·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The race is on to find UK's first ‘City of Culture’ for 2013
097/09
14 July 2009

Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw launches national competition

A competition open to the whole of the UK to find the nation’s first ‘City of Culture’ was launched today by Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw. The winning city will become a focus for national attention in 2013 and could host high-profile media events including the Turner Prize, BBC Sports Personality of the Year, The Brits and the Stirling Prize as part of their year in the spotlight.

Building on Liverpool’s success as European Capital of Culture in 2008 the successful city could expect to see economic and social benefits flow in, leaving a lasting legacy. The initiative is being launched following a feasibility study by Phil Redmond.

And not just cities can apply. Bids will also be welcome from closely linked urban areas, or cities with their surrounding areas. The important thing is that there must be a clear central focus to the area.

Bidders will have until 16 October this year to submit an outline application, with a deadline of 11 December for initial bids. Expert assessors will then look at bids received and an independent advisory panel will recommend a short list to be announced early in 2010. Finally, those bids that are short listed have until 28 May to submit their full and final bids. Once these have been assessed and a recommendation made by the independent advisory panel, the final winner will be announced by the Culture Secretary later that year.

Ben Bradshaw said:

“Culture is something that we are incredibly good at in the UK. But excellence and innovation in the arts does not begin and end inside the M25 and I believe we have been too London-centric for too long in our cultural life. So this competition aims to find a city or area outside London that has the wow factor, with exciting and credible plans to make a step change in its cultural life and engage the whole country.

“Liverpool’s success last year brought pride, confidence and real economic regeneration to the area. Their triumphant year shows that the title of City of Culture will be a prize very much worth having, with a huge amount to play for.

“National cultural organisations and funding bodies are backing the plan and I am grateful to them for their support so far. I also thank Phil Redmond for his work to make this exciting concept a reality.”

Phil Redmond added:

“Liverpool benefited tremendously in 2008, from simply having a badge of authority that allowed people to work collaboratively together to enhance and maximize every event throughout the city. It also acted as a focal point for every cultural economic and social agenda – including permission to enjoy themselves. Culture is not an amorphous concept: it is at the heart of everything we do. To bring about any step change you need to bring about cultural shift and that is where cultural practitioners can help by introducing new ideas and new ways of doing things. Something we will all have to do looking to a rapidly changing digital world.”
http://www.culture.gov.uk/reference_library/media_releases/6256.aspx

There's some good reasoned debate on the Stirrer and thought we may as well have a thread.

Good idea or bad idea? Should we be bidding? If so how can we ensure success this time? discuss :)

·
#pragma
1,320 Posts
I like the idea of having a city of culture, just hate all the bidding. Bidding leads to cities sniping at each other and just creates resentment (and wastes a pile of cash).

(or that was my impression for the National Stadium and EU Capital of Culture bids)

·
Registered
334 Posts
ah, a stirree

ive opted for 'bad idea'
basically because its a crap idea to start with, & theres really no point in getting involved in it.

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
I question the Turner Prize - it's a worthy accolade for those that receive such prizes. How much does the average person benefit from holding this event?

I have my doubts over their willingness to move away from London for this?

·
Registered
334 Posts
thought i should highlight something:

"The winning city will become a focus for national attention in 2013 and could host high-profile media events including the Turner Prize, BBC Sports Personality of the Year, The Brits and the Stirling Prize as part of their year in the spotlight."

notice the word 'could'
also, none of the 4 events listed are anything whatsoever to do with the UK Government

Birmingham has hosted BBC SPY twice already, it has started to go to venues outside of London.
the Stirling Prize has also already been held in various other locations outside of London.

the Turner Prize is awarded by the Tate, so wont move
the Brits are an industry event, so wont move outside of London

so basically, the winning city would have the same opportunity to host a few events that it already has now.

theres also no money with it, so what is that city's culture supposed to do 'extra' during the year, when the city has spent the budget on entering a pointless competition?

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
"Real time recreation of Clif’s Brum-set masterpiece Take Me High — in original locations, Gas St, Alpha Tower, Council House —by Stan’s Cafe."

THAT'S GOT MY SUPPORT

·
Registered
347 Posts
From Birmingham Mail today:

Birmingham launches bid for UK City of Culture status

Birmingham has launched its bid to become the UK's first City of Culture, with a £200 million boost to the local economy expected if it is successful.

Birmingham is among 22 other cities who are vying for the cultural crown including Lancaster, Southend-on-sea, Swansea Bay, Aberdeen and Durham.

The participating cities must submit their bid to become the City of Culture in 2013 by December 10 with the shortlisted cities to be decided in January 2010 by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).

Birmingham's bid will be managed through the Birmingham Cultural Partnership (BCP) and the finalists will have until May 28 2010 to make their last attempts at the title.

Chairman of the Birmingham Cultural Partnership, Cllr Martin Mullaney said: "Birmingham already has a fantastic cultural offer of international quality. Now we want to shout about it and of course enhance it.

"Within the city our aim is to increase participation because we know culture can play a key part in lasting social regeneration.

"We also want to make it clear that this is a bid for the whole of Birmingham and that's why we're asking residents what they would like to see included in a City of Culture programme.

"The potential economic benefits are massive. Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture was worth a massive £800 million to the city region and estimates suggest UK City of Culture status could be worth up to £200 million."

In a further move to secure the title Birmingham has launched an interactive website which encourages residents in the area to give their views and ideas.

One resident to visit the site added: "Since moving to Birmingham in March I have been overjoyed with the amount of variety available culturally.

"I have been regularly practising Break-dance with B-Boys Attic, training the Afro-Brazilian Capoeira with Cordeo De Ouro, a little samba with Aquella Dance and enjoying some roots reggae thanks to Jam Jah at The Bulls Head, Moseley.

"It has has a massive impact on me and my artistic practices."

The winner of the City of Culture bid will be announced by the Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw in the Summer of 2010.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/...for-uk-city-of-culture-status-65233-25357158/

·
Registered
21,078 Posts
Apparently Manchester has pulled out of the race to become Britains first city of culture, they think they dont need it as they are sooooooooo cultural already, lol. Cultural, probably not, however more people have a positive image of Manchester than Birmingham, even i admit that. Well at least thats one big rival out of the way, so here to Birmingham 2013???????

·
Registered
21,078 Posts
No its not for a city like Birmingham where "perceptions" of the city are well below what the city is actually like. Birmingham needs to win things like this if it wants to be taken seriously in my book anyway. It has many attractions that need to be shown around the country and this is one event that will do just that. I fully support Birminghams bid for this accolade and "why" shouldnt it???? Birmingham has just beaten Madrid in a vote in Switzerland to have the city in the spotlight next year for "fine" dining so this should be a easy win for us. Birmingham beating spains capital city at anything, who would of though this a few years ago, not many. It goes to show though that the city is aspiring to be a first class city in many ways, usually with the city having much more praise from people overseas than people actually in the UK for some strange reason, but actually its not all that strange as the UK is centred around London with a new "Jerusalem" of the north trying to get a foot in, a city called Manchester.

·
The promised land
17,647 Posts
i dont think the uk city of culture will do anything, no money, no publicity, pointless i rekon, but hey, if it cost nothing to bid might aswel...which i doubt is the case

·
Registered
21,078 Posts
How do you know it wont have any publicity?? It already has with the bidding process, Birminghams name is there for all to see and to let everybody know that we are not going to just go away, we want to be known as a great city to visit and to live(something some brummies dont even appreciate sometimes, all taken for granted)
Not only that though as the first part of the redeveloped New street station will then be open for all to see and also hopefully the opening of our new Library of Birmingham, so should have even more to showcase that year.

·
The promised land
17,647 Posts
the only people that will see this are people in the uk, i guess you could say, this will go some way to improving a media image, however, the best messages are those that come from people who form opinions, or people we trust and i fail to see how the "uk" (this being the word here) city of culture will improve anything much.

plus we shall see if these events actually move and stay in which ever city gets it...which is key of course. like an ofam advert, give a man the skills and he'll feed for a lifetime...move for one yr then go back will be a short term boost.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts