Skyscraper City Forum banner

Should the weekend evening blue lagoon events be allowed to continue?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
23,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the city investing in to blue lagoon to turn the area into an eco focussed hub, the current friday and saturday evening activities that take place down there are far removed from this objective.

The question needs to be asked, should the city strictly enforce the bylaws and put an end to the manic weekend evening events which lead to massive destruction in the area or let them continue and have a half hearted green hub?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i would just love to be able to go down there on the weekend and take a walk along the paths without having to step in broken glass, ciggarette butts and used condoms. the area has so much potential to be a great family area.

·
Ratty
979 Posts
With the city investing in to blue lagoon to turn the area into an eco focussed hub, the current friday and saturday evening activities that take place down there are far removed from this objective.

The question needs to be asked, should the city strictly enforce the bylaws and put an end to the manic weekend evening events which lead to massive destruction in the area or let them continue and have a half hearted green hub?
wtf - a eco focused hub on a heavily polluted river ??????

·
23,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure you and PD are not the same person neither one of you ever say anything positive! Ever. Here's a bit of your advice to me, go read all the documentation about the umgeni river green system plans. Links are available in the green durban thread

·
Ratty
979 Posts
Are you sure you and PD are not the same person neither one of you ever say anything positive! Ever. Here's a bit of your advice to me, go read all the documentation about the umgeni river green system plans. Links are available in the green durban thread
hey i agree with this one - but just wondering how they will resolve the high leveles of ecoli. this is a big project and one that will have immense benifit to Durban.

the river is now very stable compared to the days before Inanda Dam.

rowing is traditionally a river sport. however this is currently confined to the harbour because of the unreliablity of the water level in the Umgeni. if rowers can be persuaded to use the river it will do wonders for the sport as the harbour is not ideal because the water is often too rough. and even on a calm day the wake from passing tugs makes training difficult.

·
Ratty
979 Posts
rowing is confined to the harbour?... seriously?

Could have fooled most of my friends who row on a regular basis... don't think they've ever been in the harbour.
are we talking the same activity here ? paddling is one thing, rowing ( sculling ) is another. must say that i have never seen anyone rowing / sculling on the river.....

·
Ratty
979 Posts
Ahhh true.. yes... actually thats paddling...

Nobody I know is pretentious enough to want to do "rowing"....
geez dont tell that to any of the rowers that you may see at the rowing club. the clap will knock you into next week........

pop down early in the morning and see if the mix of people you see rowing fits the 'pretentios' description. also it is an olympic sport so if the Umgeni is cleaned up this will be a big plus for Durban's 2020 bid......

·
Jungle
2,094 Posts
water whats the latest from the model boaters.....i was thinking of a xmas prezzie for my son and well if the pond is still being interfered with perhaps i`ll go for a model helicopter.....hopefully air space is free around the town.

·
Ratty
979 Posts
water whats the latest from the model boaters.....i was thinking of a xmas prezzie for my son and well if the pond is still being interfered with perhaps i`ll go for a model helicopter.....hopefully air space is free around the town.
hi PD - the pond has been well and truly fucked up - assholes ripped up the paving around the edge and then partly filled it in so it cant be used anymore for sailing model yachts. if they were going to do something properly i could understand - however just to fill bits in and then abondon it does not make sense. but that is someone else's fight. if the model boaters dont stand up for themselves they must accept the consequences.

·
Jungle
2,094 Posts
hi PD - the pond has been well and truly fucked up - assholes ripped up the paving around the edge and then partly filled it in so it cant be used anymore for sailing model yachts. if they were going to do something properly i could understand - however just to fill bits in and then abondon it does not make sense. but that is someone else's fight. if the model boaters dont stand up for themselves they must accept the consequences.
oh, thankyou for that info water-r......i`ll pop dowm from mounties soon and get some shots......was going to get him a mobie but well with things being before mee lord i suggested to young tony better we wait.....how will our youth see this lot in 5/ 10 yrs from now............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts