Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the new developments across Durbs keep on rolling in. Finally these heritage buildings at the Point are getting life breathed into them.

Architect: Emmett Emmett
On sale through PWR

"Browns Square" should offer around 40 apartments and 600 to 800 square meters of ground floor retail property, which will open onto an outdoor piazza area.

The Browns Square apartments will offer panoramic harbour, city and Berea views and we should be in a position to launch this exciting new development, to our "Priority Clients", within the next 6 weeks or so.

See attached site plan showing the location of site 3,5, for the Browns Square development and two attached artist renderings of the proposed new commercial component of this new development.

These two buildings are historical buildings, both registered with AFAFA and the one on the left, which is the oldest building in the Point Waterfront, was constructed in 1878.

A six storey tower, to be constructed diagonally between these two commercial buildings shown in the renderings below, will be positioned at the rear of the piazza and will offer views over the square, to the harbour and the city beyond.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Ooh, I like this VERY much! Looks great and will really add character to the area. I'm glad the developers have created an open square here. We don't want every square meter filled with buildings. And yes, I did miss this one. Was too busy posting stuff for nearby Rivertown! :)

·
Explore
2,868 Posts
Very nice indeed :cheers:. I hope we'll be seeing more developments like this that create a street vibe.

Reactions: Dynamoe

·
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i agree. public space areas for open air cafes in tourist spots like this are so important. and i like that the conservation buildings are staying put.

·
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tyson properties are now running with this one.

According to their website: Construction of 2500 sqm of A Grade offices which will be up for rental during the second half of 2015.
Retail component of 1000 sqm is also available for rental.
The site is located close to public transport and is close to amenities such as the beach, Ushaka Marine World and the new proposed cruise terminal.
The area is secure with cctv cameras and patrolled 24 hours a day.

Renders

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Good to see movement here. I did see a "sold' sign over a month ago on this site (not sure how old it is), so its hopefully a sign that this project is beyond proposed / conceptual. The two buildings in the render are existing relatively small building shells that need extensive refurbishments (and partial reconstruction), but not construction from scratch. I thus see the declared timeline of 2nd half of 2015 as doable if the work starts in the next month or two. The additional office / retail to the area will be great. As I said earlier, I can see the coffee shop being really popular with the adjacent Waterfront (ex-Docklands) Hotel guests (overnight and conference), and with residents in the area (and future users / visitors of the Cruise Terminal).

·
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It will be in another building surely. I don't see 2500m2 of commercial space either in the render. They always stated an additional tower from the beginning

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Yum!!! Even better than the initial renders. Will be a great addition to the area.

These new apartments will have a direct view of the new passenger terminal building, and part of the harbour / Bluff.

·
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only the top two floors are apartments, the lower are offices. But I agree that this is a smashing addition. Even seems the Point Brewery will be in the one building.

How's the movement from up above

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
There's definitely movement on this one. Aside from earth-moving equipment on site (behind shade-cloth screening), I can report that the old shed fronting onto Brown's Road, is under major renovation. The roof is now on, a mezzanine level has been added, windows have been cut and installed, and a small section at the back has been added on. The shed behind the Waterfront Hotel is also under construction. I will post pics soon...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts