Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else getting sick and tired and reading all this constant headline news.

My personal opinion is that it is a chance for a Tory government to attack Birmingham's Labour council, gain UKIP supporters, and tap into the general feeling of discomfort towards Muslim religion within the UKs growing (atheist?) population.

I don't deny that in a tiny percentage of schools there will be some more traditional and probably less tolerant Muslim views being gently pushed onto children, but I cannot see any extremism here, and how diffirent is it anyway to Catholic schools.

The Trojan Horse letter now appears to be a hoax. Possibly a carefully planned spark to ignite a bigger fire? The creation of academy schools also defies rationale when you consider it, why create schools where effectively sections of society can almost "do what they want", I'm sure there are all kinds of crazy ideas being preached and how is that headline news, really it was bound to happen and is the Government's own creation and forced on BCC surely? Religion in this day and age has no place in school unless it's part of an educational curriculum whereby all aspect of religions are explained and kids can make up their own minds, common sense for gods sake.

Regardless, I feel extremly sorry for Birmingham council having to deal with this storm, and isn't only one of the schools in this row under BCC control? I thought the others were Government created? I also feel sorry for the kids and parents who are probably wondering what on earth is going on. I visit Birmingham regularly and I have never witnessed any kind of Muslim extremism or lack of respect for the city or others.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
p.s. sorry for posting here, I couldn't find the education thread. Feel free to leave here of move to skybar etc.

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
I think one school is under the control of Bham but that school is not connected to to the Trojan Horse investigations.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that is unbelievably unfair as the way I am perceiving it from Government and media is that.. it's BCC's fault the schools in the spotlight, regardless of the spoof letter, are being led astray. It is not being made clear at all that it is in fact a predicament forced upon BCC by Government and.. to make things worse it now appears Gove ignored the warnings made several years ago from someone within the Birmimngham education system. I think Labour are also being typical wet lettuces by not challenging this. I really have lost faith in all polotical parties of late, they all seem as back stabbing and useless as each other. No wonder UKIP has started picking up votes.

Where on earth is the voice of common sense and reason.

·
The promised land
17,632 Posts
I agree, it's not clear that the majority of the schools involved are under their own control. Park View is the one under control of Bham (i think) which has been put into special measures.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It's very difficult to get a clear view of the facts, every report seems to have an agenda behind it, really disapointing when kids education becomes a political football. From what I've read or viewed the journalists and politicians kicking the ball seem far more interested in their own or their papers agenda then they are the kids trying to learn their times tables. The whole thing seems to me to be a sad take on modern society...

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The link to terrorism and/or extremism has not been proven, so the whole 'Trojan horse' issue doesn't have any basis.

But nonetheless, some of the things happening at these schools are still deeply worrying. I don't think these problems are unique to Birmingham, they probably happen at lots of schools across the country.

The OP is absolutely right that there's a flaw in the academies model. There was cross-party support for giving schools more freedom to set their own budgets, hire and fire teachers as they see fit, allow good schools to expand, etc. But Gove has gone much, much further and in some respects these schools now have too much freedom. They can opt out of the curriculum as they see fit, they can hire teachers who have no proper qualifications, the can play around with the length of the school day and school holidays, and there is no longer proper local oversight for these schools.

So when schools can do whatever they want, with minimum standards which have been watered down and no proper monitoring, it's no surprise that we have schools which start introducing polices which are unpalatable to the rest of society.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree, it's not clear that the majority of the schools involved are under their own control. Park View is the one under control of Bham (i think) which has been put into special measures.
Park View is definitely an Academy. The only one (I think) the Council are responsible for is Saltly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts