Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The office and retail building is being designed by award-winning Japanese architect Shigeru Ban, along with local architects Warren and Mahoney. Ban also designed Christ Church Cathedral's Transitional Cardboard Cathedral on Hereford St. Site owners Redson Corporation said earlier this week that the building was due for completion in November 2019. Occupying the site of the former ANZ bank headquarters, the building will house a store for Redson's business Aotea Gifts, which also owns the Naturally New Zealand chain of stores. It will also house a cafe, restaurant and other stores. Redson director Richard Hanson said the new building's design was inspired by Canterbury's braided rivers. It would be built using engineered pine timber and a glazed facade and feature 38 columns. "Christchurch has lost so many special buildings, so it is important that new buildings are of high quality and have a strong narrative," he said. "This is particularly important for Cathedral Square as it is still a strong tourism destination in the city." Redson Corporation hopes construction can start in October. Their resource consent bid was lodged this week. The company bought the site last year. Prior to housing ANZ, it was home to the United Service Hotel. On the other southern corner of Cathedral Square, the large office building for telecommunications tenant Spark is already under construction and is also due to be ready in November 2019.

The Press
ONE NEWS REPORT:

https://youtu.be/NBz-7yBSjCQ

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to Cr. Deon Swiggs it doesn't seem like it has been abandoned. The canopy recommendation has also been approved.

Quote from his page:
"Very pleased to see a lease for this buildings columns to be on unused public road along the Cathedral Square accepted by council. It will enable a canopy to be built that will provide a bit of shelter in cathedral square and open the building up to the public realm.
The development is designed by Shigeru Ban who designed the transitional cathedral. It will be a focal point for the square and the city. Todays decision gives certainty to the developers to now start the project who are keen to get started. Resource consents are all approved and ready to go.

From what I understand is once all funding arrangements are finalised by the developers construction will start. Aotea Gifts will take up part of the space as well as retail and hospitality offerings to activate the public spaces around the building. Go to braided.co.nz for more info."

Source.

·
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still no work underway on this site. I wonder what the hold up is?
Increasing its height to make it more economic I hope (please)!

But seriously, I do hope we get some progress on this. This and the Spark building were supposed to finish at the same time. Looks like Spark will be finished before this one even starts.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I'd say it's not a great sign, but not as bad as the article above. The construction would/is going to take quite a bit of time after all and the fit out of a temporary shop in the meantime would still make sense while that is going on

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'd say it's not a great sign, but not as bad as the article above. The construction would/is going to take quite a bit of time after all and the fit out of a temporary shop in the meantime would still make sense while that is going on
Yeah, The building looks cool, and I think it would be a nice location for such a building... but I can't help but think that it's a waste being only 2 levels... If something like this was built that was say 4 levels, that would be better.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I walked past on Sunday evening (too dark for a good picture) and noticed there were a couple more site offices near the shipping container. Anyone know how long they've been there (above picture is from May)?
Been there a while, few weeks at least I'd say. Ones actually a dunny block that isn't plumbed in, so maybe it's being stored. They're within the footprint of the building so I doubt they're for this.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts