SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Went to Boston this past week for my birthday just for the sake of going there and seeing it. It is an amazing city and the week I spent there just flew by. Of all the American cities I've been to, this one reminded me the most of Melbourne. With the old brick buildings co-existing with modern high-rises, plentiful parks, bushy tree covered streets, small laneways, a more cultural and educated scene,and a feeling of cleanliness, it was almost like a parallel universe. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures:

South End along Massachusetts Ave

John Hancock- Tallest building in New England

The Prudential Tower

Views from the Prudential Tower- Looking toward Newbury St/Charles River

Big John, One of my favourite 70's boxes

Yours truly

Fenway Park

Boston Common

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
Fantastic pictures. Boston is a great town with some wonderful historic neighbourhoods. I went there last year but unfortunately it was winter. I did the Freedom Trail but it was so cold it was almost too unbearable to walk around.

·
16,469 Posts
Definently one of americas finer cities. The city itself is quite dense although the CBD is quite small.

Thanks for the great tour!

·
Australian EU in London!
906 Posts
The Boston CBD would have gone through a multitude of changes in the past few years, particularly as a result of the Big Dig operation (one of the largest building and infrastructure projects EVER). It has freed up a lot of space within the CBD and has allowed a lot more parkland to be created along the original overhead freeway route.

Awesome photos dude! Well done! :)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I don't understand why the Big Dig is so 'big'? Call me ignorant but it's really no different to road infrastructure projects like City Link or Sydney's distrubuter tunnels.... let alone the planned Eddington tunnels in Melbourne or Brisbane's airport link....

·
Australian EU in London!
906 Posts
Because essentially, the tunnel was built while the existing overhead freeway was still in operation, not to mention the various other pieces of infrastructure that had to be moved (gas, water, electricity) whilst all of this was going on.

Think of it this way... the project was officially started back in 1991. As of the beginning of this year, there was still associated works happening. Do a search for "Boston Big Dig" and you'll see what I mean.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,243 Posts
Boston is a great city.

You've done a great job with all those photos. I want to visit it one day.

Th e big dig is amazing, watched a documentry about it on the discovery channel.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Hey everyone,
Went to Boston this past week for my birthday just for the sake of going there and seeing it. It is an amazing city and the week I spent there just flew by. Of all the American cities I've been to, this one reminded me the most of Melbourne. With the old brick buildings co-existing with modern high-rises, plentiful parks, bushy tree covered streets, small laneways, a more cultural and educated scene,and a feeling of cleanliness, it was almost like a parallel universe. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures:
I had the same impressions. Also, Boston's multicultural make-up is similar to Melbourne's, with significant Irish, Italian, Jewish, Greek, Chinese and Vietnamese communities. The best/styliest Little Italy I saw in North America was in Boston, the North End as it's known, and well depicted in your pics. Lastly, Boston is sister cities with Melbourne.

Great photo tour :cheers:

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
I don't understand why the Big Dig is so 'big'? Call me ignorant but it's really no different to road infrastructure projects like City Link or Sydney's distrubuter tunnels.... let alone the planned Eddington tunnels in Melbourne or Brisbane's airport link....

Oh its huge - effectively transferring overhead freeways to underground. I was in Boston in 1995 and the Big Dig was causing major gridlock even back then.

As regards it being like Melbourne, I can't see it - they are very different IMO. Melbourne's streets are well planned but Boston's are a bit narrower and quirkier.

I love the Back bay area and Fenway Park with its green timber seats is awesome. I caught a Red Sox game there and the history of this ball park (oldest in USA) is great. You can sit back and picture Babe Ruth hitting home runs over the green monster all those years ago.

Boston = a great American city. Great photos - thanks.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Oh its huge - effectively transferring overhead freeways to underground. I was in Boston in 1995 and the Big Dig was causing major gridlock even back then.

As regards it being like Melbourne, I can't see it - they are very different IMO. Melbourne's streets are well planned but Boston's are a bit narrower and quirkier.

I love the Back bay area and Fenway Park with its green timber seats is awesome. I caught a Red Sox game there and the history of this ball park (oldest in USA) is great. You can sit back and picture Babe Ruth hitting home runs over the green monster all those years ago.

Boston = a great American city. Great photos - thanks.
That's true, the architecture is different, but the similarities lie in the many grand and humble heritage buildings both cities have. As well as a common 'old world in the new world' sense of place they exude, if you know what I mean? Cultural and educational cities with a liberal outlook, yet assiduous about their 'status' and heritage at the same time. In America Boston is considered more cultured than other American ciities, as Melbourne is seen as the cultural capital of Australia (rightly or worngly for both).

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
I'm a bit of an American Revolution addict. Boston's (as well as Lexington, Concord etc) part in this fascinating history gives a texture to the city that no Australian city can get remotely close to. Also, there is a real feeling when you walk through the Harvard yard that can only be matched in places like Oxford. Again, I just don't think Australia rates in this regard - we only have 200 years of history.

·
En travesti
510 Posts
The area around Newbury Street and Charles River looks so cool, like Marylebone in London but tidyer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts