SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took these photos 07/11/11 PM of private new build scheme, Phase 1 which was completed approx 2 years back

Main Contractor: McInerney Homes who went into Adminisration April 2011 leaving Phase 2 site area ( to west of Churchill Rd ) standing with just a few foundations in place. The site however had "stood still" with no work progressing for over 12 months prior to this event occurring.

HOWEVER

Miller Homes Ltd have taken over site and work is now in progress - see separate follow up message for Phase 2

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling

Miller Homes haved recently started work on the site that had "stopped" for a period before and after the Administration of previous contractor McInerney Homes in April 2011

Here are a few pictures taken 07/11/11 PM showing work in progress

Sunderland Rd elevation

Churchill Rd

Appear to be working west from Churchill Rd which unless I am mistaken was previously called Emily Street (the carriageway leading into the Old Fold Estate, passing under the railway lines)

Is the housing market finally picking up!

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling

Further to my previous post #321 dated 07/11/11 work is progressing on this site

It seems most of structure to properties at junction with Churchill Rd done and seems lot of "imported material" now on site and being screened, treated etc ( hence machines) as well as drainage & kerbs etc being carried out

and no comments about the name of these DUROX concrete blocks please

Used them on a scheme some years back and these are extremely good at insulating and are so light in weight when compared with other type of blocks can be picked up with 2 fingers = "featherlight" but very easy to break - someone likened them to aero chocolate

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 02/01/12

Further to my previous posts #321 dated 07/11/11 and #417 of 23/11/11 work is progressing on this site

It seems most of structure to properties at junction with Churchill Rd is now well advanced and superstructure of properties down that road are in progress and seems lot of "imported material" now on site having been screened, treated etc ( Ref #417) as well as drainage & kerbs etc being carried out

Below are pictures taken by myself 02/01/12 approx 1130 ( hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of works

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 12/03/12

Further to my previous posts #321 dated 07/11/11 , #417 of 23/11/11 and #478 of 03/01/12 work is progressing on this site

Most of structure to properties at junction Sunderland Rd/Churchill Rd is now well advanced (roof tiling in progress) and superstructure of properties down Churchill Road are well in progress (those closest to railway looking nearly complete subject to external works being carried out)

4 Showhomes on Sunderland Road "complete"

Road and street lighting network to other areas of site in progress

Below are pictures taken by myself 12/03/12 approx 1515 ( hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of works

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 25/04/12

Further to my previous post #613 dated 13/03/12 (and earlier) work is progressing on this site

Most of properties at junction Sunderland Rd/Churchill Rd and on Curchill Rd (formerly Emily St) are now well advanced and work is progressing on properties immediately behind them ( moving west)
Road and street lighting network to other areas of site in progress

Below are further pictures taken by myself 25/04/12 approx 0945 ( hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of works

This is copy of "Google StreetView" showing extent of site ( in advance of the works starting) between Hylton St in west to Emily St ( now called Churchill Rd) to the east

My pictures

Sunderland Rd/ Churchill Rd

Other views

Looking east across site area

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 29/06/12

Further to my previous post #638 dated 25/04/12 work is progressing seemingly slowly on this site

Most of properties at junction Sunderland Rd/Churchill Rd and on Curchill Rd (formerly Emily St) are now well advanced and work is progressing on properties immediately behind them ( moving west)

Below are further pictures taken by myself 29/06/12 approx 0830 ( hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of works

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 03/08/12

Further to my previous post #682 dated 29/06/12 work is progressing seemingly very slowly on this site - probably due to lack of sales due to collapsed housing market

This is screen print of site plan from Miller Homes website (hosted on Photobucket)

Most of properties at junction Sunderland Rd/Churchill Rd and on Churchill Rd (formerly Emily St) are now well advanced (if not completed) and work is progressing on properties immediately behind them (moving west but very slowly)

Below are further pictures taken by myself 03/08/12 approx 0845 ( hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of ongoing works to houses left of plan and near to rail tracks

and work on central grassed area that has been carried out despite there being no houses built in immediate area

Think it will a long time before completion

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 07/11/12

Further to my previous post #720 dated 03/08/12 work is progressing again on this site - in small batches probably due to lack of sales due to collapsed housing market

These pictures by myself 07/11/12 approx 1045 ( hosted on Photobucket) showing ongoing work as well as rear elevations etc of completed properties that have not been covered on earlier posts due to site hoardings and fencing obscuring views

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 09/02/13

Further to my previous post #822 dated 07/11/12 work is progressing slowly on this site - in small batches probably due to lack of sales due to collapsed housing market

These pictures by myself 09/02/13 approx 1045 (hosted on Photobucket) show ongoing work - compare with latter equivalent pictures in post #822 to see how small the progress has been in approx 3 months

KEN

·
Registered
406 Posts
Further to my previous post #822 dated 07/11/12 work is progressing slowly on this site - in small batches probably due to lack of sales due to collapsed housing market

These pictures by myself 09/02/13 approx 1045 (hosted on Photobucket) show ongoing work - compare with latter equivalent pictures in post #822 to see how small the progress has been in approx 3 months

KEN
Is it me or do these houses, and typically many others built elsewhere recently, look like boxes vinyl-wrapped with coloured CAD drawings?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That can't be right, we're desperate for new housing and the plots on which to build it.

·
The Legend
13,173 Posts
I know houses seem to be getting smaller and smaller (something that will comeback to haunt those who buy them in future with regards to houses prices) but they are just unbelievably small. The fact that the garages are wider than the living space says it all really.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
In those houses the living space will probably either be at the back or the storey above. Saying that, you're completely right Chris, these houses will be incredibly pokey, but that's just the way housing is in this country. The government needs to introduce two things to change it:

- Minimum space standards across all house types and tenures (currently you get mixed housing developments and you get pokey for-sale houses subsidising the cost of larger, roomier social housing).

- All estate agents having to advertise a property's area in m2, not just the number of bedrooms (developers just build more tiny rooms).

And yes, they do look like they've been shrink wrapped with "vernacular features". Maybe it's time that the planners let developers build houses that reflect the way that they're built, at least it doesn't look so fake.

Saying all of that, at least this provides homes, which we need, plus I've seen much worse and they'll look better once they're lived in and there's some tree planting. The housing market has collapsed though, because despite so many people being desperate to buy the banks can't/won't lend the mortgages people need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sunderland Road Housing Development. Photos taken 29/04/13.

This site always seems to be fairly active but never seems to progress. They tore down the blocks of houses years ago now and there is still a lot of land left to rebuild:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The second part of the development on Sunderland Road, to the 'left' of the photos is not due to complete until 2014. I suppose the slow speed of development will be due to general lack of demand in the market.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Couple the economy with the less than desireable area and it isn't surprising they are proceeding so slowly.
....not to mention the somewhat dreary and predictable housing design. If the housing models were a car they'd be as stylish as a 1980s Nissan Sunny. If they were a kind of weather, they'd be like a dull drizzly day, if they were a kind of food they'd be over-boiled white cabbage. What sort of market wants that?

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bishops Park Phase 2 new build housing Sunderland Rd, Gateshead/Felling as at 08/06/13

Further to my previous post #908 dated 10/02/13 and NorthernSoul88 post #1029 dated 29/04/13 on this project work has finally started to progress on this site - probably due to pick up of sales

These pictures by myself Saturday 08/06/13 approx 1500 (hosted on Photobucket) show ongoing work

By all accounts the 4 bedroom townhouses in region £ 175 - 180,000 fronting Sunderland Rd (foundations and retaining wall in latter pictures above) will not have long flight of steps down to main entrance - they are to be on 3 levels with garage etc area at lowest level and front door at level 2 close to existing footpath level

Miller website for development with site plan, house types etc http://www.millerhomes.co.uk/developments/north-east/miller-at-bishops-park-sunderland-road.aspx#tabStyles

KEN

1 - 20 of 88 Posts