Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 423 Posts

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BlossomStreet
Tower Hamlets

British Land is looking to submit a planning application for the redevelopment of a prime two acre site in Shoreditch, east London this Autumn.

A team of four architects is working up designs for the Blossom Street site on the edge of the Square Mile.

The developer confirmed the progress in its latest results which also revealed a near-term pipeline of work worth up to £1.2bn.

British land said: “We have a further 719,000 sq ft in our near-term pipeline which are projects we could commit to over the next year to eighteen months.”

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's an article from August of last year, I believe relating to the same bit of land http://www.britishland.com/media/news/2013/07-08-2013.aspx

British Land is pleased to confirm that it has entered into an agreement with The City of London Corporation for the redevelopment of The Shoreditch Estate, E1.

The estate comprises three sites covering 2 acres fronting onto Shoreditch High Street and Norton Folgate immediately to the north of Spitalfields and the core City of London market. The sites have potential for around 320,000 sq ft of office, retail and residential accommodation in a mix of new, retained and refurbished buildings.

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
I ponder if it would be possible to raft over the GEML cutting and open up the space for a linear park or more development? I know it is paving over the history of the area but the brickwork could still be maintained, just covered over. This stretch of line is almost universally served by electric trains, is it not?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Surely most of the buildings in this area are listed? I mean there are some very impressive Georgian town houses in the area as well as many beautiful warehouses. This is one of London's most historic places, surely even a greedy developer would understand the possibilities of converting these old houses into expensive flats and retail space? The gap sites could be redeveloped of course.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I ponder if it would be possible to raft over the GEML cutting and open up the space for a linear park or more development? I know it is paving over the history of the area but the brickwork could still be maintained, just covered over. This stretch of line is almost universally served by electric trains, is it not?
Development may be difficult but if they can do this to create a nice plaza then they can develop the remaining sites more intensely.

That was the idea in the Bishopsgate Goodsyard SPD which will be relevant on this site.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Living literally 2minutes away from this site - there are granted a few streets of lovely georgian houses - but there is a lot of dross here too - buildings with very little architectual merit that are too small for their location. I've wondered for a while what is going to happen here - one building facing bishopsgates used to be the British Atomic Nuclear Group.

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
This site offers one of the most outstanding urban transitions in the capital (a bit like Digbeth and the Selfridges in Brum). I did a GameJam in Shoreditch a while back and we tubed into Liverpool Street from our hotel, the difference as you leave the Bishopsgate Tower winter garden is quite jarring.

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The site is in Tower Hamlets, the title of the thread says Hackney
Thanks Tim. I think it's just on the other side of the road to put it into Tower Hamlets. It doesn't get closer than that! Unfortunately, I can't change the title now it's been posted so will have to wait for a moderator to do it.

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
There is possibly a thread on here already as it already has planning for a very mundane office block and refurbishment of most of the older and listed buildings, although the ones fronting Bishopsgates were for the chop.
Looked very provincial rather than a gateway into the City of London.

Last I heard AHMM had been brought in by BL so its news that there are now 4 architects working on it. I would guess with the anti-anything mob nearby there will probably be public consultations from around the summer onward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lower your expectations everyone.
In any event, doing some back of the envelope calculations, expectations shouldn't be high.

Plot is 2 acres = 87,120 sq ft. Assume (generously!) 25% of the plot is open space then there will be 65250 sq ft for the total floor plate.

The development will produce 320,000 sq ft lettable space. Add 25% to that to reflect unlettable space (service core, reception etc) to give a total floor area of 400,000 sq ft.

Divide total floor area by size of the floor plate: (400,000/65250) = 6.13 floors needed to make up our calculated total area.

This is hardly an exact sum, but it does suggest that we're not looking at a tall tower or an ambitious scheme.

For comparison the Broadgate tower across the street has about 400,000 sq ft space on a smaller plot (much of which you couldn't build on because of the railway).

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
The last scheme for the site was around 10 floors for the building fronting Bishopsgate. Very doubtful you will get anything taller.

·
Ampersands & What
7,281 Posts
British Land will submit plans for a 1.1 million sq ft scheme in Shoreditch, east London this autumn.

In full year results published this morning, the developer said it has appointed four unnamed architects to work up the designs for the site on Blossom Street in Shoreditch (pictured).

The firm also plans to commit to its 145,200 sq ft nine-floor 4 Kingdom Street office development in Paddington this year and for work to begin on site by the end of the year.

British Land’s total capital commitment over the next 12 months could be as high as £1.2bn, with an anticipated profit of around £300m.

In the retail sector British Land has committed to 372,000 sq ft of shopping centre extensions, including schemes at Whiteley Shopping, Fort Kinnaird in Edinburgh and Broughton Park in Chester.

The developer said it “remains positive about the prospects for development returns in London” and has been “replenishing” its development pipeline.

But it will continue to limit development to no more than 15% of its investment portfolio and will limit exposure to the London residential market to remain below £500m.

British Land said a 2.7 million sq ft major development push it embarked on 2010 had come good, realising £608m in profit to date, more than double what it estimated at the time.

Chris Grigg, chief executive, said: “The business is in good shape and we’ve delivered a strong set of results.

“We have benefited from strengthening occupational and investment markets but the decisions and actions we have taken both this year and in previous years have been a significant contributor to our performance, driving around half our valuation uplift.

“These actions leave us well positioned going forward to take advantage of London’s continuing success and improving demand for the best retail space.”
http://www.building.co.uk/news/british-land-to-launch-shoreditch-plans-this-year/5068503.article

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The article in building.co.uk says 1.1 million sq ft. But reading British Land's own article from last year, it seems the proposal is for 320,000 sq ft (assuming it's related to the same land).

British Land is pleased to confirm that it has entered into an agreement with The City of London Corporation for the redevelopment of The Shoreditch Estate, E1.

The estate comprises three sites covering 2 acres fronting onto Shoreditch High Street and Norton Folgate immediately to the north of Spitalfields and the core City of London market. The sites have potential for around 320,000 sq ft of office, retail and residential accommodation in a mix of new, retained and refurbished buildings.
The 1.1 million sq ft figure appears to come from Land's recent press release http://www.britishland.com/media/news/2014/14-05-2014.aspx but I think refers to their total number of future proposals, so I think building.co.uk may have reported it incorrectly if I've understood it correctly. From British Land's press release:

Acquired 1.1 million sq ft development potential including Paddington Central and Blossom St, Shoreditch

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another article in cnplus seems to confirm that the land has potential for a 320,000 sq ft development and the 1.1m sq ft is British Land's total potential from purchases over the last year:

In the year, British Land added 1.1m sq ft of potential development to its pipeline, after it acquired 4 and 5 Kingsland Street at Paddington, and agreed an option to develop at Blossom Street, Shoreditch
It has appointed architects to develop the design of the Blossom Street site and expects to submit a planning application in autumn this year.

The site has potential for 320,000 sq ft of office, retail and residential accommodation in a mix of new, retained and refurbished buildings, close to the new Liverpool Street Crossrail station.

·
Urban Designer
1,159 Posts
Living literally 2minutes away from this site - there are granted a few streets of lovely georgian houses - but there is a lot of dross here too - buildings with very little architectual merit that are too small for their location. I've wondered for a while what is going to happen here - one building facing bishopsgates used to be the British Atomic Nuclear Group.
You migth see dross, but lots of people see some very handsome old warehouses, attractively scaled streets and lots of historic character and detail. Its definitely not doing a lot at the moment but could a fabulous place if development enhances the existing historic character.

1 - 20 of 423 Posts