the legislature, or the governor's mansion). I think Roy Moore is running for governor, he defied the order to remove his ten commandments statue from the Supreme Court and was removed from the bench. Just who I want running my state... :doh:
Moore has a snowball's chance in hell of winning even the primary. not that i want to get off topic, but being Jewish, i'm sure you heard about how attorney general want-to-be Larry Darby is a Holocaust denier and *********** advocate. again, he'll probably lose to the more sane candidate, Mobile's district attorney.

-

·
Registered
626 Posts
LSyd said:
Moore has a snowball's chance in hell of winning even the primary. not that i want to get off topic, but being Jewish, i'm sure you heard about how attorney general want-to-be Larry Darby is a Holocaust denier and *********** advocate. again, he'll probably lose to the more sane candidate, Mobile's district attorney.

-
Let's hope so! >( It might not be "American," but I agree with Germany's law against denying the murder of 10 million people... at least when it comes to people running for public office. It says in one article he wants to "reawaken white racial awareness."

As much as I love Alabama, we have some real morons in our state.

But he's a libertarian, he probably has as much chance as Moore :tongue2:

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
yakirz said:
Let's hope so! >( It might not be "American," but I agree with Germany's law against denying the murder of 10 million people... at least when it comes to people running for public office. It says in one article he wants to "reawaken white racial awareness."

As much as I love Alabama, we have some real morons in our state.

But he's a libertarian, he probably has as much chance as Moore :tongue2:
from what i've read, he's running as a Democrat...but he was behind in the polls before he came out as a moron, and still has to go through the primaries.

-

·
Registered
307 Posts
Vulcan said:
For the third consecutive year, Birmingham is featured on America's most popular television show - American Idol. In 2004, it was Ruben Studdard (American Idol), in 2005 it was Bo Bice (First Runner-up) and now Taylor Hicks (among current top two finalist) has placed Birmingham in the national / world spotlight as three Metropolitan Birmingham contestants have emerged as finalist on the nation's most watched television program. A Birmingham homeboy has finished in the top two for three of the programs four years of existence - a feat that has not been accomplished by even the nation's major entertainment centers (New York or L.A). Each year, the hometowns of the finalist are featured and Birmingham looked great tonight - a Taylor Hicks parade with thousands in downtown Birmingham's Lynn Park, Taylor performing atop Red Mountain with the Birmingham skyline in the background and the Riverchase Galleria. This is awsome exposure for Birmingham. Other cities featured tonight includes Richmond and Los Angeles.

Metro Birmingham American Idol finalist:

2004 Ruben won

2005 Bo Bice first runner-up

...... and now 2006 Taylor Hicks top two finalist

Your years are a little off, I believe. Fantasia Borino finished in there somewhere. I believe she won in 2004 and Rubin won in 2003 (although Clay Aiken was a much better singer but Rubin had the "cool" going on.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Plasticman said:
Your years are a little off, I believe. Fantasia Borino finished in there somewhere. I believe she won in 2004 and Rubin won in 2003 (although Clay Aiken was a much better singer but Rubin had the "cool" going on.
You are right. I think Ruben was 2003.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
yeah, but Fantasia was illiterate.

-

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plasticman said:
Yep, but even in 2004 the first runner-up is a Birmingham native. Diana Degarmo was born in Birmingham, but later moved to Atlanta, which she chose as her hometown for the show.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've only watched this season (Elliot Yamin being the reason). The footage of Birmingham did look great last night. It was the exact kind of publicity that cities dream of having.

Elliot did Richmond proud too. The highlights for me were when he arrived in Richmond (while exiting the plane) and threw his nose up into the air, breathed in deeply and sighed "ahhh Richmond". There was another clip of him sticking his nose out of the limo and exclaiming " smell that sweet Virginia air!". His mom balling in the convertible, moved beyond composure, at the sight of 12,000 fans was touching, as were his tears. He truly seemed so grateful. I'm generally not a sentimental guy but I did go to his parade and was also moved by the outpouring of support by thousands of well-wishers lining Boulevard. It is seldom that Richmond rallies around anything and seeing this made me believe that we as a community had rounded a civic pride corner but alas the following day the editorial pages of the Richmond Times Dispatch were filled with bitchy letters complaining that the paper was dedicating too much ink to the Yamin story and had recklessly labeled him a "hero" and by doing so diminished the label “hero” for folks like caregivers and vets, blahh, blahh, blahh. Part of me laughed and thought "quintessential Richmond attitude" the other part of me was utterly depressed. Looks like any sort of local pride is still a ways off.

But anyway I digress. Birmingham looked beautiful and as much as I am annoyed by Taylor, I do hope that he wins because Birmingham deserves some national spotlight.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I didn't think Birmingham looked like a particularly attractive place in the show. Richmond looked much nicer and larger.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Of course you didn't. You probably think downtown Memphis is incredibly gourgeous.

Richmond did look nice, but I also thought Bham looked pretty good. The mall scene in Hoover was amazing. They didn't get any really good shots of downtown during his parade. If they panned out when he was playing a song on Red Mtn. during the morning show you would have had an awesome pano of Bham but you could barely see part of it in the background.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
krazeeboi said:
No she wasn't; she had reading problems, but she wasn't illiterate.
well, close enough.

great, this has turned into a versus thread.

-

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
Taylor's funny man. I like his style. He will make a lot old school people very happy in near future whether he wins or loses.

·
War. Damn. Eagle.
218 Posts
Yeah, Birmingham has cornered the Idol market. Now if we could just use it to build up our local music scene. In any case, Taylor's a shoe in. Yep, you read it here first. With Yamin gone Taylor will carry the South and any other region that recognizes talent. That show is chessy beyond belief but who can deny the excitement of watching a hometown guy going all the way! But Birmingham did look great on air. And ditto about the shots. A little better camera work and the audience would've been treated to some fantastic shots of the 'Ham.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts