Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess you could say I've been a bit inspired by the earlier threads with the biggest cities in Sweden. This one contains aerial pics of my town Borlänge, but it won't be as exciting as the previous threads :)
All pics from Hitta.se

1. Overview, most of Borlänge can be seen. I made little squares showing which pic is taken where, in case anyone wonders. Population: 39,422 (2005)

2. Cradle #1 of the town - the steel factory SSAB. Got the town growing in late 19th century

3. Cradle #2 - the paper mill Kvarnsvedens pappersbruk. Located some km upstream of SSAB

4. Central part of Borlänge. Not very exciting.

5. Hagalund, the part of the "inner city" north of the railway. Home to 12 of the towns tallest buildings (ranging in height from 42 m to 27 m...)

6. The shopping mall Kupolen with surroundings. Our only highrise can be spotted in the lower right corner

7. Moving a bit northwest, to the Swedish Road Department (upper left) and the College of Dalarna (upper middle). As you can see, we like roundabouts here in town :)

8. The area of Bergslagsbyn was built during WWI as housing for the workers at the steel factory. Very cozy "garden town" with red wooden houses.

9. The area I live in, typical 70s small scale residential area (row houses and one-story houses)

10. Commies!

11. The railyard, one of the biggest in the country I've heard (a lot of cargo trains go to/from our industries)

12. The airport (well, more of an airfield).

13. The river Dalälven runs through Borlänge and has created a very nice environment at the river with steep hills and different leaf trees.

14. Kvarnsveden, a typical 50s area built to resemble the "ABC-suburbs" of Stockholm

15. Skräddarbacken, a residential area built in the woods of the mountain Tjärnaberget in the early 80s. It was built to house all the Stockholmers moving here when the Road- and Railway Departments moved here from the capital.

16. We end the tour at Stora Tuna Kyrka, the biggest church in the county. On the left is the valley of Frostbrunnsdalen which was the place for hednic rituals a long time ago (it had a tempel dedicated to the god Frey!)

Now you know my town a little better I hope ;) Thank you please come again!

·
囧!
10,897 Posts
Great to see these aerials of more cities, Atlantica! Thanks for sharing.
Too bad hitta.se doesn't have images of cities in the other Scandinavian countries - although it wouldn't really make any sense. :)

EDIT: Actually there is imagery of Copenhagen but not as zoomable as the Swedish cities.

·
8,592 Posts
Your town looks so well planned and organized, AtlanticaC5! I love these aerial images!!! :cool:

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just saw the numbers on the overview pic didn't come out good at all... oh well, I guess you can make out which one is which anyway ;) Thanks for the replies, seems like there actually are some connected to Borlänge in one way or another :D

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Borlange is looking very good, thanks for sharing! :yes:

With all these "city from above" threads i might get inspired and make a few threads from Norwegian cities as well, we will see! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts