SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Major announcement this morning from the Riverside Stadium.

Teesside is set to see minimum 3, 20 floor buildings rise close to the existing BOHO zone at Middlehaven. a £45 million pound initial investment and part of an overall £250 million scheme to make Middlesbrough/Teesside THE Digital City of the UK.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/...ew-skyscrapers-planned-middlesbrough-17060699

The plans include building the highest office and residential towers for 30 miles in an initial £45m phase to transform Teesside’s skyline.

Proposals also include a digital campus, a 750-seat indoor amphitheatre beneath a glass atrium and a 400-seat outdoor amphitheatre to host events such as lectures, cultural events and entertainment.

It will lead to 1,000 new jobs in the digital and creative industries, rising to 2,000 jobs in future phases, it is claimed.

Mr Preston unveiled the vision in front of 200 business leaders at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium.

They claimed it would be “the biggest single investment in Middlesbrough’s history”.

There is also a fly through video on the gazette website of the development.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Amazing development for my home town!.. nice to see so much investment!

But cmon stating it’s the early days of Manhattan, it’s a small 20 story buildings!

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Middlehaven does hold the key to Teesside's potential to compete on a national/international level. As the Mayor stated nowhere else in the country has such availability of land so close to the centre and transport hubs, added to the fact that it sits against a backdrop of the River Tees and Teesside's most iconic landmark, the Transporter Bridge.

It would be interesting to see what the overall £250 million masterplan is, that's if it exists.....

·
T-T-TEESSIDERS!
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But cmon stating it’s the early days of Manhattan, it’s a small 20 story buildings!
You are right...but its nice to have a bit of optimism and pie in the sky thinking after so many years of nothing, lets hope this is just the beginning and this, plus much more gets built.

Talking of the 20 floors though...they've announced 3 buildings of 20 storeys each (from what I understand) However these renders clearly show the main commercial highrise to be far bigger than the two residential blocks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
When Andy Preston was elected as Mayor I didn’t think he had visions as big as this ,I thought he would be scaling back of all big schemes ,one of the first things he said was he wasn’t building any more of the proposed offices at Centre Square and announced he was building more houses ,I thought that was going to be his focus houses and community based stuff on a small scale .
This blew me away ,I was totally gobsmacked ,it appears he is going the opposite way ,this scheme I think will be the transformation of Middlesbrough and Teesside and will generate a huge interest in the digital industry on Teesside .
Other bits of his announcement that haven’t been really mentioned are his proposals to also bring apartment living into central Middlesbrough by building lots of 6-7 storey apartments blocks ,and also news on the redevelopment of CNE and Church House to be announced soon .
Certainly exciting times ahead in the next couple of years on the construction front

·
Registered
84 Posts
My reference to Manhattan was comparing it to the "early" days of Manhattan. Meaning the ambition AND the geography, as this site sits in a loop of the Tees. Sorry for getting excited.

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
I've been to Manhattan.

More similar than you might realise.

Both have crap public transport for a start. That really needs sorting out, jeez, more and more cut services announced today.

What happened to the monorail they proposed several years ago, I can certainly get behind that if the Mayor offers up a catchy tune...

It's fantastic to see, it really is.

More highrises certainly make the town feel more like a city, which is nice...

So suped.

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
I'm convinced Ray Mallon proposed a monorail in a meeting once...

It was to go down Acklam Road above the pavement.

I swear this wasn't a dream, a friend of mine who lived in Acklam answered the door and a guy in a suit was there asking her about a monorail but in retrospect, he could have just been a crazy person...

My mum definitely attended a meeting about it but I can't find any evidence of it. Is this one of those Mandela effect thingies? I swear this happened.

:nuts:

A tram network would be my option because Stagecoach and Arriva are really taking the **** lately.

In all seriousness, projects like this aren't going to work until the public transportation network get's a city scale upgrade from what we have now... which is best compared to that of a rustic, run-down, remote Estonian village.

Also, how the hell am I gonna fit a 20 floor skyscraper into one shot? I'll have to go so far back I'll be in the River Tees...

Zetland, anyone?

Going through the list of building projects yesterday that are currently planned leaves you feeling a bit breathless. But you'll be able to see these skyscrapers from miles and miles around, literally putting Boho on the map like a marker for all to see.

Also, is this, on our 10th anniversary on a forum with 'skyscraper' in its name, our first actual skyscraper?

:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
They proposed a monorail!?

Also, great to see some new people here on the Teesside forum!

Been going past Middlehaven on the train to work for the past 12 years and whilst it's great the progress that has been made, there is still so much to acheive and these new towers will look great, certainly for the skyline.

Been reading this forum for a number of years, about time I signed up!

·
MC 2011
1,533 Posts
The plans were dreamt up by Logic architecture. Their website has a detailed vision of the Boho Digital City and it seems to chime with what we already know. We know the Boho Digital Village is in the planning stage, as are Boho 8, 10 and 13, so we can assume 9 is as well. It also details the locations of Boho's 14 to 17. One can assume 11-12 might be the next announced.

There also seems like tantalising glimpses of what's to come, including an intriguing building next to The Stages, a hotel alongside the Old Town Hall, Boho's 13 and 14 labelled as 'future film studio', two towers labelled the 'Cactus Towers' (could be the other two skyscrapers as one is 10 floors, the other two 20), and that Boho 10 is dubbed 'Tetris'. Boho 12 also looks like it could be interesting.

We always assumed this was just a vision but as the months tick by, more and more of it is coming to fruition...

https://logicarchitecture.com/projects-item/boho-digital-city-masterplan-middlesbrough/

They also carry a vision of Boho 8, which is a canny little building:

https://logicarchitecture.com/projects-item/boho-8-modular-move-on-office-space/

None of it is guaranteed, but a fair bit has come true. I've photographed all four new build Boho's to date and the conversion of Boho 4. 17 of 'em?

It's gonna kill me...

·
Registered
740 Posts
I can’t wait to see the designs of Boho 10 when the actual planning application goes in.
Looking at the concept plans by Logic of the whole area it’s exciting especially for me as the St Hilda’s area was the Middlesbrough I know and grew up in back in the 60s and 70s,living ,away from the area and travelling up weekends and holidays to stay with family in the old blocks of flats that were there at that time,right where all these proposed buildings are going to go up on top of where my family lived,makes me quite emotional :🙂

1 - 20 of 113 Posts