SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 375 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What's going on with the whole Wilkinsons thing? The new one hasnt even started and they were meant to be knocking the old one down by next year IIRC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like the new hotel (Boulevard Hotel) at the Pleasure Beach is not far from completion (some parts may already be in use)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Sands Venue. They are now erecting a steel framework on the outside of the building that they have left up. Currently steelwork on the South side and West side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Blackpool Council Leaders have agreed terms and signed with developers for the lease of land at the Blackpool Central site, bringing a deal one step closer that will allow the Enabling Stage, Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the £300m regeneration proposals to get underway.

Cllr Simon Blackburn, Blackpool Council Leader said, “Last Autumn, developers Nikal Ltd and media company Media Invest Entertainment announced proposals for the ‘Blackpool Central’ scheme in the heart of the town. The proposals would include new leisure and visitor attractions and would bring approximately £300m of investment into the town.

“Throughout the course of this year the Council have continued negotiations with Nikal in relation to the terms of the development and for bringing the proposals to fruition. These negotiations are now at an advanced stage and we are delighted to announce that the terms have now been agreed for the release of the land required to kick start development on the site.”

The 17 acre development site which currently includes one of Blackpool’s biggest surface car parks, the magistrate’s court and former police station, will be transformed in several development phases, over the course of eight to nine years, into a world-class visitor attraction with new hotels, restaurants, food market, event square, residential apartments and a multi-storey car park.

It is estimated that the completed development will attract up to 600,000 additional visitors a year with a combined annual spend of £75m. It will also create around 1,000 new jobs.

Cllr Blackburn continued, “The proposals for the site remain very positive and the Council and Developer are now progressing towards agreement of the legal documents with their Commercial and Legal Advisers, with a view to having the deal completed later this Autumn, so that work on the submission of a planning application can commence.

Enabling Phase: This will provide a new multi-storey car park with more than 1,300 spaces replacing the existing open air car park as well as new coach drop off facilities.

Phase 1: The first major phase of the project will incorporate several key components including the UK’s first flying theatre, Virtual Reality Experience, Greatest Mysteries Multimedia Exhibition Space, Adventure Land, Thrill & Gaming Zone, Alien Diner, an artisan food hall, and event square and a 150 bedroom hotel.

Phase 2: Plans include residential apartments, further food and drink outlets and a second hotel comprising 250 bedrooms and landscaped public space.
Radio Wave

(Is it me or is Radio Wave actually a better site to get news now, Gazette is filled to the brim with ads and only lets you read three articles)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Blackpool, once again has been ranked one of the most deprived towns in the U.K. My comments on another thread. Anybody who knows the area, I'm sure will agree:

When you drive around the outskirts of Blackpool things are progressing really well. New major housing developments popping up across the place from Warton to Poulton. Lytham remaining one of the most expensive places for property in the North West. Ribby Hall down the road starting a new development with lodges ranging from 299k to 550k. The M55 link road approved, the Fleetwood & over Wyre bypass has started. Even villages like Hambleton and Stalmine has seen effects of the construction boom.

So much positives surrounding Blackpool, in all fairness the town itself has been improving over the years also. Not my cup of tea but the extension of the tramline, announcement of the market carpark transformation, opening of x2 new hotels this summer, continue investment in the Pleasure Beach etc...

There is a lot to be said about Blackpool and it does seem to be regenerating and attracting investment more than any other U.K seaside town.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly, growing up in Burnley, Blackpool is a much nicer town that has quite a lot going for it, it just gets a bad rep because of the some of the 'tourists' it attracts (the heavy drinking sort who make town a nightmare after dark at the weekends)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad the project around that area can finally get underway, though its a shame they didn't find a temporary location for all those who work there :(

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
It's the first chance I've had to post any updates for ages, but had a good look round today and something really struck me how much potential Church Street has to be the heart of creating a Blackpool version of a West End / Covent Garden feel (don't think I've gone bonkers, but Blackpool has the potential to be anything it wants):

We have some great capital buildings on there, The Regent, The Winter Gardens (feeding in to the conference centre), Topping Street feeding to Funny Girls), The Grand, Bonny Street feeding to The Comedy Club and the Tower and Viva.

Now in recent times 3 separate art galleries have opened as well.

My thoughts would be to put lot more of those banners on the street lights / or bright coloured markers on the street lights, along with an organised busker programme along there that is all designed to provide Music, Art and entertainment along the entire stretch and brand it with a really positive name. I would also plant some trees in St Johns Square and make it more inviting.

I took some pictures to link up what I mean:

The Regent and the Brew Room (a fantastic pub and Blackpool's only brewery):

from the same space looking on my right hand side the new Conference Centre:

St Johns Square and the Winter Gardens:

Further down, The Grand Theatre:

One of the 3 art galleries on Church street:

The view behind me (with the Comedy Club and the Tower):

and then down to Viva:

If we were to brand it and try and link it all up together, what sort of name should we call it, I hate terms like "cultural quarter" we want something much more natural for it's branding :)

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
In terms of a general construction update:

I've been really impressed with the Sands Hotel development, it's changing the whole nature of this area of Blackpool for the better:

The other area that is rapidly improving is St Johns Squares with work starting on the restoration of the old Clifton Hotel

opening the tram line here in 2021 will transform the Square. Work is really progressing well on the new hotel and it will again bring alot to the Square. I've always hated Wilko's mainly because it was the replacement for a fine old station but also it looks dreadful and drags Blackpool down:

Now Blackpool North and this site will unlock so much for Blackpool. Firstly work is underway over Christmas on the stations new canopies:

and some pictures of the old wilko site before it is demolished in April ready for the station tram extension and Hotel to be built:

The underpass here will be widened:

Other positive developments are the Council's purchase of the Houndshill Centre which will secure it's continued development and expansion.

I sadly didn't get the pictures today but I love some of the regeneration work on the quality corridor project especially with the work on the shop fronts: https://www.wave965.com/news/local/blackpool-shop-fronts-improvement-fund-showing-results/ Blackpool needs alot more of this.

Other things we definitely need is more tree planting through the town centre (not the £10K per tree the council went through on Cookson street, but something with far better value to it, giving us more urban trees for our money.

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Final update from me is on Blackpool's latest Park which is due to reopen in 2020 down at Anchorsholme on the Blackpool / Cleveleys border. This Park is so important for what Blackpool can offer as it's a big green space with two tram stops so it will give visitors and locals something quite special.

This was from earlier in the year, it's the ampthitheatre:

The play zone:

and the overhead shot of the entire Park:

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Blackpool, once again has been ranked one of the most deprived towns in the U.K. My comments on another thread. Anybody who knows the area, I'm sure will agree:
It's a classic example of poor housing generating poor results. Where Blackpool has good housing (largely outside the central area the stats are so different.

The key now is to keep investing in housing and either flatten it or rebuild it along with more green spaces in our centre so that we see more and more people aspiring to live in the centre of Blackpool and not escape it and along the way improve those damning stats.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A 250year lease has been signed between Blackpool Council and the developers of the Old central station site.

This will be the site of the 'Chariot of the Gods' themed flying theatre attraction and car parks and hotels etc to be developed over x years.

They still have to relocate the magistrate courts.

Plans to be submitted later this year, although I thought plans were going to be submitted at the end of 2019 when the attraction was unveiled last year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the lockdown and everything, I've taken to doing daily exercise, snapped these few pics on my runs.

The new Sands Hotel

The new hotel on the site of the old Yates'

A bonus rare picture of a closed Coral Island and deserted streets

361 - 375 of 375 Posts