Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back in Melbourne again and manged to get a nice day to visit the Eureka Skydeck again. WOW! Is all I can say! (the blonde in the reflection photo is me) (ah ahem bottle blonde)... I have fallen in love with Melbourne all over again. *yay*

*yay*

js

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Wonderful images of Melbourne. Definatley the most progressive city in country. No other city has developed this much and we have so much more space to develop. You can see its becoming more and more international as each year goes by and the buzz is just getting stronger and stronger. Melbourne is going to be the future city of the country.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonderful images of Melbourne. Definatley the most progressive city in country. No other city has developed this much and we have so much more space to develop. You can see its becoming more and more international as each year goes by and the buzz is just getting stronger and stronger. Melbourne is going to be the future city of the country.
As much as I love my home town (Sydney) - Melbourne has a vibe that Sydney doesn't. Things are happening in Melbourne where in Sydney things are a bit stagnant. Not to say that Sydney isn't *happening* - it's a different feel down here (in Melb) - and it's a nice feel.

js

·
Registered Abuser
2,908 Posts
Ah to be but Gods and gaze down upon man and his existence. To contemplate the universe and sing to the stars. This is the dream of the Eureka skydeck.

·
Proud Victorian!
7,872 Posts
As much as I love my home town (Sydney) - Melbourne has a vibe that Sydney doesn't. Things are happening in Melbourne where in Sydney things are a bit stagnant. Not to say that Sydney isn't *happening* - it's a different feel down here (in Melb) - and it's a nice feel.

js
I rekon Melb is way ahead of Sydney in regards to city development and construction, yet Sydney is shitting on Melbourne when it comes to public transport! You guys get new subway lines/stations, road tunnels, bridges etc all the time!! It takes us years to build a lousy 1km tunnel! Lol! But seriously, I think and hope Melb will be on a par with Sydney in future years.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Um Brisbane? Stronger % population growth + stronger economic growth
Perth? Stronger economic growth and stronger population growth
Sydney? Stronger economic growth yet slower population growth

All of our cities are growing and progressive
I would have to say that Brisbane has developed 10x as fast as Melbourne in the past few years.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts

I would have to say that Brisbane has developed 10x as fast as Melbourne in the past few years.
:lol: I was waiting for you to say something, typical.

I agree with you that other cities are growing quite well, which is great for Oz, but none of those cities have seen anything grow the way Melbourne has in terms of scale, types of developments, and our over all image. Take a snap of Melbourne 10 years ago and we look very different. We are the fastest growing city IN NUMBERS not percentage so that does make a difference. Melbourne has the potential and space to expand in ways that other CBD's cannot. Get over it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

But Zach - which city in Australia has so much cultural and architectual growth? I would say Melbourne 10 out of 10.

Sydney is eye candy for sure and our world city of Australia - however Melbourne outshines Sydney in the architectual, cultural and artistic stakes it's not funny.

js

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
:lol: I was waiting for you to say something, typical.

I agree with you that other cities are growing quite well, which is great for Oz, but none of those cities have seen anything grow the way Melbourne has in terms of scale, types of developments, and our over all image. Take a snap of Melbourne 10 years ago and we look very different. We are the fastest growing city IN NUMBERS not percentage so that does make a difference. Melbourne has the potential and space to expand in ways that other CBD's cannot. Get over it.
Anyone (Adelaide, Perth, Sydney or Melbourne) who believes that their city has changed more than Brisbane are dreaming big time.
Mic get over it.
At least I can critically analyse other cities and put up an argument that the city I live in is not the best.
You would rather die than suggest that another city has the edge over Melbourne. Sad really.

Australian cities have changed big time - Melbourne is not the only one!

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Do I have a problem...???? A long time ago in my laptop PC..I started to save pics...one then two..then ???? lots.I tried to get out of it by saying I would only save exceptional ones..then it started all over again!!!..and my pc is about to ...Explode!!!!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Anyone (Adelaide, Perth, Sydney or Melbourne) who believes that their city has changed more than Brisbane are dreaming big time.
Mic get over it.
At least I can critically analyse other cities and put up an argument that the city I live in is not the best.
You would rather die than suggest that another city has the edge over Melbourne. Sad really.

Australian cities have changed big time - Melbourne is not the only one!
You clearly have a problem with accepting that Melbourne is on the change and I beleive that the "image" of Melbourne has changed the most compared to other cities. I never once said Melbourne was "the only progressive". You would rather die before suggesting Melbourne has an edge over other oz cities and would jump with joy at the thought of another recession. You clearly have a problem with Melbourne's changing form thats reflected throughout other threads such as Myer etc, or anything else positive for Victoria/Melbourne. The fact that you even responded first with my post shows you most definatley have an issue and can't accept it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
^^ ^^ ^^ 1000% correct! He cant stand that Melbourne is the fastest growing city in Australia by a mile and to compare a city of less than 2 million like Brisbane to Melbourne is just plain silly.
Suggest he look at the latest home building approvals to see which capital is surging ahead and it aint Sydney thats dropped 12%.

Housing crisis will get worse: analysts
Large font Jessica Irvine
July 4, 2007

SYDNEY'S housing squeeze looks set to worsen after a sharp drop in building approvals, reducing supply in an already tight market.

Building approvals in NSW plummeted 12 per cent to 2327 in May, the lowest level for six years and the biggest fall nationwide.

Analysts predict the dwindling number of homes being built means prices and rents are likely to rise further.

ANZ's head of financial system analysis, Paul Braddick, said Australia was in the midst of a "burgeoning housing crisis", with 137,000 building approvals a year inadequate to keep pace with demand for 168,000 new dwellings a year.

"With new supply likely to fall even further below underlying demand in the year ahead, conditions are likely to reach crisis point both in terms of rental vacancy and housing affordability," he said.

The mortgage squeeze is also hitting hip pockets, with NSW shoppers cutting their spending by $18.1 million, or 0.3 per cent, in May, according to figures released yesterday.

In another sign of the financial pressure facing homeowners, internal Treasury documents show that the number of writs for repossession of NSW properties rose to 3644 last year, double the number in 2005 and almost triple the level in 2004.

The share of NSW households with a mortgage who were issued a writ by the NSW Sheriffs Office grew from 0.1 per cent in 2004 to 0.25 per cent in 2006, according to the documents obtained by Channel 7 under freedom of information laws.

Figures from the NSW Supreme Court had already shown a large number of applications for repossession, but the new figures confirm that about two thirds of court cases end up in repossession orders. Treasury said not all repossession orders resulted in eviction.

The documents contradict repeated claims by the Prime Minister, John Howard, that the chief reason for higher home prices is the slow release of land by the state and territory governments.

"Whilst better land release and land use policies by the states and territories are likely to improve affordability to some extent, these reports probably overstate this effect," a briefing sent to the federal Treasurer's office in February said.

Treasury said that high property prices in capital cities were primarily due to the growing demand for a fixed supply of land in sought-after inner-city and waterside areas.

"The growth in house prices … can largely be considered demand-driven, attributable to the strong growth in household incomes, low interest rates of recent years and expanded access to housing credit generated by innovative financial products," the Treasury documents say.

An economist at ABN Amro, Kieran Davies, said that rents were acting as a "safety valve" in Sydney, but prices for home purchase would also pick up soon.

"NSW is where pent up demand should be building, the vacancy rates here are low and we have been building too few homes for quite a while," he said.

An economist at TD Securities, Joshua Williamson, said the Reserve Bank - which is expected to leave interest rates on hold this morning - would be concerned about the pick up in prices. "The push-back in housing supply is a potential worry for the Reserve because it could force rental yields and house prices higher, adding to domestically driven inflation pressures," he said.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Pics are OK, except for that one with the bleached, aged queen in it. Why did you take of pic of THAT? :weird: No wonder his hair has mostly fallen out - it's been bleached to within an inch of its life!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts