Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the new ICA being built in Boston. It's 65,000 square feet and was designed by the product design/architect team Diller & Scofidio. The neigborhood is Fort Point Channel. It's being built on a pier. This is just one of the many areas that was opened up to transformation by The Big Dig.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, this area, called the South Boston Waterfront/Seaport District, was open to development a long time before the Big Dig. It was just a vast sea of parking lots that just now is having a development boom. It's really amazing how empty and barren this area is, right across the Channel from downtown. Hopefully now that people have realized the true value of this land, it will start to be filled in nicely. The ICA is a good start to this and looks cool just standing alone there surrounded by nothing (except for parking lots of course).

The area freed up by the Big Dig is across Fort Point Channel (where the tall cylindrical building is standing in the second to last picture). That swath of land, called the Rose Kenndy Greenway is being made into a long park with a few civic buildings along it (visit http://www.ncacboston.org and http://www.bostonmuseum.org for info on two of the buildings proposed for the Greenway). But enough about the Big Dig, let's talk about the ICA! I'm very excited for the opening of this building in September. IMO, it's one of the best "fold" designs I've ever seen and certaintly among the best modern buildings built in Boston in a long time.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures of the new ICA. Another fantastic cultural addition to Boston's waterfront.

Is it actually in Southie?

·
Registered
571 Posts
^^South Boston and Southie are different...Southie is in Southeastern Boston (pretty sure) and historically is known as a highly Irish neighborhood. A lot of the South Boston things you're hearing about concerning development are made available because of the new available land due to the Big Dig.

·
Registered
255 Posts
tmac14wr said:
^^South Boston and Southie are different

are you sure about that? I have always heard south boston reffered to as southie. Never thought they were different.

:runaway: :cheers: :bash:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Southie is South Boston, but in a way tmac14dw is right: the area under development, the South Boston waterfront and Commonwealth Flats, is almost entirely industrial land, port facilities, warehouses and parking lots. No one lives here; everyone lives in the southeastern area of Southie.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's worth noting that the Big Dig did open this area, because of the new tunnel on I-90 with an exit in the seaport district. The new and improved bridges across Ft. Point channel helped too. The Dig makes it much easier to get into DT and the Seaport is becoming something of a mixed use extension of the traditional Financial District.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts