·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boise now third largest city in Pacific Northwest
05:04 PM MDT on Monday, April 25, 2005

Ysabel Bilbao
Idaho's NewsChannel 7

BOISE -- Whether you like it or not, the Treasure Valley is growing quickly. So fast in fact, new reports for 2005 say Boise is now one of the three largest cities in the Northwest.

According to new population estimates, Boise is the third largest city in the Northwest. Not everyone is happy about the news.

"I am not happy about that, I don't want this city to become a big city, I don't want it to become like Portland, I think it's going to happen because it’s such a great place," said Kathy Winslow, 30-year Idaho resident.

We report often on growth, but today's news marks a milestone.

New population numbers show that Boise has edged out Spokane and Tacoma to become the third largest city in all of the Northwest.

The report comes from the Community Planning Association of Southwest Idaho, also known as COMPASS.

The figures show significant growth in Idaho over the last five years.

Boise’s population now stands at a little more than 208,200.

That’s a few thousand more people than live in Spokane and Tacoma, and puts Boise population in third place, trailing only Seattle and Portland.

Many Idahoan’s have mix opinions about the growth. Some say they’re excited to see more events in the city, but not necessarily the people.

"The streets are crowed now and there is a lot going on, and it's great culturally, but other ways I don't think it's great," Winslow said.

"I think growth is a hard thing, and certainly change can be difficult, but we have a great city and it doesn't surprise me that people want to move to this city," said Kristi Jones, lived in Idaho 32 years.

Video Clip
Watch Ysabel Bilbao’s report
The increase in population isn't just happening in the city of trees. Thousand of more people are moving into surrounding cities.

Meridian had largest growth amount of residential growth in the last five years, surging in new residents by 17.6 percent.

New houses and business continue to pop up in Meridian, which is now home to more than 56,000 people.

Nampa is the second largest city in the state with more than 72,000 residents. It too have experienced a growth boom in recent years.

Experts don’t expect Idaho’s growth rate to slow down soon. Reports predict Idaho will continue to be one of the fastest growing states, with a projected 52 percent increase in population over the next 30 years.

Here’s a closer look at Boise’s growth over the past 25-years:

In 1980, Boise’s population was just over 102,000 people.

By the next decade, the city had grown more than 20,000 people to nearly 126,000 in the 1990 census.

Boise grew tremendously in the 1990s, adding 60,000 residents, boosting the capital city's population to more than 185,000 in 2000.

During the past five years, the city has grown by more than 20,000 people, putting the current population above 208,000 people.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thats not true.

Its a distant fourth in the Pacific North West of the USA after Seattle, Portland, Spokane. If you include the Canadian portion of the Pacific North West its 6th; the order is Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Spokane, Victoria and then Boise.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crazyjoeda said:
Thats not true.

Its a distant fourth in the Pacific North West of the USA after Seattle, Portland, Spokane. If you include the Canadian portion of the Pacific North West its 6th; the order is Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Spokane, Victoria and then Boise.

Hmmmm, apparently you didn't read the article. :dunno:

·
Registered
153 Posts
crazyjoeda said:
Thats not true.

Oh, goodness no, it couldnt possible be true [sarcasm/]

It has only been in all NW newspapers the last few days.....get a life....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Emporis still says Spokane has a 196,264 population in the city, and Boise has 190,117 people according to them.

If I remember correctly, Spokane was not growing much because everyone in the area wants to live in Couer D'Alene nearby in Idaho. If Boise does have 208,000 now it most likely has surpassed Spokane.

·
6,428 Posts
Is it true that though Boise may be so large now, that much of the growth is on it's fringes, unlike Spokan and Tacoma that are both more established? It's really not that great to see that Boise has grown outward, but it's downtown still remains so small.

·
Registered
973 Posts
smartlake said:
Oh, goodness no, it couldnt possible be true [sarcasm/]

It has only been in all NW newspapers the last few days.....get a life....
The media makes mistakes all the time. And by the way I have a way more of a life then you possibly could.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lmichigan said:
Is it true that though Boise may be so large now, that much of the growth is on it's fringes, unlike Spokan and Tacoma that are both more established? It's really not that great to see that Boise has grown outward, but it's downtown still remains so small.
I know. I wish they would do something larger scale with downtown. Although, I must say it has gotten better in the last few years. They do need to push for taller buildings though. Lets get some residential down there!! All the residential projects are small.

·
Registered
153 Posts
crazyjoeda said:
The media makes mistakes all the time. And by the way I have a way more of a life then you possibly could.
OH, I'm sure. With talking to hot babes online, to ordering your groceries online, and let's not forget going to school online. So, how many REAL friends, ones that you've actually met, do you have?

ANYWAYS, about Boise. THere is a lot of growth outward, but like everyone here has said, there aren't too many tall buildings. I was just there, and it was really pleasant. But the downtown seems kinda small. Even though Spokanes downtown isn't much bigger, it seems to have more history and culture, even though the Boise area is more ethnically diverse (or so it seemed).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like my spam that way too!! :banana: An egg (over-easy) should also be on top of the rice. Mmm, yummy!!!!! :spam1: :wave:

Cheers!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts