Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks good!!!!!!!!!!! it looks like a design that for some reason they forgot to build in the 1970's and if it had been built, it would currently, be being demolished. Peabody need to employ some architects that have some vision and who are not putting forward designs that are forty years past there sell by date......

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
267 Posts
Speaking as someone who will have this a hundred yards from my home I find it profoundly depressing. It as about as inspired as a telephone book. Don't get me wrong - I do not object to the height and I do wish this site was at long last buit on. What I object to the poor standard of the architecture. It's just plain boring.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I think that row of buildings are staying actually. See http://www.boroughtriangle.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/12-Ground-Plan.pdf

I share the concerns about the cladding material though. A lot of Elephant has got that -Strata, One the Elephant, etc. Would much prefer the same design but with the white as painted concrete and the metallic colour as actual metal panels.
Agree the cladding on the tower looks disappointing Elephant and castle really should try to create a restricted palette of materials instead every development looking incoherently different, it's going to look a mess together. The only very tall building I see giving some gravitas to the area is Allies and Morrisons Eileen House scheme in the foreground in the blue outline. http://www.twofiftyonelondon.com/

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Agree the cladding on the tower looks disappointing Elephant and castle really should try to create a restricted palette of materials instead every development looking incoherently different, it's going to look a mess together. The only very tall building I see giving some gravitas to the area is Allies and Morrisons Eileen House scheme in the foreground in the blue outline. http://www.twofiftyonelondon.com/
oooh - I saw the ES property bit on about 251 Southwark Bridge Road and couldn't figure out which proposal it was.

the towers of this look alright to me, reckon that zig zag effect would be lovely assuming the cladding was really high quality in a way that the renders don't really promise, but that's not inconceivable. optimistic of course, but not impossible.

on the other hand I'm not too impressed with the low/mid-rise at all. subtract it being new and it seems pretty indistinguishable from the tired looked mediocrity all around that waterloo road / E&C sort of area that's been / being knocked down to make way for all this!

·
South East Nine
40,098 Posts
Plans have been submitted for approval:

Development Facts

Site: Borough Triangle, Newington Causeway, London SE1

Planning application: Southwark PA/14/03315

Developer: Peabody

Architect: Stephen Marshall Architects

Residential units: 529

Office space: 9,951m²

Nightclub: 4,072m²

Buildings

Building A: 8 storeys | 34.3m

Building F: 11 storeys | 38.6m

Building G1: 38 storeys | 120.3m

Building G2: 30 storeys | 95.1m

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Interestingly this was originally submitted back in September but they had to do a bit more work on the MoS building so it hasn't been validated until now so MoS do indeed intend to relocate to here. That would mean the MoS will sell on and/or work up tower plans for their site. Should make quite a packet out of it as i'm sure when they originally bought the site it would've cost peanuts.

So eventualy 2 propolas for the price of 1 for E&C.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With Borough Triangle at 120m and Two Fifty One at 134m, let's hope the Ministry site sees something ambitious.
While it would be nice for something taller, Two Fifty One if completed today would be the 21st tallest completed habitable building (so excluding BT tower and several TV towers) in London, and this would be 30th. (Source: Emporis) So they still will add some significant height to the area. Two Fifty One is almost double the height of the recently completed Signal Building (70m) across the road.

·
South East Nine
40,098 Posts
While it would be nice for something taller, Two Fifty One if completed today would be the 21st tallest completed habitable building (so excluding BT tower and several TV towers) in London, and this would be 30th. (Source: Emporis) So they still will add some significant height to the area. Two Fifty One is almost double the height of the recently completed Signal Building (70m) across the road.
With the Ministry site being plum between Borough Triangle and Two Fifty One, there's an opportunity to create a pinnacle if they choose to be ambitious.

If there's a lack of ambition, there's the risk of creating a wall of similar height developments.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.