SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I said it would never happen, and I am proud to now say I was wrong. Great news for The Ham :banana:

Monday, July 20, 2009, 2:43pm CDT | Modified: Monday, July 20, 2009, 3:36pm
BJCC to break ground on dome stadium
Birmingham Business Journal - by Lauren B. Cooper Staff

The Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex will break ground Tuesday on its new $530 million domed stadium.

The event will be held one week after the Birmingham City Council approved the release of $20 million to jump-start the long-talked-about addition.

Shortly afterward, the BJCC board gave the nod to architect Populous to move forward with design plans.

The ground breaking will be held at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the site of the new domed facility.

The expansion is slated to be a 57,500-seat arena and have 160,000 square feet of floor space. Its primary use will be for conventions and trade shows, said the BJCC.

Article: http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2009/07/20/daily7.html?t=printable

·
Registered
89 Posts
Certainly a looonnng time in the making and a much needed venue to replace haggard Legion Field. Now we'll just have to wait and see if it rises from the ground.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Louisville also broke ground on Museum Plaza, but that project is not going anywhere.

This is not 'good news' for Birmingham, this is a terrible waste of money in a poor economy.

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Can Birmingham even support a 57,000 seat arena??? Kinda big if you ask me.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
They dont, they are basically spending over a half billion dollars for 160,000 square feet of convention space. Epic fail by the leaders of Birmingham if this actually happens.

·
~Friend of the People~
226 Posts
Why does Birmingham need a $530 million domed stadium?
I think its more for the convention center to attract more conventions if anything, I would think this stadium would be better served in Huntsville than Birmingham

·
Registered Menace
2,851 Posts
Whats the point of a stadium if you do not have a sports team? why didnt they just build a convention center? seems kinda like a blunder to me too. not to talk down on the ham, i have family from that area, but whats the point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whats the point of a stadium if you do not have a sports team? why didnt they just build a convention center? seems kinda like a blunder to me too. not to talk down on the ham, i have family from that area, but whats the point.

That's hilarious! Your post actually made me laugh out loud! Huntsville... that's funny.

Yes. Birmingham can support a 57,000 seat stadium and is in essence replacing the dilapidated Legion Field (seats 72,000) in addition to providing more floor space for the existing convention center.

You folks talk a lot of smack... Birmingham is a thriving metropolis of 1.2 million and has earned this new facility.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Besides... can't you people read?

The city has only released $20 million for design. That is a long way from construction. Groundbreakings are only ceremonial. :gaah:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Why would you build a Domed Stadium that seats 57,000? Really. It's a waste of money. Have no problems with Birmingham building a Domed Stadium, but, it is entirely too small for professional football and only provides for a mediocre college football experience. It is too large for basketball and too small of seating for a Final Four. What is going to happen in this stadium? It's too big for mainstream concerts. Why not build a stadium that seats 75,000? At least that would provide for potential. Seriously, what do cities have occur in a stadium that seats 57,000? It's not really for conventions either?!? They say it is, but, really you are just having a bunch of people on the floor space looking at 57,000 empty seats. You don't put a booth in a chair?!? Love Birmingham and have family that lives in Mountain Brook. I think it is dumb to build a domed stadium that offers limited potential and costs over a half a billion dollars. Birmingham is not thinking like a big city in building this domed stadium.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Lets put this in its proper perspective, it was just a groundbreaking, a glorified dog and pony show by a mayor who is going to face federal charges in court next month. Its true that Birmingham needs a new sporting/convention facility, but no one cant answer if this could attract the right events to keep it afloat. This metro has so many pending needs to jumpstart growth I rather see this money go toward something that matters like to mass transit and UAB.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Could Birmingham support an NBA or NFL Team??? I do remember the Stallions from the USFL days... NBA maybe?? Baltimore is having the same dilemma and it looks like will likely post pone its new arena because of a poor economy and the lack of an "pro team" though they may have made a go of it without the pro team if the economy was better.:dunno::dunno:

·
Amurika!
1,136 Posts
^^ No, but Jefferson County damn near is. The city is not in the best shape in the world, but it's holding its own. With that said though, Birmingham needs to work on its serious issues, like transit, before pouring money into Langford's latest goddamn money pit. I have no problems with Birmingham trying to better itself, but it has soooooo many problems to deal with. A domed stadium is the last thing it should be concerned with.

Birmingham is kind of in a tough situation though, and I do sympathize. The state pretends like it doesn't even exist, so it has to go almost everything alone. It could be worse, but this stadium thing just blows my bloomers.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Could Birmingham support an NBA or NFL Team??? I do remember the Stallions from the USFL days... NBA maybe?? Baltimore is having the same dilemma and it looks like will likely post pone its new arena because of a poor economy and the lack of an "pro team" though they may have made a go of it without the pro team if the economy was better.:dunno::dunno:
No on the NBA, it would be a bigger disaster than that thing they have going down in Memphis. read the other day that the actual average attendance for Grizzlies home games was about 7,000 this year.

NFL, maybe but a 57,000 seat stadium would probably be the smallest in the league. Of course Alabama is a big football state, but thats college football. There are definitely much more attractive markets for NFL teams than Birmingham.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts