Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been reading about Leeds & it's 54 storey tower, Lumiere, which is about to rise in that city very soon, & it got me thinking.

With interest rates due to start escalating over the coming months & years, do you think that the residential towers currently under construction in Birmingham, including the forthcoming V Building, will be the last to be built here for another generation to come?

Has Birmingham missed the boat again, for perhaps another 30 years maybe, to acquire it's very own cluster of skyscrapers?

Have Manchester & Leeds both pipped Birmingham again at the final hurdle?

Discuss.

·
Mancunian Member
7,184 Posts
^^ You ok FLD? You're normally Mr. Optimism? What's with all the doom and gloom all of a sudden?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ You ok FLD? You're normally Mr. Optimism? What's with all the doom and gloom all of a sudden?
I've got a hefty mortgage!!

I'm wondering that we may be coming to the end of a 10 year building cycle, because of the uncertainty ahead, & it may take many years perhaps, for some of Birmingham's more ambitious plans to come to fruition, other than the ones that have started or are about to start.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,506 Posts
Meh, not really, Manchester has one finished taller but it and its other proposals leave a lot be desired design wise IMO.
While I would love Lumiere in Brum Leeds' skyline still won't be anywhere near as dense, and I'll be quite happy with Snow Hill, V and BST thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To have the tallest building in your city does carry some prestige though? Can you see, say, a 55 storey tower being planned for Birmingham in the next 5 years?

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,506 Posts
Well yes tbh I can, I dunno when or where but yeah why not.
Having the tallest full stop is a big deal, the tallest outside London is not. I don't think any regional city will get taller than London so its not really important. Besides I'd rather have the most attractive building than the tallest one.

·
Proud European
6,474 Posts
I think if we've missed the boat then so have most other places.

Most of the top cities have done some big impact projects and have many more of various shapes, sizes and scales in the pipeline, but in terms of concrete out of the ground they're on a similar plane ....ish.

But I don't think the bubble has burst.

When the property market collapsed in the early 70's the government of the time had driven the UK economy almost to a point of bankrupty - interest rates were in another world to what we know now, and the World Bank was refusing to lend UK plc any more money.

We're nowhere near that now, interest rates are being tweaked to maintain the economy.......

......mind you...Mr Greedy is heading for No. 10.........

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
......mind you...Mr Greedy is heading for No. 10.........

...... I know, & there is talk that he wants to tax us on the size of our gardens ...... so thinking about it, perhaps there is a bigger market for apartments than I thought!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm one of those advocates who believe that having the tallest at the expense of good design is a little short-sighted. Give me something shorter but far more pleasing on the eye anytime.

·
15,713 Posts
it totally depends on what your view of the "missing the boat" is.

If you think missing the boat is having the tallest building outside london is it, them we more then likely have for the time being. Birmingham has never had the tallest building outside the capital (well maybe in 1900 but that wa about it). We were pioneers when it came to re-intoducing tall buildings in our regional cities and they have caught on. Yes birmingham doesnt have the tallest, but i really do dislike the weight ppl put on the importance of being the tallest!

There are and is plans for taller builsings within the city. this is and always has been the case as many of you will have probably suspected. But only because they have not been built, doesnt mean our city isnt a success. i would quite highly argue that the likes of brindley place, the bullring, martineau galleries will all have a higher impact on our cities success than a "tallest outside london" building would ever have. and its not as if we havent been building tall buildings either!

Missing the boat is not appreciating the benefits of what can be gained, and Birmingham has harnessed tall buildings better than most other cities have. We developed a tall buildings policy which is negotiable, precaticle and logical and as a result have even invited the development of tall buildings on plots originally proposed to be low rise - look at snow hill and new street for example. Yes you might look at manchester and leeds with envious eyes, but leeds is developing a tall building policy as we speak and manchester will soon have to follow suit when the new range of planning laws are implimented in the next few years!

if anything, i would suggest the we have approached this the best way. we are neither ther leader or the underdog. Manchester is throwing them up and so whilst being able to gain the benefits they will also suffer the most if they fail, followed by leeds, and then birmingham followed by liverpool and then the other smaller cities!

im perfectly happy where we are, and the day these taller towers come to light, if they ever do, then they will do because they are viable and are what the city needs, not because it wasnts to copy other cities.

missed the boat? no, id like to see other cities that have benefited from £10billion of investment over the last 10 years, a city that has been able to sustain the largest office lets outside the capital, the city that has been able to attract the largest speculatively built schemes outside the capital all together with the largest newly build city centre shopping centre and award winning developments like brindley place... doesnt sound like missing the boat to me!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I concur with everything you have written Woody, & have a good understanding of where Birmingham has emerged from over the last 40 years, what it has acheived & where it is going.

But, is this tall building cycle about to end, not just for Birmingham, but for the rest of the country, just as Manchester & Leeds put up the last tallest buildings in our regions?

·
3,635 Posts
it totally depends on what your view of the "missing the boat" is.

If you think missing the boat is having the tallest building outside london is it, them we more then likely have for the time being. Birmingham has never had the tallest building outside the capital (well maybe in 1900 but that wa about it).
Errrrr.... Holloway Circus Tower.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^Spinnaker Tower? Or is that cheating...? :dunno:

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Fantastic reply Woody.

All goes to highlight my Freudian ***** envy is correct with people.

On a psychological perspective, is the preponderance of gay men and height issues a Freudian ***** envy study in the waiting.

We have nothing to be ashamed of (well perhaps the odd minor mistake) and should make it our goal to build well and develop an urban grain and if there is a skyscraper that helps in both counts then support it.
Its also really difficult to compare different cities with different economic, cultural and historical factors affecting their urbanicity. Yes we may all be in the urinal checking each others bits out but its what you do with them, its how they work and whether you are happy that matters - not that Joe's is bigger than yours.

Birmingham is Birmingham because of its history and development and I wouldnt want it any other way. Identikit cities and development and 'weve got taller building than you' all undermine the focus should be on people and how we use, live, visit and develop our cities.

·
15,713 Posts
I concur with everything you have written Woody, & have a good understanding of where Birmingham has emerged from over the last 40 years, what it has acheived & where it is going.

But, is this tall building cycle about to end, not just for Birmingham, but for the rest of the country, just as Manchester & Leeds put up the last tallest buildings in our regions?

If the skyscrpaer boom was about to come to the end, then regardless of having plannign consent or not, these towers woulsdnt be built. it takes a good 2 years to build towers of that size, and then you have to sell the huge amount of apartments... these aint short term investments and woudlnt be built if the boom was going to come to an end over night

and might i remind you, even though V tower is the smallest in height, its the biggest in terms of number of resi units... 712 units in one tower!

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
I have to agree with Woody also. Birmingham has not missed the boat, you only have to enter the city by train from the sutton coldfield end to see that, loads of great potential just starting to get under construction. You only have to look around snowhill at the moment with the second crane being built to see that Birmingham has a great future ahead of itself. We are already going to get a tower of around 50 floors, and whilst i do like Lumiere in Leeds and i do wish them luck with this one, this has been delayed so many times over the last few years and still is. Just becouse everyone is wetting themselves with seeing a yellow digger on site, construction is not expected to start until september 2007, and Eastgate in Manchester, well what can i say. I dont expect this one to be happening at all, and even if it does everyone is now saying that it wont be 60 floors, more like 50. With this in mind though, people will still probally come on here and say to make up for it, Manchester is going to build a 200M monster somewhere else in the city, this is total rubbish. They cant even build a 188M monster. Birmingham is also in the same situation but the difference with Birmingham and Manchester is that we do not go around willy waving and saying we are going to build the tallest tower outside London, lets leave this to Leeds and Manchester to fight it out and let Birmingham build quality towers rather than Mediocre ones.(except Lumiere which is quality) Also talking about Birminghams future, we also have Broad street tower approved and ready for construction and the faboulous pinnacle VTP 176m tower in addition to snowhill and V Building. I think sometimes people forget all these other developments in Brum. Happy times ahead:) :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts