SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3108 Posts

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe we don't have a general railways thread but here we go with this gem for starters...........

No rush fellas...

The restricted opening hours of a £17 million railway station entrance aimed at easing the life of commuters has been described as an absolute farce as transport bosses pledged to extend access.

The gateway into Snow Hill station, in Livery Street, prevents travellers from having to cross the A38 and hike all the way to Colmore Row to use the main entrance there, thereby connecting the Jewellery Quarter to the station which is home to many professionals and businesses.
http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/opening-hours-snow-hill-station-8987201

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Heres a new locomotive that we will see a lot of in the future on the rails around Birmingham. No 68008 Avenger, a Class 68 loco Manufactured by Vossloh.

Class 68 at Snow Hill Birmingham by metrogogo, on Flickr

·
...Ready for departure.
12,418 Posts
Those will be fully recon'd coaches though. Just look at the amazing job FGW did with their HSTs - They're set to last another 15-20 years. Personally I have absolutely no worries about Chiltern Railways. They know they are in the business of actually running a railway. Properly.

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,587 Posts
Those will be fully recon'd coaches though. Just look at the amazing job FGW did with their HSTs - They're set to last another 15-20 years. Personally I have absolutely no worries about Chiltern Railways. They know they are in the business of actually running a railway. Properly.
The new FGW trains from Paddington to Malvern/Hereford are a godsend compared to the crappy commuter DMUs which we still occasionally get sent.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The local Worst Late Westerns from Bristol to Yate & beyond are cattle trucks!

The West Midlands is much better served. I agree that Chiltern are a godsend. A company that knows how to run a line.

Talking of which - when will the Camp Hill line open? I was in Moseley last week and walked passed the entrance to the old station.

All those number 50s - what a waste! Get people back into the trains - this area deserves a decent line!

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,587 Posts
The local Worst Late Westerns from Bristol to Yate & beyond are cattle trucks!

The West Midlands is much better served. I agree that Chiltern are a godsend. A company that knows how to run a line.

Talking of which - when will the Camp Hill line open? I was in Moseley last week and walked passed the entrance to the old station.

All those number 50s - what a waste! Get people back into the trains - this area deserves a decent line!
The Camp Hill line has been talked about for years but as far as I know there are no concrete plans to do anything with it. It's ironic that FGW is better in the Midlands than in the West Country, given that the core route for them is Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads.

We have these in Malvern for the most part now:

I used to joke that 'First Capital Connect' in Cambridge should be called 'First Capital Punishment' but then they changed the name to 'Great Northern' recently.

Cambridge. Northern.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The Camp Hill line has been talked about for years but as far as I know there are no concrete plans to do anything with it. It's ironic that FGW is better in the Midlands than in the West Country, given that the core route for them is Paddington-Bristol Temple Meads.

We have these in Malvern for the most part now:

I used to joke that 'First Capital Connect' in Cambridge should be called 'First Capital Punishment' but then they changed the name to 'Great Northern' recently.

Cambridge. Northern.

'First Capital Punishment' Quality! These trains look good. Hope they have them on the Yate to Brisle run soon.

I live in Chipping Sodbury & opt to use the bus instead to get into Bristol as the trains are awful & the walk from the station through the blitzed surroundings is grim.

As for Camp Hill I would have thought it's not too difficult to reopen. I guess it's something to do with the spur going back into town?

I would have thought there would be a high demand for rail users in the part of Brum.

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,587 Posts
'First Capital Punishment' Quality! These trains look good. Hope they have them on the Yate to Brisle run soon.

I live in Chipping Sodbury & opt to use the bus instead to get into Bristol as the trains are awful & the walk from the station through the blitzed surroundings is grim.

As for Camp Hill I would have thought it's not too difficult to reopen. I guess it's something to do with the spur going back into town?

I would have thought there would be a high demand for rail users in the part of Brum.
Actually, all it would require is some fairly minimal chords being put in. Here is the document from GBSLEP from last year discussing it. This project is such a no-brainer for me, I don't know why it hasn't be reinstated,

·
flickr ell brown
21,164 Posts
Think that there is electrification works from Barnt Green towards Bromsgrove, as one of the bridges I found in Barnt Green was having work done to it (was a temporary pedestrian footbridge erected beside it that I used).

There was also work on the footbridge at Barnt Green Station as well.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Actually, all it would require is some fairly minimal chords being put in. Here is the document from GBSLEP from last year discussing it. This project is such a no-brainer for me, I don't know why it hasn't be reinstated,
Isn't it all about no money and a lack of interest from the rail authorities? The lines are in place except for the chord, although new stations would be required. I'm sure a similar chord is under construction in the Manchester area. Where did that money come from?

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,587 Posts
Isn't it all about no money and a lack of interest from the rail authorities? The lines are in place except for the chord, although new stations would be required. I'm sure a similar chord is under construction in the Manchester area. Where did that money come from?
To be honest, it isn't as imperative as some transport projects, and it's not going to be a vote winner to help the leafy suburbs in the south-west improve their already above-average train connectivity. Imagine what it would do for house prices in Moseley, which is already second only to Harborne and maybe Sutton Coldfield in terms of expensive areas.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
To be honest, it isn't as imperative as some transport projects, and it's not going to be a vote winner to help the leafy suburbs in the south-west improve their already above-average train connectivity. Imagine what it would do for house prices in Moseley, which is already second only to Harborne and maybe Sutton Coldfield in terms of expensive areas.
I would have thought Edgbaston is more expensive than Moseley, regardless of the hike in values that the Sunday Times gave Moseley properties a few weeks ago.

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,587 Posts
I would have thought Edgbaston is more expensive than Moseley, regardless of the hike in values that the Sunday Times gave Moseley properties a few weeks ago.
It depends if you mean Edgbaston proper or the parliamentary constituency. Some parts of the larger area are dead rough, while obviously the area around the university on Sir Harry's Road etc is millionaires' row.

1 - 20 of 3108 Posts