Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Just something
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blackpool International Airport .....

http://www.blackpoolinternational.com/flight-times.php

Blackpool International Airport now offers flights to and from more than 20 fantastic destinations.

http://www.blackpoolinternational.com/airport-facilities.php

A £2m refurbishment of our passenger terminal in 2006 means the airport now has more facilities and services than ever before.

A fresh design and layout gives it the capacity to handle two million passengers a year, and with 14 new check-in desks and extra baggage reclaim facilities passengers can pass through more quickly and conveniently.

The new facilities include a 14-desk check-in concourse, a new Meeting and Arrivals area, new café and restaurant facilities and an Airport & Gateway Tourist Information Centre.

Once through security, passengers can relax in a new open plan Departure Lounge with seating for up to 600 passengers, enjoy a stunning new boutique for tax and duty free shopping, a new restaurant and bar, plus business and conferencing facilities.

·
Just something
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The City of Preston ..... Englands Newest City

http://www.visitpreston.com/index2.htm

Situated in the heart of the colourful county of Lancashire, Preston is the gateway to Lancashire's beautiful landscape and historical sights. Preston, the administrative capital of Lancashire, is the largest and most important commercial centre in the County and it attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. Preston's history dates back to the Doomsday Book and to 1179 with the granting of the Charter, which gave the right to hold a Guild Merchant every 20 years. The "Once in a Preston Guild" tradition continues to this day and we look forward to the next in 2012.

DID YOU KNOW!

Five facts about Preston:

Preston North End Football Club were founder members of the Football League.

The first Spar Shop '8 til late' opened in 1981.

Moor Park is Preston's largest and oldest Park and was originally common land derived from the Royal Forest of Fulwood by the Charter of Henry III in 1235. It was one of the first public parks in the country.

Beacon Fell, on the northern outskirts of Preston, was one of the first Country Parks.

The restaurant 'Bistro French Live' was featured in the Guiness Book of Records as having the widest selection of wines and spirits in the country. They also have a liquor dating from the 1700's.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I wonder if accy will try and troll this one... given as he seems to have turned into a liverpool baiting feind of late?

Lock it, lock it.. it is too controversial and will be bound to raise the hackles of those who see Manchester airport as the only place to concentrate resources on!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
A good thread for posting some pics methinks...

Bus station and office block

A building in the Collonades

The best city centre park in the region?

Library rotunda

Take your pick

PSDA's excuse for a bus station has got nothing on this

Students Union

Offices on the docks

95 metres in the sky

A hero (I love the effect of this statue)

Its based on this picture

Recognise the face you LFC fans?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
nice pics - nice town
the docks suffered as did liverpool's southern system by going for that low grade po-mo 80s' shite though.

·
Just something
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
`Englands newest city` .....

Nice pics Accy,

No, excellent pictures.

I happen to like Preston and I`m sure as `Englands newest city` you should be rightly proud.....which you are.

Well done.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
It's an interesting "nibble" airport: not just "nibbling" at Manchester (like every airport within 50 miles has been for the past five years), but the first time LJLA has been "nibbled" at. Competition is good. :) LJLA has to provide more choice, better services, and respond to any challenge or competitive threat.

I agree with you about Preston, Pie, I also like it (although they don't welcome strangers on the SSC Preston thread), but I'm distressed by those bus station pictures. It's the only truly iconic building that city has produced this past century, and they planned / plan to demolish it, according to accy_troll. And yet, in his photos, it has been painted! Why paint something you plan to demolish? But, you don't paint concrete unless you hate it. What is going on?

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
What Muppit started this ..............

Accura said:
Thank You :)
Your Welcome, :hi:

Now P**s off before we lock this thread :baeh3:

·
Just something
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Teee heee - you rotter ..... lol

·
Just something
9,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
liverpolitan said:
It's an interesting "nibble" airport: not just "nibbling" at Manchester (like every airport within 50 miles has been for the past five years), but the first time LJLA has been "nibbled" at. Competition is good. :) LJLA has to provide more choice, better services, and respond to any challenge or competitive threat.

I agree with you about Preston, Pie, I also like it (although they don't welcome strangers on the SSC Preston thread), but I'm distressed by those bus station pictures. It's the only truly iconic building that city has produced this past century, and they planned / plan to demolish it, according to accy_troll. And yet, in his photos, it has been painted! Why paint something you plan to demolish? But, you don't paint concrete unless you hate it. What is going on?
I like `Prestons` bus station as well Poli, I think they should keep it.

But I suppose the land in now too valuable.

That`s progress for you.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,682 Posts
Some great pictures there - especially that footballer fountain, what a great idea!

Its at times like this that I feel mean for asking the mods to ban Accy - but I'll keep on doing it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Pietari said:
I like `Prestons` bus station as well Poli, I think they should keep it.

But I suppose the land in now too valuable.

That`s progress for you.
They should punch a dozen huge holes through the roof, and insert a dozen huge glazed light wells in, like tubes, each going from the ground level and rising to maybe 50 feet above the height of the bus station. This would open it up to any number of uses, by letting light into the centre of the structure and creating places for service structures (stairs, pipes, wires, ac vents etc). It could look better than the Pompidou Centre, and if necessary you could add a couple of external steel staircases to the sides if that were required to the increase number of people who'd be using it, for fire exits etc.

They could retain a smaller bus station at ground level, and maybe a bit of parking, plus loads of flexible small business spaces. It looks huge, and might be a real magnet for the smaller high-technology and high value added enterprises and start-ups the city of Preston needs to propel itself forwards. If there are floor height problems higher up (which looks likely from the photo) a floor could simply be removed, keeping the beautiful frontage intact), thereby creating full height premises.

On the roof you could have a low-key, small, relaxed and up-market funfair / entertainment place for summer, with cafes and pitch-and-put and those trampoline things you see these days, open in the evenings. Definately some nice grass to sit on would be good.

I think bold colourful glazed tubes (each about 20 feet in diameter), although vertical, would actually complimenet that monolothic horizontal lines of the structure. I am thinking of British Racing Green, Purple, Blood Red, Orange, those sorts of colours - each tube different. The natural light they cast into the interior would be tinted because of the glass, which would create a very cool effect, with some areas tranquil and calming, others energetic. At night, illuminated, it would create a landmark.

I think the same height is necessary, what do others think (another option would be to have them of uneven height, to create a "virtual cluster" effect, maybe with one rising to 200 feet?).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts