SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some photos that I have taken of the Jewellery Quarter over the last year.

The Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham produces about a third of all jewellery in England, Jewellery has been produced in the area for over 200 years. The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter contains the best and most extensive surviving group of Victorian and 20th-century buildings devoted to the manufacture of jewellery in Europe. The Quarter is still a vibrant manufacturing community, with people often still working from original premises and in many cases using original machinery and tools.

Argent Centre

Recently refurbished

This could look so beautiful

Great tower

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Great pictures but maybe you could add a brief description to what the Jewllery quarter is at the top of the thread for people who dont know!

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I love the architecure in the Jewellery Quarter!

I've been there once

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Great pictures but maybe you could add a brief description to what the Jewllery quarter is at the top of the thread for people who dont know!
Good suggestion. it got me searching and I found this site.

http://www.the-quarter.com/index2.htm

I'm a big fan of industrial heritage, so this area is very fascinating to me. The buildings are superb, very eclectic with more than a hint of neo-byzantine features on a few of them.

Strong neo-byzantine influences on this building

Similar to Saint Sophia's Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Bayswater, London.

Great pics...:cheers:

·
Gotta lite?
6,040 Posts
Very interesting, although I have to say, if you didn't mention this was the Jewellery Quarter, I would never have known. I couldn't see any evidence in the shop fronts or anywhere else.

·
Super Moderator
21,708 Posts
Very interesting, although I have to say, if you didn't mention this was the Jewellery Quarter, I would never have known. I couldn't see any evidence in the shop fronts or anywhere else.
There are loads of jewellery shops/workshops in this area but many of them don't advertise prominently. They look like the type of places where you're not sure if a member of the public can just walk in off the street or not.

It's a very interesting little corner of the city though, I sometimes go for a walk around here in my lunch break if the weather is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts