SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know it's a hilly old place and traipsing around the city centre, on some of my old photo jaunts, used to make me cut short a photo session or two due to the exertion of it all - or maybe it's just the fact I'm getting on a bit :yes:

This thread is for any photos showing the hilly side of our city or personal experiences of one-hill-too-far scenarios, wether it be sober or inebriated accounts! This is city-wide not just for the centre.

Here's a classic example: Who can spot one of the Sentinals in this photo?

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^Fantastic picture!

Not the best way of showing it really:

View down Holloway Head. You can just catch the sloping gradient!

View down Lionel Street or Water Street or something. Completely forgot!

Plus, the Bullring is a great place to show. I remember it drops about 15 metres or feet from New Street to Moat Street! :eek:

·
BAND AID
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^

Where that second photo is taken from is pretty much where I park on the few occasions I take my car into town - it's a long walk back to that point when you've got weary old legs!

Your first photo is superb Erebus: it shows why the current Nat West tower is so prominent, from so many angles whereas its taller, near neighbour appears so stumpy at times

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I rarely go to Holloway Head. When I walk around town on my photography trips, I tend to walk the Middle Ring Road and climbing up from Holloway Circus can feel like climbing Snowdon after 3 days of no sleep! Blister-tastic!

I'm actually surprised how well the first photo turned out. It's a shame the lamp posts and signs were in the way as they really do clutter up the view! Love a bit of early morning February sun shine! :)

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
What a cool thread. Too proper to be in the skybar.

Yeah Bullring is best example. The slope is supposed to be half the height of the rotunda which brings it home how big it is, and not least when the bullring has ground entrances on 3 levels.

The slope is actually the end of the sandstone ridge as it slopes down to the rea valley to where Brummagum was founded.

·
3,633 Posts
I remember an unusual photo of half the ferris wheel peeping over a small hill. Maybe one of yours Smiley?

I also remember hearing about someone getting pulled over by the police for trying to take a photo while driving back when I first joined the forums. :lol: Anyone else remember?

Anyway, I think this one is a little deceiving as it looks like the Sentinal on the left is taller and further away then the one on the right, when in reality it is closer and the same height.

·
Simples
6,762 Posts
What was that Green crane over in Simley's pic then?

·
Banned
73 Posts
View coming from Coventry is a good one to try and grasp the topography.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,461 Posts
Love that picture, except the bloody Asda draws my eye because its colour stands out from everything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts