Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brain scare forces Fred Ma to resign

Top government minister Frederick Ma Si-hang has been forced to resign after being diagnosed with what is thought to be a brain tumor, it emerged last night.
The secretary for commerce and economic development tendered his resignation to Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen on June 12, making his decision after speaking with his family and his boss.

Last night Ma, 56, who joined the government from the private sector in 2002, said: "I have recently discovered that I have cavernous hemangioma and venous angioma. After discussions with my family, I have decided to step down from my current position."

Medical experts said the conditions pointed to a benign tumor.

Tsang said: "I understand and sympathize with Ma's condition. I will forward his resignation to the central government for consideration. I fully support him and his family and wish him a quick recovery."

Ma joined the government as the secretary for financial services and the treasury.

The bureau's newly appointed undersecretary, Gregory So Kam- leung, said it was too early to say whether he would succeed Ma.

A cavernous hemangioma is a benign tumor of blood vessels in the brain, according to University of Hong Kong honorary professor of clinical oncology Jonathan Sham Shun-tong.

The causes are unknown and in some cases it can cause a stroke or brain damage but is often treatable.

Sham said there are only about 100 new cases of maligant brain tumor in Hong Kong a year.

Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong chairman Tam Yiu-chung said he spoke to Ma last night and he appeared to be optimistic. "He said he has some problems in his brain and he will speak about it once things are settled," Tam said.

Liberal Party lawmaker Tommy Cheung Yu-yan said he knew about Ma's condition not long ago and the news upset the party.

Democratic Party chairman Albert Ho Chun-yan said he is surprised and sorry to hear about Ma's health.

Ma gave up a HK$10 million annual income in the private sector to become secretary for financial services and the treasury.

His popularity plunged with the penny stock incident after just two months in the job and he was once the most unpopular secretary.

·
EiGhT 5 & tWo
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
馬時亨:仙股事件是恩賜

(明報) 06月 25日 星期三 04:45PM

商務及經濟發展局 長馬時亨 表示,在3個月前他發現有腦血管畸型症,而仙股事件對他來說是恩賜。

馬時亨在下午會見記者講述他決定辭職的經過,他表示,在3個月前一次偶然的檢查時,發現左腦入面腦部血管畸型情況,由於病源深入腦部,不宜做手術或治療。醫生表示,他沒有即時的生命危險,但有機會中腦中血及中風 ,需要減磅15至20磅。他與家人經過詳細討論後,於6月12日向特首辭職,他希望可在7月11日離任,與本屆立法會 任期一起完結。

馬時亨多謝市民的支持,並對有機會服務香港,感到很光榮。被問及對上任之初遇到仙股事件有何感想,他回應稱,現時回首看,這是很大的恩賜,明白做人要謙卑,要以民為本,在過程中令他明白到什麼是政治,大家針對的對象不是他,而是針對制度本身,而他作為制度一部分,需要負責,當時最嚴厲批評他的議員已成為他的好朋友。

他指出,做人遇挫折不要放棄,彩虹在大雨後出現,積極面對會活得更好。

馬時亨稱,在任內最大的遺憾是不能令天水圍 的一塊土地,建成特賣場,感到很可惜,希望有一日他可作為普通市民,到那裏看一看。

1 - 3 of 3 Posts