Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bosnia and Herzegovina is a country on the Balkan peninsula of Southern Europe with an area of 51,280 square kilometers. Around 4.3 million people lived in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1991.

The region of Bosnia is the largest geographic region of the modern state with moderate continental climate, marked by hot summers and cold, snowy winters. Smaller Herzegovina is the southern tip of the country, with Mediterranean climate and topography. Bosnia and Herzegovina's natural resources are abundant.

Capital (and largest city) is Sarajevo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
SARAJEVO​

Sarajevo (Cyrillic: Сарајево;IPA: ['sarajɛʋɔ], is the capital city and largest urban center of Bosnia and Herzegovina, with an estimated population of 602,500 (as of December, 2006).

Sebilj is fountain built in the centre of Bascarsija square in the 1891 according to the architectural project of Alexander Wittek. It is one of the symbols of Sarajevo. There is an interesting legend behind the Sebilj fountain in Sarajevo. It is said that once you drink its waters, you can never leave Bosnia for too long.

Bascarsija is located in the old town part of Sarajevo, designed in the oriental style and loaded with souvenir shops and public fountains. It contains a bazaar that sells all kinds of metalwork, jewellery and pottery. Each street is dedicated to a different craft. It is built in the 16th century.

Churches, Mosques, a Synagogue... all in just one street. :)

Unofficial anthem of the city:

Sarajevo, Ljubavi moja <--- download

Zajedno smo rasli, grade ja i Ti,
isto plavo nebo poklonilo nam stih.
Ispod Trebevića sanjali smo sne,
Ko će brže rasti, ko će ljepši biti?

Ti si bio velik, a rodio se ja,
S Igmana uz osmijeh slao si mi san.
Dječak koji raste zavolio Te tad,
Ostao je ovdje vezan za svoj grad!

Bilo gdje da krenem o Tebi sanjam,
Putevi me svi Tebi vode.
Čekam s nekom čežnjom na svjetla Tvoja,
Sarajevo, ljubavi moja!

Pjesme svoje imaš i ja ih pjevam,
Želim da Ti kažem šta sanjam.
Radosti su moje i sreća Tvoja,
Sarajevo, ljubavi moja!

Kad prođu zime i dođe lijepi maj,
Djevojke su ljepše, ljubavi im daj.
Šetalište tamno uzdasima zri,
Neke oči plave, neke riječi nježne.

Sad je dječak čovjek i zima pokri brijeg,
Park i kosa bijeli, al' otići će snijeg.
Proljeće i mladost ispunit će tad,
Sarajevo moje, jedini moj grad!

Bilo gdje da krenem o Tebi sanjam,
Putevi me svi Tebi vode.
Čekam s nekom čežnjom na svjetla Tvoja,
Sarajevo, ljubavi moja!

English:

Sarajevo, love of mine

We grew up together city, you and me
the same blue sky gave us rhymes
under Trebevic we dreamt dreams
who will grow faster who will be nicer
You were great, and I was born
From Igman with a smile you sent me my dreams
A boy growing up fell in love with you then
He stayed here, connected to his city
Wherever I turn, I dream of you
All roads lead me to you
I wait with some longing for your lights
Sarajevo love of mine
You have your songs, and I sing them
I want to tell you what I dream
The pleasures are mine and happiness yours
Sarajevo love of mine
When the cold passes and fine May comes
The girls are nicer, give them love
Walk the walkways with sighs in the dark
Some blue eyes, some tender words
Now the boy is a man and the winter covers the mountain
The park and hair is grey, but the snow will go away
Spring and youth will then fill
my Sarajevo, my only city

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MOSTAR​

Mostar (Мостар) is a city and municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the center of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton of the Federation. The unofficial capital of Herzegovina. Mostar is situated on the Neretva river and is the fifth-largest city in the country. Mostar was named after its Old Bridge (Stari most).

Stari Most (English translation: "The Old Bridge") is a 16th century bridge in the city of Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina that crosses the river Neretva and connects two parts of the city. The bridge was destroyed by Herzegovinian Croat forces during the War in Bosnia-Herzegovina, on November 9, 1993 at 10.15 am. A project was set in motion to rebuild it, and the new bridge opened on July 23, 2004.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NATURE​

Mountain Bjelašnica is a popular tourist attraction for hiking and skiing. It is only 20 minutes outside of Sarajevo. During the 1984 Winter Olympics, Bjelašnica was used for a number of Olympic events, and has several structures dating from that time, including hotels and skiing areas.

http://www.bjelasnica.ba/

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BUNA SPRING​

One of the largest springs in Europe. With beautiful tekija (tekke).

Mostar from above. :)

·
21,422 Posts
Great pics of a wonderful country Gamayun, they remind me of the Turkish Black Sea Region.

loads of love to Bosnia.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sarajevo City Library

Avaz Business Center (largest newspapers in Bosnia)

Street of Marshal Tito (our Ataturk :))

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Cathedral of Jesus' Heart (Bosnian/Croatian: Katedrala Srca Isusova) in Sarajevo is the largest cathedral in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is commonly referred to as the "Sarajevo Cathedral". It is the seat of the Vrhbosanski Archbishop, currently Monsignor Vinko Puljić, and center of Catholic worship in the city. The Cathedral is located in the city's Old Town district.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Zohar. :) I'll post the photo of Sarajevo synagogue and famous Hagadah later.

Great pics of a wonderful country Gamayun, they remind me of the Turkish Black Sea Region.

loads of love to Bosnia.

Tesekkürler. I was in Turkey three times, but I never visited Black Sea Region. I promise I'll do it next time. And there is no need to say how strong friendship between Turkey and Bosnia is. :)

Btw. It's said that Sarajevo is little Bursa.

Stunning!
Thank you. I hope you will visit us one day. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ashkenazi Synagogue before:

and after:

The Sarajevo Haggadah

The original, from early 14th century Spain, is in the National Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo. The original of this text survived World War II only by being hidden by the Sarajevo Museum’s director from Nazi confiscation.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Gazi Husrev-Beg Mosque, often referred to as the Beg's Mosque for short, is a mosque in the city of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is considered the most important Islamic structure in the country and one of the world's finest examples of Ottoman Architecture.

Sahat-kula. The only tower-watch in the world that shows a la Turka time (day begins at sunset).

Note: our friend Sarajka took the pictures.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Enjoy Bosnia, enjoy life. :cheers:

http://www.bhtourism.ba/eng/​

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sarajka is a member who made pictures of Bey's mosque. I thought it was polite to thank her.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts