SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RAW Design has put forth a proposal for the Signature Tower at Cityplace. Apparently there is a design competition being held for the tower, and this design lost. So this won't be built, but hopefully it's a sign of good things to come.

Originally posted by Travis on Urban Toronto.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Who is judging this competition? I hope that the design that lost out was rejected due to its lack of a truly "signature" look and not because Concord thought it would cost too much money or something.

·
Banned
71 Posts
That's a fierce-ass design, which also looks like an extravagant version of e condos.

·
38,844 Posts
This is just the proposal from one firm; they're still waiting on other firms to submit their designs.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I made this thread to make people aware of the design competition. Like I said in the initial post, this proposal has been rejected. I'm curious to find out more about the competition.

·
urbanite
1,896 Posts
the renders of those towers look great, if they were to look like that in real life i would be extremely happy having these buildings in the city.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Again, we have mainly rectangular towers that use balconies to give them their shape. (like Five, Market Wharf and One Bloor) It's OK but nothing really special. I don't like the retail portion. It's underwhelming and not very distinctive. Spadina needs double height retail on the first floor and just something more substantial. The northern portion seems to have no retail at all. I seriously hope the winner of this design contest is much more dramatic and unique. (with serious retail) It needs to treat Spadina like the major retail street that it is.

·
Large Member
1,128 Posts
I wonder what they are using as their criteria for awarding the winner. I do like this, but agree with the comment that they are just using the balconies, whereas they should doing more with actual structure. Again, as long as its not glass boxes.

·
misanthropic humanitarian
686 Posts
What does it matter if it's the balconies that are giving it its form? As long as it looks good, and this looks good. Hope the winning design is even better.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Concord swung and missed with CityPlace -- this is their chance at redemption! I for one am willing to forget the blocks of monotonous glass towers if this project is a hit.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Again, we have mainly rectangular towers that use balconies to give them their shape. (like Five, Market Wharf and One Bloor) It's OK but nothing really special.
It's so funny you're repeating your hero Dleung over on SSC. Balconies are part of the structure. They're poured concrete and as structurally sound as the rest of the floor plate. In this case they actually are part of the entire floor plate. If they put a skin on the building and closed in all the balconies would they be a cheat then? These aren't office towers, people want outdoor space even if they never use it.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
I can't even imagine living in an apartment building without a balcony! I couldn't stand being cooped up in a hermetically sealed tower. If they can make the balconies contribute to an appealing visual, then what's the complaint? Isn't the intent of a design to plan things out to be both functional and visually appealing? I think the design of this particular tower goes well beyond simply relying on balconies.

·
38,844 Posts
I do find about 70% of the balconies here completely impractical. They're either so small that they're good for nothing more than storage, or they're so high and wind swept that they're not fun to be on. You need a balcony at least 5 feet deep to be functional as an living outdoor space.

The worst balcony I've ever been on: 30th floor of Vaseline Towers. It's absolutely terrifying.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
? From the renderings they don't look all that small. Natch balconies high up will experience more wind than lower down, but I don't see that as a reason to hermetically seal the building. Even if I were on the 80th floor I would still like some fresh air and a chance to stand and look over the city. Kind of nice to sit and enjoy your morning coffee and hear the buzz of the city below. It is even pleasant walking around the outdoor observation deck of the CN Tower, and that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy taller than this proposal.

In the past we've heard arguments here that balconies look "icky", and that towers would be much better without them. To me that is like saying we should build without windows because we are sick of seeing "glass". In my books balconies are part of good planning for humane living, and if their design can add to the aesthetics then so much the better. To me, this design is more than just balconies and I like the overall sculptural effect.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Chicago and NYC constantly build condos without balconies. Isaidso is correct, for the most part balconies are to small to be of any use. I have friends that live in West Lofts that can't even get their patio chairs out the sliding door. They have a stool and not much else. Personally I would never use my balcony and would much prefer Juliet doors instead, to me they are a waste of space that could be used as interior sq footage.This is only my opinion though.

·
insertoronto
4,035 Posts
while i could certainly live without a balcony, as long is there is a fairly large terrace shared by the entire condo. I would certainly prefer to have a Juliet balcony though. even a large openable window would due, but a Juliet balcony would be fine.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
Good God :eek: I can't imagine anyone not wanting a balcony, even if it is small. I realize there won't be room for a jacuzzi and lawn furniture, but even a small balcony is better than none. But in my books a residential building with no balconies whatsoever sucks the big one.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
If Concord is holding a design competition to design their biggest tower in Cityplace, why are they keeping it a secret? Why not make a big deal of it and get all the free publicity, like Absolute did? It makes no sense at all. They should put all the proposals before the public and give us a chance to vote or at least weigh-in with our opinions. I want to see all of the designs and hear why they chose what they chose.

Their last tower should be their biggest and best development. It should make a visual statement and be the heart of the whole community.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts