SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
22 wins in a row.:cheers: she only just made the first place in Royal Ascot . the jocky pulled her up way before the end because she was suffering an injury but still won. a true legend. her website
www.blackcaviar.net.au
she may now retire but trainer says they will see progress over next few months
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-25/black-caviar-victorious-despite-injuries/4089658

Black Caviar victorious despite injuries

By Europe correspondent Rachael Brown
Posted June 25, 2012 07:20:34

Video: Gerard Whateley joins Offsiders to reflect on the historic victory for Black Caviar (Offsiders)
Related Story: Nolen receives rough ride in UKRelated Story: Co-owner does not expect retirementRelated Story: Caviar still queen despite Ascot scare
Audio: Black Caviar wins Diamond Jubilee (ABC News)
Map: England
Champion mare Black Caviar sustained muscle tears and severe bruising during her narrow victory at Royal Ascot at the weekend.

At the Diamond Jubilee Stakes, the Australian thoroughbred extended her unbeaten streak to 22 wins from 22 starts.

The performance of the jockey was criticised after the nerve-wracking win, and questions were raised about the future of the mare.

But it has now been confirmed that Black Caviar crossed the finish line injured, and would have been restricted as a result.

And while the mare's racing future is up in the air, her breeding prospects are sure to be lucrative.

As dawn broke the day after the big race, the vets were already at work at the Newmarket stables checking on two muscle tears and severe bruising to Black Caviar's hind legs.

Co-owner Colin Madden says the race really knocked her around.

"She has a couple of minor muscle tears in her hind quarters and so they’re letting her cool down and they’ll re-appraise her over the next few days," he told AM.

"She's gone into quarantine because it was quite clear it was time for her to come back to Australia."

This is a plausible, tangible explanation as to why she didn't run in the same manner that we have seen in the past. She’s had to dig in for the fight right at the end and try to win on heart.
ABC race caller Gerard Whateley
He says time will tell if the Royal Ascot was Black Caviar's last race.

"I would love her to return to Flemington [which in] my view of racing is the home of racing for all Australians," he said.

"I’d love to see her get back to the spring carnival.

"But our overriding view has been: let us do what is in her best interests."

Trainer Peter Moody says it is unclear at what point in the race Black Caviar suffered the injuries

He says the mare will be rested while she recovers, and the injury only increases his admiration of her efforts.

ABC race caller Gerard Whateley agrees the injuries make Black Caviar's win all the more heroic.

"Everything it seems went wrong, so when (jockey) Luke Nolan eased up on her, he didn’t expect her to stop virtually on the spot, and that’s because she was in pain," he said.

"So it will feel more rational in his mind now, the explanation as to why she did what she did.

"So rather than the immediate thought being that her brilliance is dulled and she’s not the horse she has been ... this is a plausible, tangible explanation as to why she didn't run in the same manner that we have seen in the past.

"She was injured. It’s the second time in her career that she’s had to dig in for the fight right at the end and try to win on heart.

"If she recovers from what are pretty standard muscle injuries, the stable will probably continue on."

Video: Melbourne roars for Caviar (ABC News)

Breeding prospects
Black Caviar's racing future is up in the air, but her breeding prospects will be lucrative.

There has been talk of mating the filly affectionately known as Nelly with Frankel - Britain's unbeaten stallion.

Breeders say a colt from that pairing could fetch more than $10 million, but that idea is being played down by Black Caviar's part-owner, Neil Werrett.

"They've said that Frankel will never travel outside Europe or the US and we’re not likely to take her overseas to her breed her," he told AM.

"In Australia we have probably three or four of the best stallions in the world.

"We raised her, we’ve looked after her, she’s probably one of the best bred horses in the world and any foal out of her is going to be, we would expect, a very good racehorse.

"All the people in the syndicate are keen to keep her progeny."

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
22 wins from 22 starts is a great achievement, amazing, but for me the real quality (and the prize money) is in the longer races rather than the 1000-1200 metre sprints that Black Caviar runs in.

Our best race is really the Cox plate (2040m), and that's been won by great horses recently such as So You Think, Fields of Omagh, Makybe Diva, Northerly, Sunline, Might and Power, Saintly, Super Impose, Better Loosen Up and of course the great Kingston Town, who won the Cox Plate 3 times.

Makybe Diva also winning 3 Melbourne Cups (3200m) is a huge achievement.

On the question of prize money, Black Caviar has 22 wins and $6.8 million, Might and Power who raced 15 years ago had 15 wins and $5.2 million. Makybe Diva last raced in 2005 and has 15 wins and $14.5 million.

The current total prize purse for the Cox Plate is $3m, the Melbourne Cup $6.175m, the Diamond Jubilee Stakes that Black Caviar won was 400,000 pounds, of which the winner gets £227,080. The biggest sprint races in Australia would be about $1m in prize money, still pretty good.

All the big money is in the longer races, and for that reason there is a lot more competition there and the truly great horses race at those distances against very strong opposition. I'm not knocking Black Caviar, I watched the race myself and was delighted that she held on for the win, but lets not get carried away with best since Phar Lap stuff for a sprinter.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
^^I agree the ultimate judgement of a horse is at weight for age over about 2000m so the winner of the Cox Plate is the truest champion racehorse of this country.

Kingston Town won 3 in a row and Phar Lap won it twice as well as the Ague Caliente Hdp (The world's richest race at the time in North America, WFA and over 2000m and in World Record Time).

The only way the VRC could stop Phar Lap was to handicap him harshly and put a house on his back ie. 1931 Melbourne Cup. This is the main reason why the owners left Australia and took him to America.

On a side note: In reference to the 1931 Melbourne Cup and to put it into perspective, the winner that year carried about 98 pounds. Phar Lap carried more than 150 pounds to finish 8th. In modern racing this disparity is unheard of.

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good news about black caviar is the tear wasnt ligament just muscle, so she will be back in spring.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
22 wins in a row.:cheers: she only just made the first place in Royal Ascot . the jocky pulled her up way before the end because she was suffering an injury but still won.
The jockey pulled up early because he knew she was injured? i hadnt seen it reported that way anywhere. If that was the case he wouldnt have been crucified for almost losing it.

Wasnt it simply a misjudgment on his part for thinking it was done and dusted and pulling up early? And the injury wasnt discovered until after the race?

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
It was a mistake on the jockeys part, and he has been big enough to admit it. Not sure where this "jockey knew she was injured stuff" comes from.

·
In the sweetspot
9,047 Posts
I reckon a trivia night question will be "How much did Black Caviar win by in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes?" to which most will incorrectly answer "a nose".

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I reckon a trivia night question will be "How much did Black Caviar win by in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes?" to which most will incorrectly answer "a nose".
they will then be told "well if you nose tell us the answer!..."

·
Registered
597 Posts
You know how Black Caviar is regarded as Australia's greatest racehorse since Phar Lap?...ummmmmmmm so does that mean she's NZ bred?

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
Thoroughbred race horses are in demand when they retire. They are high quality horses, police use them and many people interested in show jumping and eventing. If I had the space I'd want one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
whattabout the level of competition the horse race against? any competition or just a bunch of no names making up the numbers....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts