Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0 Posts
A few of us have been agitating for this for a while. It seems the 'Home of Metal' exhibition which was so popular a few years ago is bidding for Lottery funding to set up shop permanently in Birmingham.

Birmingham Mail Article

VOTE for it here: Home of Metal
Voted, couldn't they try and sort something in the Crown. Birmingham needs a home for music in general, to suggest the city's main output was metal with regards to music is a bit blinkered. It is definitely one of the main outputs and should be celebrated more though obviously.

·
Banned
3,829 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there much metal related 'heritage' in Birmingham? By this I mean blue plaques, famous venues etc. rather than its pedigree in producing the music.

Metal might not be so massive in the UK anymore but is huge throughout a large swathe of the globe. I once met a Brazilian guy in Madrid who was making a pilgrimage to Birmingham as he felt it was the birth place of metal. Birmingham has a better claim than probably anywhere to be the home of metal and it is quite a feather in its cap. Birmingham should definitely do its upmost to promote this aspect of its history, walking that fine line between honouring something real and Disney

·
...Ready for departure.
12,472 Posts
^^ I guess that with Ozzy Osbourne, and much later on, Slade being the more prominent bands you could argue that the West Midlands really should have something to put on the itenary list. It's not just metal though as Birmingham has had a very rich musical history over the 20th century. Unlike Manchester and perhaps even Sheffield, we're not so good at shouting it out though.

And I think it was Sefton that once said, why bother with museums? Well, this is a prime example of where those interested in a particular subject or genre can finally make that pilgrammage and actually discover what happened, why it happened and what happened to it. The city prospers from this in the process.

Reactions: DBadger

·
There Can Be Only One!
10,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ I guess that with Ozzy Osbourne, and much later on, Slade being the more prominent bands you could argue that the West Midlands really should have something to put on the itenary list. It's not just metal though as Birmingham has had a very rich musical history over the 20th century. Unlike Manchester and perhaps even Sheffield, we're not so good at shouting it out though.

And I think it was Sefton that once said, why bother with museums? Well, this is a prime example of where those interested in a particular subject or genre can finally make that pilgrammage and actually discover what happened, why it happened and what happened to it. The city prospers from this in the process.
Could even build a museum in Aston for a bit of regeneration.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,472 Posts
Could even build a museum in Aston for a bit of regeneration.
Are you sure? None of the locals have any appreciation for Aston Hall and at best will be indifferent to this idea. I'm surprised Aston Hall is in such a good state to be honest but I doubt the locals give a toss.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Aston Hall is such a great place;always on the list if you are showing visitors to Birmingham.On a lesser scale,but worth a lilttle visit, is the Oak House in West Bromwich (five minutes fron the Lodge Road Metro stop).

http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/info/200265/museums_and_art_gallery/8/oak_house

Returning to the Heavy Metal museum I think its a great idea and one that should be persued.Of course,The Crown would have been an ideal venue;maybe it is time to resurect The Golden Eagle on Hill Street
http://www.birminghammusicarchive.com/golden-eagle/

or possibly Bogarts on New Street
http://www.birminghammusicarchive.com/bogarts/

I think this may be an American site: http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock-news/pub-where-black-sabbath-first-played-danger-demolition

Lost Birmingham pubs:http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/lostpubs

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
Are you sure? None of the locals have any appreciation for Aston Hall and at best will be indifferent to this idea. I'm surprised Aston Hall is in such a good state to be honest but I doubt the locals give a toss.
What authority do you have to say this? Aston Hall and Park are pretty well used... More so before they started charging entry. As a kid we use to go and play football there and go to the Hall just because it was there to be explored.

In fact it was Aston Heritage Day last week and the Hall along with the park and other attractions in the area were buzzing and full (they also dropped the charge for the day). For it to be more widely used it needs better advertising and access as it has no bus route with the nearest train stations a 15min walk away.

To say the locals don't give a toss flies in the face of the locals who donated and campaigned for a grant to refurbish the stables and gardens over the years.

In fact, just looking at numbers i can find... in 2009/10 40,379 people visited Aston Hall, this was the third largest number behind the Art Gallery and Museum of the Jewellery Quarter. The latter achieving 51,232 visitors. Hardley not giving a toss.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,472 Posts
To say the locals don't give a toss flies in the face of the locals who donated and campaigned for a grant to refurbish the stables and gardens over the years.

In fact, just looking at numbers i can find... in 2009/10 40,379 people visited Aston Hall, this was the third largest number behind the Art Gallery and Museum of the Jewellery Quarter. The latter achieving 51,232 visitors. Hardly not giving a toss.
Of those, how many were based in the areas immediate to Aston Hall? and you can include Nechells and Lozzells if you like. I do remember reading something in the Birmingham Mail (although this was back in 2003) that it was least visited attraction in Birmingham by it's locals. Given the demographic of the area, I'd not be surprised as it is of little relevance and curiosity to them. I wonder if Soho house suffers the same problem...

However, I do appreciate that there are a small army of those that do take an interest area's heritage and it is those we should praise for allowing the hall to be presented in the amazing condition it is in.

Me personally though, I can't wait to revisit the museum circuit when I get back to Brum.

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
Of those, how many were based in the areas immediate to Aston Hall? and you can include Nechells and Lozzells if you like. I do remember reading something in the Birmingham Mail (although this was back in 2003) that it was least visited attraction in Birmingham by it's locals. Given the demographic of the area, I'd not be surprised as it is of little relevance and curiosity to them.

However, I do appreciate that there are a small army of those that do take an interest area's heritage and it is those we should praise for allowing the hall to be presented in the amazing condition it is in.

Me personally though, I can't wait to revisit the museum circuit when I get back to Brum.
You are basing that on your own assumptions and beliefs of the people living in that area. You could argue the same for Sarehole Mill, even the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter... How many of the residents local to these venues visit regularly to make up the visitor numbers. I'm sure there must be studies on this but i would think Local residents only tend to visit these types of attractions when there are events and do not tend to be regular visitors due to the offering remaining similar all year round in any case. Unless there is specific interest.

Clearly you are suggesting that due to the demographic of the area which is rather low paid and ethnic, largely of Islamic religion that these groups of people do not have an interest in history and culture. With nothing to back this up, I fear this is more due to your obtained personal belief rather than any evidence.

·
...Ready for departure.
12,472 Posts
You are basing that on your own assumptions and beliefs of the people living in that area. You could argue the same for Sarehole Mill, even the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter... How many of the residents local to these venues visit regularly to make up the visitor numbers. I'm sure there must be studies on this but i would think Local residents only tend to visit these types of attractions when there are events and do not tend to be regular visitors due to the offering remaining similar all year round in any case. Unless there is specific interest.

Clearly you are suggesting that due to the demographic of the area which is rather low paid and ethnic, largely of Islamic religion that these groups of people do not have an interest in history and culture. With nothing to back this up, I fear this is more due to your obtained personal belief rather than any evidence.
Who mentioned anything about religion? You are putting those words on the page! My point was that those from perhaps backgrounds that are not well off and those that have no link to the heritage of Birmingham may disregard Aston Hall and may even not notice or wish to care about it since they have things to deal with in their own lives. I'm only going by what I remember reading (ten years ago I will admit) and at that time could well have been plausible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts