SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another new find for the Gateway area in Umhlanga...

Completion Date: 31/05/2010

Description:

A pedestrian bridge is to be built across the N2, between Gateway and Sibaya to allow for easier access between Blackburn and the Gateway precinct. This project is Joint Venture with Devru Construction for client South African National Roads Agency.

Programme:
The project will commence this month (July 2009) and is due to be completed before mid year 2010.

Features:
The bridge will be a cable stay bridge crossing the N2, a unique feature for KwaZulu Natal. A pathway will lead from the bridge to the Gateway precinct.

A new cable-stayed pedestrian bridge is to be built across the N2, just north of Gateway, formalizing the existing link of the settlement of Blackburn Village to the Umhlanga New Town Precinct.

The bridge is a welcome addition to the infrastructure north of Durban. The intention is to eliminate unsafe use of the N2 as a pedestrian route, by providing a walkway over the freeway. In the same instance, the design allows for the bridge to be an attractive entrance feature along the national road to the northern precinct of Durban. The bridge is the first of its kind in KwaZulu Natal.

J.T. Ross commenced with civil and building work on this project in July 2009, in a joint venture with Devru Construction for its client, being the South African National Roads Agency. The bridge is expected to be complete before mid 2010, prior to the start of the 2010 FIFA Worldcup.

The 177 meter long bridge will stretch across the freeway, approximately 10 meters above the N2 carriageways. Staging construction will be utilized which will require intensive use of scaffolding and a temporary bridge to allow the building of the deck. In the centre of the bridge, between the northbound and southbound lanes, an A-Frame pylon will feature, reaching 61 meters into the air. 70 meter long cables will span out from the top of the pylon to the deck of the bridge.

The bridge deck will be 4.9 meters wide with 2,1 meter high security screens on either side. Provision is made for protection of the cable stays from vandalism and anti-graffiti components will be implemented at both the pylons and at the entrances to the pedestrian bridge.

A concrete, paved and protected walkway will run from the end of the bridge to the Umhlanga New Town road network. Freeway roadworks to allow for the bridge construction to commence include construction of new lay-byes on both carriageways and the Flanders subway just south of the pedestrian bridge is set to be widened.

Little disruption to traffic is expected as two lanes on each carriageway will be retained. Strict traffic monitoring and safety measures form an essential component of the project to keep interruption of traffic to a minimum.
J.T. Ross and Devru Construction are committed to the high quality of workmanship required on this project and are proud to be involved in what is set to become a striking feature of KwaZulu Natal, and a highly necessary and practical one at that.

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Wow!..

That looks awesome...

Except I know it won't change ANY of the pedestrian traffic on the freeway. I used to drive into JHB (near Germiston I think) often and the buggers would cross the freeway RIGHT under the pedestrian bridge that was built...

·
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
walk across this easy bridge or down a hill across 3 lanes of traffic, down and up a ravine, over 3 more lanes and then up a steep bank....hmmm they would be stupid not to use the bridge!

That said, i think it is another awesome looking bridge...will look great lit up at night and another focal point when entering the area

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
dysan : Yeah I know logic dictates using the bridge (for intelligent people)...

But this would be ppl walking across 3 lanes either way of some of the busiest highway in the country, rather than walk up a few steps and over a safe bridge...

I do hope they do use the bridge, though they will have to wrap it in some kind of mesh very quickly because it will be used to drop rocks and such on cars... (Or i could look at the render more closely and see that they'll already do it :) )

·
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ read the article a bit more closely on the rocks/mesh issue...

also if you look at the pic, they would have to walk even lower down than the bridge to make it freeway level...

But i do get what you are saying, alot of bridges are built for pedestrians with very little thought going into their design and often it is easier to cross the road than to use the bridge...least in this case i think they have planned well

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Also just looking at that "render"

Depending on the surrounding buildings when the bridge is finished, and the plans for the area.. I hope its not a boring concrete structure and they actually give it some life by painting it white or something like that.... I actually think it would look really really awesome in white.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Wow!..

That looks awesome...

Except I know it won't change ANY of the pedestrian traffic on the freeway. I used to drive into JHB (near Germiston I think) often and the buggers would cross the freeway RIGHT under the pedestrian bridge that was built...

I know the bridge you talking about, unfotunately criminasl used the bridge as an advantage to rob people and that is why people didn't use the bridge.

·
East Coast Massiv
16,652 Posts
^^Yeh thats pretty unfortunate, Ive heard similar stories about it here in Durbs, my maid couldnt cross one bridge on her way home esp after shes gotten paid because guys just wait for people on the bridge....

But its good for the area, and the banks are quite steep for many to go down. Hopefully we wont get any part time tugs applying their trade on this bridge as it is much needed for this part of the N2 & will hopefully decrease the pedestrian activity on the N2.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
WoW! What a great addtion to the area. Will make nice impression, driving from the new airport to Umhlanga. Very eye-catching. Given the terrain, I do think people will use it as it's seemingly quite a mission to get across the freeway.

·
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ALOT of work going on on site, that drive from Umhlanga to Ballito has alot of overhead work going on with this bridge and the airport interchange. Not to mention work on the Cornubia interchange is imminent

·
South Straddie QLD
10,893 Posts
why is this not vechicular as well? surely only one crossing point between the ridge and other side of the freeway (whats it called?) is needed?

·
23,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
does anyone drive past here often to update on whats going on? last i saw they had a mother big crane up in the middle of the highway

1 - 20 of 43 Posts