Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Illuminati Leader
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bologna "la dotta", Bologna "la grassa", Bologna "la rossa": gastronomic capital of Italy (and, by extension, arguably the world). Home to the world's oldest university (from 1088), it is the richest and most educated city in Italy and, indeed, the one with the highest quality of life. But behind those lengthy exploits is an intoxicating place that I'm delighted to call my new home! I've been on hiatus from SSC for a while now that I'm starting grad school but I just wanted to share some pics from this seldom celebrated medieval city.

I will only post pictures I've personally taken but everyone is more than welcome to add further pics.

1) La Grassa: The labyrinthine core of Bologna's historic center is full of amazing cheese shops, osterias and fish markets

2) Bolognesi love their cowboys. All throughout town are statues, posters, events commemorating old American movie stars, and particularly Western stars

3) La Rossa: Bologna is the soul of left-wing political thought in Italy, partially due to its massive university which has over 85,000 students. La Rossa refers not just to the city's distinctive red hue due to the rock used in construction but also refers to the city's affinity for the Communists, specially in the decades following WWII

4) Fighting against the man

5) The inside of the church of San Petronio, the largest church in Bologna and one financed wholly by the city's residents. It was once supposed to rival even the mighty Saint Peter's in Rome.

More to come!

·
Illuminati Leader
6,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
6) The typical pastel pinks, oranges and browns of Bologna's core

7) The main tower in Bologna, the Asinelli Tower, looms large over the city

8) Bologna's Piazza de Neptuno still harkens back to the ancient times of cobblestone roads, nuns and castle walls

9) The Piazza de Neptuno is beyond stunning

10) It looks like fall is near at Bologna's Piazza VIII de Agosto

·
Registered
384 Posts
Great shots Manitopiaaa, i love the colors. I hope you're enjoying your time here though according to your location i assume you've already moved (?)

Anyway i follow your advice and post these 2 pics i took in September (around the same period you took yours :cheers: )

Via Indipendenza

Sunset over Viale Masini

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.