SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bring up a little epidemic that has been plauging the US urban issues forum more and more as I have spent more time on this forum, that has annoyed me and probably other users on this board...

...BOOSTERS...(insert scary music here)

But seriously, how come every thread has to be hijacked by one of these users? I am not going to name any names up in here, but this is getting downright ridiculous.

Exaggerations aside, most threads end up with "my city has this, and this, and that, it has 15 million and mine is growing faster than your city is". This is just showing insecurity, and that you believe that you have to show other users that your city is great. There is nothing wrong with that, but when you have to bring it up every damn time, even if it has nothing to do with the subject, this shows insecurity.

This mindless boosting has degenerated many good topics into bitch fights. And it gets very frustrating for users like me, who want to reply to the topic, but find many pages of arguing instead of more intelligent replys. I'm sure I'm not the only person who noticed this. This boosting is not as much of a problem on other forums on SSC, why here.

Bottom line: Boosting is SPAM, and if you have nothing better to do, get a life outside the Internet...if you are going to reply, please do it in a more civil matter.

That's my 0.02.. :2cents:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm a booster, I think. But I also say good things about other cities like Chicago, Philly, Boston(even though I HATE the Red Sox), San Francisco, and others. I also say good things about LA when it's not being compared to NYC or Chicago. I know I have done some of the things you listed. But I can't help it. I have to say something when something is said about my city.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
what am i gonna do??? i am a long-time yankees' fan and am moving to red sox country; providence. it's like osama bin laden going to a VFW picnic.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
do you expect New Yorkers not to boost? were damn proud of our city, throw out all the lists, all the stereotypes, all the rankings, all the bullshit. for once look at it without thinking of the arrogant nyer. it may not be right to do but hey, we are responsible for alot of shit, so let us bask in our glory.

NYC is a major major city around the world. there are more than just NYC. we kicked off that arrogance that everyone loves to hate, yet the majority does have for their own town.

an NYC without arrogance is just too fuckin boring, and admit it, on 9/11 you were all on our side and you loved it because you knew out of any city, we could fuckin handle it, just like that asshole friend of yours whos always good to have on your side even if he/she is a fuckin prick.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
mid-town said:
I'm a booster, I think. But I also say good things about other cities like Chicago, Philly, Boston(even though I HATE the Red Sox), San Francisco, and others. I also say good things about LA when it's not being compared to NYC or Chicago. I know I have done some of the things you listed. But I can't help it. I have to say something when something is said about my city.
:hahaha: You pretty much boost anything having to do with the Northeast comparing it with other parts of the country...but it's just a natural human characteristic we all possess...

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Spooky873 said:
do you expect New Yorkers not to boost? were damn proud of our city, throw out all the lists, all the stereotypes, all the rankings, all the bullshit. for once look at it without thinking of the arrogant nyer. it may not be right to do but hey, we are responsible for alot of shit, so let us bask in our glory.

NYC is a major major city around the world. there are more than just NYC. we kicked off that arrogance that everyone loves to hate, yet the majority does have for their own town.

an NYC without arrogance is just too fuckin boring, and admit it, on 9/11 you were all on our side and you loved it because you knew out of any city, we could fuckin handle it, just like that asshole friend of yours whos always good to have on your side even if he/she is a fuckin prick.
Spooky, you can boost NYC all you want. Personally I think it is a great city. Do I find it the ultimate city? No, not for me. Personally I find my home town of Chicago to be my idea of "the ultimate city": Chicago is huge and has every ammenity a big city should have, but its size is not so big that size affects function. To me, Chicago IS "the great American city"....but that's just an opinion and has no bearing on what others think. What I really hate about the b oard is the "pecking order" that suggests that one city is better than another.

·
Registered
385 Posts
jmancuso said:
what am i gonna do??? i am a long-time yankees' fan and am moving to red sox country; providence. it's like osama bin laden going to a VFW picnic.
Paint your house and car Yankees pinstripes with a HUGE Yankees logo on them. I love pissing off Red Sox fans just like they love doing it to us. I lived in Warwick, RI for about 1 month with New York license plates during summer vacation and I wore a Yankees hat everywhere and I put a Yankees sticker and flag on the car. We were getting tons of dirty looks. I loved it!!! One Red Sox fan told me to park that car on Yawkey Way and see what happens. There's a reason right there I hate the Sox so much. Their fans can be assholes. I've had my car parked on Yawkey Way before with Yankees stickers and flags all over it. When I came out it was in perfect condition.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
jmancuso said:
It may be Red Sox country, but I'll guarantee you that the runaway #2 team is the Yankees. Yankees fans are never out of place because they are everywhere. Providence I would assume has a higher concentration of Yankee fans than Concord, but when I lived there I knew several people at work who were Yankee fans. I think as New England sports goes, there's actually the most solidarity among Patriots fans; and it's been that way since before they were good. Maybe it's just because football tends to galvanize fans moreso than baseball, I dunno.

*****​
Back to topic, I don't mind boosters so much in and of the fact that they usually post meaningful input within the context of their city. It's the ones that come into threads of another city and start bashing everything in sight who are the problem. The real trolls. And then you have the ones that don't even "have" a home city and never post anything positive or meaningful. What makes them worse is they generally don't know how to spell or construct a proper sentence, either.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Minneapolis612 said:
I hate the yankees :horse:
More people have to be affected by the Yankees than any other team, at least between the US and Canada. Think about the sheer number of people for whom they're #1 - liked or hated. Probably more than the #1 fans of the 29 other teams combined...

One thing we can all agree on, however - Steinbrenner sucks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
YANKEES RULE!!!!!!!! But has anyone noticed how the Yankees get all these great players, then when they start to play for the Yankees, they suck. Randy Johnson's been sucking, Sheffield does ok, but not great, and A-Rod does good, but not good enough for his salary. It's starting to piss me off. Steinbrenner should just cut Randy Johnson, A-Rod, and Sheffield, and get 3 cheap players and he'll get the same results. The Red Sox get all these crappy players and they end up being awesome when they start playing for the Red Sox. I have a feeling David Ortiz is on steroids though. The fucking Twins didn't even want him because he sucked so bad and he couldn't hit a home run for shit. But then he gets to the Red Sox, and he hits 40 home runs a year. I bet he took steroids right after the Twins got rid of him so some team will take him because he got stronger or something.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
mid-town said:
YANKEES RULE!!!!!!!! But has anyone noticed how the Yankees get all these great players, then when they start to play for the Yankees, they suck. Randy Johnson's been sucking, Sheffield does ok, but not great, and A-Rod does good, but not good enough for his salary. It's starting to piss me off. Steinbrenner should just cut Randy Johnson, A-Rod, and Sheffield, and get 3 cheap players and he'll get the same results. The Red Sox get all these crappy players and they end up being awesome when they start playing for the Red Sox. I have a feeling David Ortiz is on steroids though. The fucking Twins didn't even want him because he sucked so bad and he couldn't hit a home run for shit. But then he gets to the Red Sox, and he hits 40 home runs a year. I bet he took steroids right after the Twins got rid of him so some team will take him because he got stronger or something.
You have no idea what it's like to be Cubs fan. Be grateful.

·
Premium Member
30,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not a fan of baseball...Football and Basketball is more my thing...

Living in Connecticut, the battleground of the Yankees-Red Sox Rivalry, the whole rivalry gets a little repetitive and annoying...plus, I'm more of a Mets fan, because of living in Queens and going to Shea Stadium many times when I was younger.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts