SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready for a trip to Miami (3 days before boarding a cruise) and I'm trying to study up on Miami history and current development too. I have a few questions about the area. I'll be staying at the Hilton for a couple days, so I plan on taking advantage of the nearby Metromover to give myself a tour of the area. I've never been to Brickell, so I'm excited about walking down Brickell Ave enjoying the sites.

First, this thread is probably my SSC overall favorite thread even though it's becoming dated.

1) Is there anything planned to happen to the parcel of land immediately to the south of Ten Museum? That gas station(?) has that look of an expiration date when you have those towers going up next to it. :lol:

2) What is the future of the area behind the Biscayne Wall (if that has been determined already)? Surely the Wall won't end unceremoniously into a sea of 1 story buildings and parking lots. The Metromover line alone should be enough to spark a massive redevelopment on the west side of the Metromover. The area extending towards the old Miami Arena should be ripe for some new life.

3) I'm really trying to find a specific picture from 1 or 2 years ago that showed 18 cranes. There was much praise to the picture, and if anyone knows what I am talking about, please post a link or the pic itself.

4) I think someone beat me to the punch, and recently asked about the parcel of land on the south side of the Miami River on the east side of Miami Ave. It's owned by the people who own the Four Seasons? That land is PRIME. I look forward to walking along the river too.

5) Brickell Key. Should I venture over there, or do you have to live there to get on the island?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I am getting ready for a trip to Miami (3 days before boarding a cruise) and I'm trying to study up on Miami history and current development too. I have a few questions about the area. I'll be staying at the Hilton for a couple days, so I plan on taking advantage of the nearby Metromover to give myself a tour of the area. I've never been to Brickell, so I'm excited about walking down Brickell Ave enjoying the sites.

First, this thread is probably my SSC overall favorite thread even though it's becoming dated.

1) Is there anything planned to happen to the parcel of land immediately to the south of Ten Museum? That gas station(?) has that look of an expiration date when you have those towers going up next to it. :lol:

2) What is the future of the area behind the Biscayne Wall (if that has been determined already)? Surely the Wall won't end unceremoniously into a sea of 1 story buildings and parking lots. The Metromover line alone should be enough to spark a massive redevelopment on the west side of the Metromover. The area extending towards the old Miami Arena should be ripe for some new life.

3) I'm really trying to find a specific picture from 1 or 2 years ago that showed 18 cranes. There was much praise to the picture, and if anyone knows what I am talking about, please post a link or the pic itself.

4) I think someone beat me to the punch, and recently asked about the parcel of land on the south side of the Miami River on the east side of Miami Ave. It's owned by the people who own the Four Seasons? That land is PRIME. I look forward to walking along the river too.

5) Brickell Key. Should I venture over there, or do you have to live there to get on the island?

Thanks.
First of all, I hope you enjoy your trip in Miami. Let us know how it goes.

1. As of now, there's nothing planned for the gas station next to Ten Museum Park.

2. The future for that area is unknown for now, but there is a major redevelopment mixed-use project for the three or so blocks that follow the wall west. It's called "Miami World Center". Here's the link:http://www.miamiworldcenter.com/

5. Brickell Key is public so you can walk there. Never really been there, but it looks nice. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

And, I checked out the Miami World Center link. Gasp! I hope that makes it to fruition.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
4) Millenium Partners owns Four Seasons, Brickell Tennis Club, and they used to own the lot you mention, not sure if they still do, not sure of the plans for it.

5) Not much to Brickell Key besides a nice path and the nice view. Can't really discourage it, but I don't really recomend it either.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
5) Not much to Brickell Key besides a nice path and the nice view. Can't really discourage it, but I don't really recomend it either.
There are nice, yet a little expensive, restaurants and bars at the Mandarin Oriental. The spa is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I don't find the MO food and beverage outlets to be a good value. I would recommend The Standard Hotel for a waterfront spa.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find it a little sad that out fo the 4 buildings in the Biscayne wall, not 1 has been able to announce even a minor retail establishment opening up any time soon.. What this area needs is a reason for people to walk over there, especially with the theaters and Arena SOOO close by. Hopefully we will see some restaurants or so being annonunces soon, because it then takes 6 months to a year for them to get running. Furthermore, hopefully we start getting some variety, not just the fuffy stuff we keep getting in brickell....

I know these buildings are not perfect for more affordable and family owned restaurants, but I would like to see some of those opening up somewhere else besides the heart of the CBD. ANy thoughts or news?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts