SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering will and should Birmingham get new skyscrapers. Maybe more towards the UAB area. The area that divides the southside from the north could have shopping centers and the new development park they are talking about. Birmingham could and should be so much more. Give me your ideas. Also how do you post pics on here, I wanna post my Tampa pics. Thanks

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
i'd like to see a new tallest, and a new tallest for southside (although Jefferson Tower is awesome, it's been the tallest 60+ years, if you don't count the Daniel Building.)

- Regions and Compass need new signature towers
- a 15+ story tower to stand out in Highland Park would be nice
- more residential buildings, and more that are over 15 stories
- twin towers
- i like the shopping idea
- reclaim the title of Alabama's tallest from Mobile (mixed use residential/hotel tower sounds good for this)

otherwise, Bham is doing good with the low and mid-rise infill, and what seems like an annual high rise going up.

-

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Personally, I like B'ham skyline as is, but I must say, a new tallest would have done miracles. Can't suggest height and location - I have never been to B'ham - but I am sure it would look great in a "central" location. Any visions concerning new skyscrapers in your city?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mobilr may have the tallest but its not the densest. Even though Mobile hs the tallest ,by looks alone, B-ham "looks like that have the taller towers because that have the higher number of towers.

·
Amurika!
1,136 Posts
This may have been answered somewhere before, but doesn't Birmingham have a strict height limit downtown because of the FAA?

·
Fly Nashville!
770 Posts
Evan said:
This may have been answered somewhere before, but doesn't Birmingham have a strict height limit downtown because of the FAA?
Yes. Due to the flight patterns for the airport, the CBD has a height restriction. But many of us on the forums have proved time and time again that in certain areas around the CBD they could be relaxed.

·
Amurika!
1,136 Posts
Lexy said:
Yes. Due to the flight patterns for the airport, the CBD has a height restriction. But many of us on the forums have proved time and time again that in certain areas around the CBD they could be relaxed.
I never really understood that anyway. Anytime I have ever flown out of and into Birmingham, I can never remember going directly over downtown. It may circle around downtown, but I don't remember ever having gone directly over the CBD before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts