SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
PQS
3,585 Posts
Great stadium, nicest ballpark ive been to. Although this was the view I had one time I went :lol:

didnt bother me though we just moved to the standing room only areas!

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I think there were some proposals to increase Fenway Park's capacity to 45,000. the current capacity is 40,000 and with no additional space for expansion, does Fenway Park look sorta complete? And does the ballpark even have any luxury boxes?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It's pretty clear to see the entire tier of suites running down both sides of the field tucked under the pavilion, there aren't a ton, but I think they have enough to suffice, especially with the $250,000 price tag.

And if they wanted to they could get rid of whatever is on top of the suites in left, and the right field deck to extend the pavilion level down the lines to the foul posts, that would a atleast a couple thousand seats

·
Unregistered User
2,539 Posts
I think there were some proposals to increase Fenway Park's capacity to 45,000. the current capacity is 40,000 and with no additional space for expansion, does Fenway Park look sorta complete? And does the ballpark even have any luxury boxes?
i think the proposal you mentioned was from when they were considering building an entirely new park. To answer the completeness question, yes i think its complete- more than any other park. I love the old time parks how they have odd dimensions and have seats wherever you could pack them in.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Because of the street leayout, it would be very hard to build out any more around it.

They COULD do that, reconfigure everything and tear some things down, but it would diminish the historic aspect of it even more.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,110 Posts
Man, I've been in love with Fenway Park since watching that movie 'A Perfect Catch'.

I'd totally go on a date with Jimmy Fallon there :p

The place has such a social history. It was amazing when the Boston Redsox won a few years ago, after what seemed like a billion years of losing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I say this as a die-hard Yankee fan who hates the Red Sox with every bit of my soul - Fenway is the best park in all of baseball today. I use that "today" qualifier as I don't think anything will ever top pre-renovated Yankee Stadium, but Fenway is magnificently beautiful. I remember fearing that the Green Monster seats would really take away from the park, and while I do prefer Fenway without those seats, I don't think they're bad at all, and that they do blend in quite nicely.

It will be a terrible day if/when the Sox move out of Fenway. I hate the team that plays in it, I can't stand a lot of the fans that inhabit it (although there are plenty of awesome Sox fans - hell, one of my best friends is a die-hard Sox fan), I hope that place never sees another World Series game in its hopefully eternal existance... but I still love Fenway. It, along with Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium, is something every baseball fan must see at some point (although YS is getting knocked down at the end of this year - I think the new Stadium will be a must-see as well though). It's such a beautiful part of what, in my opinion, is the greatest sport ever invented.

(BTW, one of the things I most want to do before I die is see Yankees/Red Sox at Fenway. I've seen it at the Stadium, but I really want to make the trip up to Fenway with a bunch of fellow brave Yankee fans and see it up there. I can only imagine how intense the atmosphere is, especially in the heat of a pennant race.)

·
PQS
3,585 Posts
Its cool how they close that street (yawkey way?) on match days, theres always a great atmosphere in the bars around the stadium too.

I heard a while ago that landsdowne street was getting redeveloped and places like the Avalon and that pool / bowling place could be going so in theory they could add extra seats onto the green monster I guess

·
Registered
75 Posts
No chance they build New Fenway now. The new Sox ownership (well, they're not really new anymore, but they came after the New Fenway plans were released) has committed to staying at Fenway Park for the long term, and they're showing it by doing all of these renovations.

Also, they couldn't get a favorable land deal for the place where they wanted to build New Fenway, which was a major reason it's not happening (along with the outroar from Sox fans and baseball fans overall).

The difference between Fenway before Henry took over and after Henry took over is astounding though - he really has fixed up that ballpark and made the expansions it needed to remain competitive. I'm not happy about the increases in seating capacity, considering I want nothing but dismal failure for the Sox, but it was the right and necessary decision.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts