SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I saw on Ethiopian TV yesterday that the Roserie Dam inaugurated ,Any news from the Sudani news outlets guys?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw on Ethiopian TV yesterday that the Roserie Dam inaugurated ,Any news from the Sudani news outlets guys?
Yeah on the 1st of January, independence day, they broadcasted the inauguration. You can find the whole thing on youtube if you'd like.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dear Abnet
The Dam has been officially inaugurated in coherence with the 57th Independence Day Celebration of Sudan. The Somali president has also attended since he was checking the Somali Currency Printing in Khartoum along with other worldwide representatives.

For more information you can check Dam Implementation Unit (DIU)
www.diu.gov.sd

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
^^ Thank you guys :applause: It could be nice if someone post the youtube inauguration here.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thank you very much Northernsudani :cheers:Eventhou I don't understand Arabic I enjoyed the ceremony :eek:kay:
Here is the youtube

·
Registered
52,562 Posts
The price seems very low 400 millions $.

Only Sudan will benefit from this dam ?

·
Registered
123 Posts

hello Gadiri

The dam was not build from scratch it was just heightened by 10m.
It might seem small work but it turned the dam to the longest hydropower
dam in the world extending 25Km and trapping 7.4 billion m3 of water compared
to 3.4 billion m3 before the heightening . This work required the evacuation of
22000 families to newly build 12 cities having 22000 houses with all facilities
( water, electricity ,schools and clinics) .

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Yea like Taharqa explained before the dam existed but its just heightened by 10 meters. however, they increased the dams lenght from 13km to 25km making it the longest in the world. also a storage capacity of 7.4 billion m3. it used to produce 1,200 MW of electricity and now increased by 50% producing 1,800 MW. it will also raise electricity at Meroe dam by 25% to make Meroe produce an estimated 1,500 MW.

However the whole projects main reason wasn't for electricity but agriculture. It is a major step to make the country food self dependent in 3 years time. Sudan originally is a country for agriculture which is named the Arab world future food basket. 45% of arable land in Arab world is in Sudan. So the country would boost revenues significantly.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Nice! Any idea about Sudan's current power generation, and what is the expected figure when other dams are completed as well?
its kind of like disputed according to 2012 i heard an official saying 4,200 now that this dam has increased by 600 and merowe about 300 it should have hit over 5,000 by now but by 2017 it will hit 7,000 and 10,000 by 2020

41 - 54 of 54 Posts