·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Boat siege shuts part of city:bash:
Boat siege forces Brisbane CBD shutdown
Marissa Calligeros
October 25, 2010 - 1:05PM

A man has poured the contents of a jerry can onto a boat after threatening to blow up the vessel at a ferry terminal in Brisbane's CBD

The 54-year-old, who remains on a yacht moored at the Eagle Street Pier, is believed to be a former soldier from New Zealand. He contacted police from the site at about 5am today.

After several hours of negotiation with police, the man has been spotted playing guitar, and wielding a large knife while talking on a mobile phone.

However police have denied earlier reports that he had demanded they bring him a McMuffin.

Special Emergency Response Team officers and police divers arrived at the scene about 9am. A 100-metre exclusion zone has been set up on Eagle Street, between Holman and Thornton streets. Police earlier deployed a bomb detection robot.

A man has poured the contents of a jerry can onto a boat after threatening to blow up the vessel at a ferry terminal in Brisbane's CBD

The 54-year-old, who remains on a yacht moored at the Eagle Street Pier, is believed to be a former soldier from New Zealand. He contacted police from the site at about 5am today.

After several hours of negotiation with police, the man has been spotted playing guitar, and wielding a large knife while talking on a mobile phone.
Advertisement: Story continues below
A man who allegedly threatened to blow up his boat in Brisbane's CBD this morning. Click for more photos
Boat siege in Brisbane's CBD

Special Emergency Response Team officers and police divers arrived at the scene about 9am. A 100-metre exclusion zone has been set up on Eagle Street, between Holman and Thornton streets. Police earlier deployed a bomb detection robot.
Full-screen

"We hope to have a peaceful resolution soon. We apologise to people for any inconvenience," Inspector Shane Dall'Osto said.

The 54-year-old man is believed to live on the yacht, which he usually moors at the Brisbane Botanic Gardens.

A friend of his told reporters the action was out of character and likely related to a family issue.

"He is a lovely, lovely bloke," he said. "He wouldn't be seeking or anticipating attention on this scale."

However, he had an ominous warning for police, nearby businesses and commuters, saying they could be waiting a long time.

Eagle Street and Riverside piers have been cordoned off and a number of businesses have been closed.

All CityCat and CityFerry services to the precinct have been suspended. Motorists have been urged to avoid the area.

The Riverside walkway has also been closed with pedestrians being advised to seek alternatives routes.

This Idiot has ruined my entire day, hope its resolved soon, "Oh can i please have a Mcmuffin while I strangle the heart of brisbane and all of its CityCat services to Riverside Centre.

This dude has ruined my entire day, but at least I get to spend more time ranting here :p

·
Dance again
1,138 Posts
This is so ridiculous, can't they just storm the boat and arrest him?

If this was China or anywhere else, they'd have shot him.

·
Premium Member
9,529 Posts
The world is run by useless pussies these days. A few years they would stormed this boat at the beginning and all this would be over. There's very little chance of any sort of major explosion, almost zero, unless he's been secreting semtex on board for years.

At least they could have shot him with a tranquilliser whilst he was strumming away on the guitar (wonder what he was playing? Splitz Enz 6 Months on a leaky boat would be good if he's got a sense of humour).

·
Registered
262 Posts
is this still going ? so how many banks have his accomplices knocked over in the meantime ? if this guy is disrupting the city with threats ... then what he is doing is called "terrorism" ... may not be readily apparent (with racial profiling and all ) ...

·
Maglev Believer
2,259 Posts
Here I was, thinking that they were just waiting for it to be breakfast time at Maccas again, so they could finally give him his McMuffin.

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
OMG THE BOAT PEEPLE

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Nice way to end things. He stabbed himself before setting his boat on fire and jumping into the harbour. Apparently all this was down to a dispute with his ex wife. Perhaps she refused to buy him a McMuffin?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Nice way to end things. He stabbed himself before setting his boat on fire and jumping into the harbour. Apparently all this was down to a dispute with his ex wife. Perhaps she refused to buy him a McMuffin?
What harbour?

This happened in Brisbane.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Those people must be pretty dense.
Not really when you consider the Yarra in Melbourne is like Breakfast Creek, and the Torrens in Adelaide - well thats like Kedron Brook at Grange!

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Its a BIG river. There are a lot of people from interatate and oveseas who think its a harbour.
Hardly. Its a big river but you'd be brain damaged to think that its anything other than a....er river.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agree with Tic, It is Quite large but it aint no Lake Burley Griffin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts