SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenmore Square is a neighborhood in Boston near the Charles River. The neighborhood is west of the Back Bay neighborhood and the Fens parkland.

Kenmore Square was originally called "Governor Square", after the plan to place the Governor's mansion in the neighborhood. Upscale rowhouses like those in Back Bay were built to help fulfill plans for an upper class district. Instead, Kenmore Square emerged as the city's automobile center, as development of the neighborhood occurred at the same time as the automobile became popular. As various sectors of the automobile industry moved farther west into the suburbs, Kenmore Square evolved into a commercial center.

In addition to being a commercial center, Kenmore Square is the home of Boston University. The university takes up much of the neighborhood and spills into adjacent neighborhoods. The campus is centered around its quadrangle along Commonwealth Avenue.


Looking at the back of Marsh Chapel, the centerpiece of the Boston University campus. The chapel was completed in 1948. Marsh Plaza, a public space in fron of the structure, is flanked by towers.



The Rafik B. Hariri Building, part of the Boston University School of Management. The structure was built in 1996. In the foreground are rowhouses along Bay State Road.



Looking towards Fenway Park, with Boston University buildings in the foreground.



The CITGO sign from Cambridge. The dome of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, known as the Mother Church of Scientology, is to the left of the sign. The dome was built in 1906 onto an 1894 edifice. Houses on Bay State Road are in the foreground. On the very right is the old Peters Brothers House, built in 1900 and now the Elie Wiesel Center for Judaic Studies.



Buildings on Commonwealth Avenue and Beacon Street. Office West Gate, a structure built in 1899, is on the left. The New England School of Photography, founded in 1968, is on the right.



The old Peerless Motor Car Company buildings, on Beacon Street. The structures were built in 1911, with the center building housing the showroom and the two surrounding buildings housing offices.



The CITGO sign, atop 660 Beacon Street. The sign was installed in 1965, and is 60 feet tall and 60 feet wide. It replaced a Cities Services sign, erected in 1940 over a gas station in the 1911 building, when Cities Services was renamed as CITGO.



Hotel Buckminster, at Brookline Avenue & Beacon Street. The hotel was built in 1897 and was one of the first hotels in Boston. It was here that the "Black Sox Scandal" of 1919 for White Sox players to throw the World Series was first plotted by Joseph Sullivan and his teammates.



The Boston Beer Works, on Brookline Avenue. The building was once the home of an office for the Goodyear Improvement Company and was built in 1899. On the left is the Jeano Building, built in 1914 originally named the John B. Smith Building and renamed for the owner's wife in 1960



Boston Beer Works opened in 1999.



A building dating back to 1920 at Brookline Avenue and Yawkey Way. The structure once was a Wurlitzer factory, where organs were built.



The Boston Red Sox Team Store, on Yawkey Way in an old 1920 warehouse.



The Team Store spills into another old warehouse.



Looking up Yawkey Way at Red Sox offices and buildings on the left, and Fenway Park on the right.



The Trilogy Triangle Building, on Boylston Street at Kilmamock Street. The structure is part of the Fenway Triangle Trilogy development and was built in 2006.



Businesses on Boylston Street.



The Baseball Tavern, on Boylston Street. Several bars line Boylston Street near Fenway Park and cater to game day crowds.



Buldings on Boylston Street.



An old 1920 building on Boylston Street.



Boston Arts Academy and Fenway High School, on Ipswich Street. Fenway High School moved in with Boston Arts Academy in 1998.



Looking over Yawkey Way towards the Fens neighborhood. The Fenway Trilogy Triangle project in in the center of the background. The Landmark Center, which was the Sears, Roebuck, and Company Mail Order Store and was built in 1930, is in the background on the right.



Looking at the Fens neighborhood from Fenway Park.



A sign in front of a parking lot on Brookline Avenue.



Fenway Park's facade, on Yawkey Way.



Fenway Park was originally built in 1912 in the new neighborhood.



The ballpark was largely reconstructed in 1934. Owner Tom Yawkey had begun revitalization in 1933, and a fire destroyed much of the building. Concrete was used as the primary construction material in 1934.



Other renovations and expansions came through the years. In 1946, an upper deck was built and seats were installed. Lights were added to the stadium in 1947, making the team the third-to-last in the majors to play night games at home.



Looking up Ipswich Street at the Gate B entrance to Fenway Park.



At the Gate B entrance is a statue titled "Teammates". The statue was dedicated in June 2010 and shows Bobby Doerr, Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky, and Ted Williams, who played together in the 1940s.



Looking up Ipswich Street from the "Teammates" statue towards the 1899 Our Ladys Guild House on Charlesgate West.



Looking down Van Ness Street at Fenway Park's exterior. The names of players that have been inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum as members of the Red Sox are on banners along the street.



The Ted Williams statue, along Van Ness Street near Gate B. The statue was dedicated in 2004 and commemorates Williams' commitment to the Jimmy Fund, a charity that supports cancer patient care.



The Green Monster is Fenway Park's most famous feature. The Green Monster is 37 feet, 2 inches tall and was built in 1934 to keep line drives in the stadium, since the foul pole down the third base line is only 310 feet away. Until 1947, the wall was covered in advertisements. A ladder, to the left of the Covidien advertisement, was used to retrieve balls from the netting above the Green Monster before the seats were built in top in 2003.



Looking at the press box and grandstand from the right field seats. The current press box and upper level was built in 1988.



Looking down the first base line from the right field seating. The foul pole, known as the "Pesky Pole", is only 302 feet away from home plate before the outfield wall curves sharply back.



"The Triangle" is a section of the field, near the Glaint Glass advertisement on the outfield wall, where the outfield wall turns back before heading towards left field, forming a small triangle. The back of the triangle is 420 feet from home plate.



The view from the grandstand behind home plate.



A look towards the seats in right-center field. A lone red seat can be seen below the Ford advertisement in the upper half of the stands.



The lone red seat, at Section 42, Row 37, Seat 21, marks the spot where the longest home run in the stadium's history landed. The home run was hit by Ted Williams on June 9, 1946.



Seats along the third base line. The blue seats under the second level are the only remaining wooden seats in Major League Baseball.



The door to the Green Monster can be seen to the left of "AT BAT". This door gives access to the people that change the game score and out of town scores manually.



The famous CITGO sign can be seen from Fenway Park, and can be seen on television when a home run over the Green Monster is hit.



The view from the Green Monster seats, which fans did not get to see until 2003 when seats were installed in order to bring Fenway Park's seating capacity to modern standards.



The Pesky Pole's odd angle is best seen from atop the Green Monster. Here, the pole appears to sit in the middle of an almost straight wall.



A concession area in the concourse on the third base line.



New murals can also be found around the stadium, such as this one that shows the team's pennants and world championships.



The Steel Bridge is one of the unique features of Fenway Park. The bridge was built in 1949 and connected Fenway Park with the adjacent John B. Smith Building to give the media a shortcut from their offices to the ballpark.



The view of the field from the third base line, with the Back Bay/Copley Square skyline in the background



These wooden seats, in the lower bowl of the stadium, are the oldest seats in Major League Baseball, and are the only remaining wooden seats in Major League Baseball.



In the concourses of the lower bowl, small murals that are several decades old can be found in certain areas along the wall.



Looking down Lansdowne Street from underneath the Green Monster seating.



The Cask'n Flagon, at Lansdowne Street & Brookline Avenue. The bar was opened in 1969 as Oliver's, a neighborhood watering hole, and Oliver's still operates in the back as a music venue.



Buildings on Lansdowne Street. The House of Blues is located in a 1905 warehouse. In the distance is the Prudential Tower, completed in 1964 and 749 feet tall. 111 Huntington Avenue, 554 feet tall and built in 2002, is to the right of the Prudential Tower.



Signage for Fenway Park on the stadium's center field outer walls, along Lansdowne Street.



Lansdowne Street from the Green Monster concourse. Lansdowne Street is lined with bars and restaurants.



Before Red Sox games, Lansdowne Street is a center of activity for fans.



Buildings on Lansdowne Street. On the left is an old garage for the Boston Garage Company, built in 1915. The buildings in the center and on the right were built in 1910.



Underneath the right field seats is a concourse connecting gates to the stadium and sections of seats to amenities.



A game-day scene in the concourse beneath the seats in right field.



Watching a game at Fenway Park can take patrons back to simpler times in baseball.



An old ballpark like Fenway Park provides many obstructed views due to steel support beams, such as this view from the first base line. Most fans, however, will put up with obstructed views in order to take in a Red Sox game or a game in a historic stadium.



With the noted renovations and expansions found throughout the ballpark, Fenway Park will continue to host Red Sox games for decades to come.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
What a great set of pictures, top notch.

Kenmore Square has undergone quite a transformation over the last several years. When I was up in Boston for college it used to be a little bit run down and there were a few dive type bars.
 

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
Joined
·
27,582 Posts
Interesting pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, is the Mother Church of the Church of Christ, Scientist , not The Church of Scientology. The members are Christian Scientists, not Scientologists.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Fenway/Kenmore

Why is the Green Line station near Fenway not called Fenway but the station further from it is?
The stop nearest to Fenway Park is the D line (underground) that stops at Kenmore Square. From there you walk UP to Fenway Park. Then the Fenway Station (Above Ground) on the D line.

OR you could take the E line (Above Ground) to the Longwood Medical Area stop that is at Longwood Avenue and about four blocks down to Fenway Park. It is named Fenway because it is near the Fenway neighborhood, not the baseball park (that is in the the Fenway neighborhood).

Both the D line And E line are on the Green Line. If you want to take the E line you must be sure to select it going outbound in the city as it splits at Copley station (B, C & D Split at Kenmore Station).
 

·
A B C
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
Why is the Green Line station near Fenway not called Fenway but the station further from it is?
Because the Fenway Station is named after the Back Bay Fens as is Fenway Park.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top