SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
shots i took around finals, plus yesterday. i didn't plan on neighborhood tours, but that's how it came out

first off Five Points South, the main nightlife area. one day was crappy weather, so it was good practice for my upcoming trip to the UK.

that's a new crane, what's it doing?

taking out a tree from The Garage's courtyard

i bet there used to be a building here

yesterday was a lot prettier, and a lot warmer, so i walked to the bank and post office (some of this isn't really Five Points, oh well)

addition to St. Vincent's

now into Highland Park. there's plenty of other buildings i want pictures of, but haven't gotten to.

these are gonna be demolished soon for condos

sadly, on Highland Ave there seems to be condemnation through neglect of two historic houses

another house that had been converted into a convalescent home and vacant for years came down recently; condo tower to follow

i got inside the weekend before demolition

rainy sunset

new night skyline since City Federal has lights on for the first time in 8 years

-

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
texasboy said:
great pics and great homes. i like that church too.
thanks.

-

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Great pics!!!

Ahh, The Ham. I’m feeling nostalgic. It seems like it was just yesterday…Milo’s Hamburgers, Sneaky Petes Hotdogs, Johnny Ray’s Barbeque…The Civil Rights Museum…The Magic City Classic…The French Quarter Nite Club…Magic City Too (Ham’s version of the ATL club)…and the most memorable place of all, Vulcan Park…somebody get me a tissue :cry:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like the pond with animal statues in it.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks y'all.

atlrvr, yeah that fountain's pretty sweet.

-

·
babylon falling
297 Posts
Damn great thread Lsyd, bham is on the come up. It looks like there is some fine housing stock there. I'm very impressed. Thanks for giving this San Diegan a stroll through the pride of Alabama. Like the rolling terrain and greenery too, it is almost like a southern Portland :cheers1: :bowtie:

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Nice Syd! Even though I'm slightly biased, I've always felt like Birmingham is America's most underrated city.

·
Super Moderator
9,293 Posts
Interesting thread. I am trying to make a decision on visiting Birmingham or Montgomery based on these kind of threads.

·
Registered
19,149 Posts
Interesting thread. I am trying to make a decision on visiting Birmingham or Montgomery based on these kind of threads.
Agreed with SIB. Do both.

Alabama is a very interesting state, definitely off the beaten path for foreign tourists. There's more things to do in Birmingham but Montgomery also has some very pretty areas, especially downtown.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^i took them back in 2005.

-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts