Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more like it: http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/new...ecome-home-bbcs-7129802#.U3X0D5v0v7g.facebook

The BBC Academy, the BBC’s centre for in-house and industry wide training, will move to the city in 2015, alongside the core of the BBC’s HR and Internal Communications.

The BBC has announced it will base its centre for recruitment and talent development for the UK at the Mailbox in Birmingham.

The BBC Academy, the BBC’s centre for in-house and industry wide training, will move to the city in 2015, alongside the core of the BBC’s HR and Internal Communications.

The academy offers training and development for the UK broadcast industry and will also work will local companies to increase the talent base in Birmingham and the West Midlands.

In total 190 roles will move to Birmingham by the end of 2015.

This is an increase of 100 roles on the 90 announced last year – the BBC’s earlier announcement included roles in a Digital Innovation Unit for Digbeth, The Space digital arts partnership, BBC Trainee and apprenticeship schemes. These teams join existing departments already based in Birmingham –working across news, current affairs, drama, radio and online.

Tony Hall, BBC Director-General, said: “Birmingham is a great city, with a history of creativity and innovation. I can’t think of a better place to base the BBC Academy.

“Its role is to nurture the broadcast stars, programmer makers, and talent of tomorrow. It also provides training and development for the entire UK broadcasting sector.

“The centre for BBC recruitment for the whole of the UK will also be based alongside the Academy, in one of the UK’s most diverse cities. This is good news for Birmingham and good news for the BBC – it’s a perfect partnership.”

It was also announced today that Peter Salmon, currently Director North, would take up a new role as Director England, with responsibility for leading creativity, collaboration and local partnerships across Salford, Birmingham and Bristol, alongside Alice Webb, Chief Operating Officer for England.

Mr Salmon will be responsible for The BBC Academy and will work closely with David Holdsworth, Controller of English Regions, who continues to lead the BBC’s Local & Regional services across the country.

He said: “Over the last few years the BBC has helped build a strong broadcasting and production community in Salford and the North of England. Now I’m looking forward to working with BBC teams in Birmingham and Bristol to forge even better relationships with our audiences and build new partnerships across the country to make sure our key bases keep making great content, develop great people and have a thriving future.

“As with our move to Salford an increase of jobs in Birmingham can help us with property savings in London so we can spend more on the services our audiences enjoy.”

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A lot of us have, over many years, raised awareness of a BBC vacuum sucking jobs and production out of the second city, many have not accepted the BBC relocations and this is the first bit of large scale reinvestment into Brum for a long time.

Let's hope this is just the first step, but this, alone is fantastic news for the Greater Birmingham region. Well done for the powers that be for making the city's case for new jobs, and well done BBC for listening and actually doing sonething about it. :cheers:

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
This is true, but the BBC employs 23,000 from 2011 data. Do we even have 1000 BBC employees in Birmingham?

·
...Ready for departure.
12,472 Posts
Indeed, but it's a start. And a fairly substantial number of new jobs within the BBC coming back to the heart of England. I'd say it's worth a small celebration.
I still think that the BBCs interactive/digital services need to be relocated here alongside training too though. If we can't have studios then making use of technical resource pool we have in this city which could help pull in investment for engineering and research projects. Just a thought.

Reactions: 882774

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is true, but the BBC employs 23,000 from 2011 data. Do we even have 1000 BBC employees in Birmingham?
"Approximately 2,300 BBC staff will be employed at MediaCity" from a 2011 news report. But then you would expect that with such a huge development.

I think the first thing for Brum is to make use of the Mailbox offices which this will go some way towards.

What we really need, is a new purpose built centre such as media city, either for BBC alone, maybe new production suites or for a mixture of media companies and uses. We're never going to get Media City in size.. I'm not sure there is even need for that in Manchester with how technology is evolving so fast. It would be icing on the cake though, if a building within the Arena Central development could house new studios. Dreaming I know, but would be useful location and would be fitting for the old ATV studios and would sit next to Alpha Tower built as part of ATV.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I think also it's worth noting the quality of this move. It will no doubt bring many thousands of media folk to the city each year, this will be good for local businesses but also will help to change some people's perceptions of the city, which is still needed. I'd rather see the 100 jobs supporting this facility than 1000 back office workers who just commute in and out each day and really have little or no bearing on the future of the BBC. We will be a platform for media talent, the best in the world.

Not sure what we once had at Pebble Mill, I image current staff levels are around 40ish? This is a related article from earlier in the year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbc-birmingham-digital.html

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
I think we should focus our efforts on the music industry instead.

We should as a city, be actively pursuing the music industry to brum as it seems to have started to take a liking to us over the past few years. With BCU and Birmingham both having fine music departments, live venues, we could really develop as a centre for music and sound recording, particularly if we add a dedicated outdoor space (say 75-100k capacity) that could be used for huge music concerts where the artist only does one gig and festivals like wireless.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The city council, universities and Marketing Birmingham should look at creating a new shared facility in the city centre. Featuring a small museum for the regions musical heritage including heavy metal and reggae (two of the largest exports). With links to fabulous facilities such as this: http://www.grapevinebirmingham.com/birminghams-oldest-recording-studios/ which are funded by arts grants etc but seemingly under used. Would tick regeneration boxes and start reaching out to the suburbs a bit more. Maybe even a medium sized world class performance space to start bringing back touring bands to the city centre. Shame the Conservatoire could not be a part of this, we seem to lack the joined up thinking.

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
exactly. There isn't a need for TV studios here. I doubt there is in the UK full stop. Part of the reason Media City is successful is because the BBC moved departments there. We might need one multi purpose flexible studio space that could accommodate TV, Film, Adverts or promo/music videos but there won't be a need for a studio complex for 10 year even with how fast technology is moving.

We should definitely switch efforts to music and radio.

·
Registered
28,447 Posts
190 new jobs moving here according to BBC news,

I wonder if this ties in with the 50,000sq ft office being created at the mailbox?

·
Gone for a bit
10,553 Posts
I think also it's worth noting the quality of this move. It will no doubt bring many thousands of media folk to the city each year, this will be good for local businesses but also will help to change some people's perceptions of the city, which is still needed. I'd rather see the 100 jobs supporting this facility than 1000 back office workers who just commute in and out each day and really have little or no bearing on the future of the BBC. We will be a platform for media talent, the best in the world.

Not sure what we once had at Pebble Mill, I image current staff levels are around 40ish? This is a related article from earlier in the year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbc-birmingham-digital.html
Agreed. It's good news and means every new starter right up to the top of the organisation at the BBC will spend a couple of days in Birmingham. Great to showcase it.

I'd say there are around 80 staff in the Mailbox; Asian Network, Radio WM and Midlands Today plus a few national support staff. It's about a third full. Also, don't forget the Drama Village out in Selly Oak which supports more jobs than at the Mailbox.

Coming up you're likely to see a few more events broadcast from Birmingham and a big push to base digital media in the city. Much thanks has to go to CRB Midlands and Gisela Stuart, without them it's likely the BBC would have retrenched even further. :applause:

·
Registered
489 Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27442239

So according to the BBC, if this move goes ahead, by the end of next year Birmingham will have 380 who currently work there, in addition to 190 new jobs in the city.
Better than nothing I suppose but the BBC had to be shamed into doing something for the BBC Midland Region which contributes more licence fee money than any other in the UK.
To put this into context, BBC North has around 3,500 staff.
I was watching a choir contest broadcast from the ICC a few days ago and when the credits rolled at the end, up came 'BBC Salford'. :eek:hno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts