SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photographs taken 07/11/11 of this development

The completion of this new shop unit caused the existing shop unit with flats above ( 1 - 6 Carlisle Court) to be left in position when the other, from memory about 9 up to five storey blocks of flats ( Gordon Court etc ) of similar construction to that below in picture below were demolished and the area grassed over

Site area scheduled for new housing

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brandling/Carlisle/ Gordon etc Courts, Carlisle St & Church Place area, Felling, Gateshead- Demolition

Further to my post #1 ( gateshead thread post 329) dated 8 November 2011 which shows current state of "grassed over" site area I have discovered some pictures taken when I was involved with project that shows demolition work being carried out by G O'Brien & Sons ( Nationwide Demolition Contractors) Ltd in early part of contract, February 2008 .

Shows how long that the occupied Shop Unit in Block 1-6 Carlisle Court (noted on # 1, Gateshead 329) has held up overall completion of the contract - now at least 9 months behind scheduled 3 year term that was allowed for the work.

Most of the work was carried out within the first 15 months

05/02/14 EDIT

This is screen print of site drawing produced in GMBC Design Services by the late Tom Cooper showing blocks that were demolished, taken from the planning documents on http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=JN6C3YHK03P00

Properties demolished by the scheme are as follows:-

DC/07/01383/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of dwellinghouses and garages.

1- 18 Brandling Court, 42 Garages Off Brandling Place, 1-6, 7-14, 23-32, 33-42 Carlisle Court, 15-22 Etienne Court, 1-26 Church Court, 1-16 Gordon Court, 8 Garages Off Summer Street Felling Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE10 0JN

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brandling/Carlisle/ Gordon etc Courts, Carlisle St & Church Place area, Felling, Gateshead- Demolition of Shop Unit etc at 29/06/12

Further to my message #3 (Gateshead thread post 381) dated 15 November 2011 showing demolition work being carried out by G O'Brien & Sons (Nationwide Demolition Contractors) Ltd in early part of contract, February 2008, it was apparent on 29/06/11 AM when I passed the site the work has finally began of the removal of the shop unit (the last part of the overall contract works).

This has been held up for a period of nearly 2 years by tenancy relocation

Here are a couple of pictures by myself (hosted on Photobucket) showing early stage of demolition to the shop and 1 -6 Carlisle Court flats above

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brandling/Carlisle/ Gordon etc Courts, Carlisle St & Church Place area, Felling, Gateshead- Demolition of Shop Unit etc at 30/06/12

Further to my message #4 (Gateshead thread post 683) dated 29 June 2012 (yesterday) when I made comment about initial moves concerning the removal of the shop and 6 flats block (the last part of the overall contract works).

Here are some pictures by myself 30/06/12 approx 1900 (hosted on Photobucket) showing what has happened to the block in the last 36 hours

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Church Place and adjacent areas, Felling Gateshead - demolition of properties

ON Gateshead Council Planning Portal 24/09/13 -Prior approval required and approved

DC/13/01128/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of dwellinghouses.

Embleton Gardens (1-7), Laburnum Gardens (1-11), Hawthorn Gardens (1-11), Eastern Gardens (1-18) And Church Place (17-22) Felling Gateshead NE10 0HY

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MSP4MVHK09O00

From documents anticipated start 04/11/13 - not before time as prepared tender documents for this work approx 30 months ago prior to "getting out"

Relates to these traditional properties (mostly bungalows) on area enclosed red on this Google Maps screen print, north of Felling Metro Station/west of Christ Church and is part of the clearance, started some years back with the Brandling/Carlisle Street "Flats" (covered in http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=85704341&postcount=381)

All part of the long term regeneration of housing in this area

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
182 Posts
ON Gateshead Council Planning Portal 24/09/13 -Prior approval required and approved

DC/13/01128/DEM

Embleton Gardens (1-7), Laburnum Gardens (1-11), Hawthorn Gardens (1-11), Eastern Gardens (1-18) And Church Place (17-22) Felling Gateshead NE10 0HY

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MSP4MVHK09O00

From documents anticipated start 04/11/13 - not before time as prepared tender documents for this work approx 30 months ago prior to "getting out"

Relates to these traditional properties (mostly bungalows) on area enclosed red on this Google Maps screen print, north of Felling Metro Station/east of Christ Church and is part of the clearance, started some years back with the Brandling/Carlisle Street "Flats" (covered in http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=85704341&postcount=381)

KEN
These look like exactly the sort of houses that are needed for older people required to downsize because of the bedroom task. Why are Gateshead Council obsessed with demolishing perfectly good properties that just need a bit of TLC?

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Church Place and adjacent areas, Felling Gateshead - demolition of properties

This being my post 1248:-

DC/13/01128/DEM

Relates to these traditional properties (mostly bungalows) on area enclosed red on this Google Maps screen print, north of Felling Metro Station/west of Christ Church and is part of the clearance, started some years back with the Brandling/Carlisle Street "Flats" (covered in http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=85704341&postcount=381)

KEN
These pictures by myself 09/10/13 approx 1045 - 1100 to show representative images of the properties (houses and bungalows), located west of Christ Curch, Felling that are to be demolished - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
These pictures by myself 09/10/13 approx 1045 - 1100 to show representative images of the properties (houses and bungalows), located west of Christ Curch, Felling that are to be demolished - images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Don't know this area at all but why is this social housing to be demolished - is there a structural problem with them?, they look ok to me and surely folk are screaming out for single bedroomed property.

Am I missing something here :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Don't know this area at all but why is this social housing to be demolished - is there a structural problem with them?, they look ok to me and surely folk are screaming out for single bedroomed property.

Am I missing something here :eek:hno:
From the council's pov:

Land = valuable

Properties full of 'problem' tenants = drain on resources.

Solution = demolition + ££££

Disgraceful state of affairs, and certainly not exclusive to Gateshead.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Separate thread opened for Brandling Area Housing Regeneration (Felling) | Gateshead | Various | Demolition and all previous posts copied from the Gateshead Development thread.

All future Brandling Area Housing Regeneration postings to this thread please.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brandling (Felling) area - historic view of development area covered on this thread

These images to show the area to development over the period of time

First a screen print of latest Google Map image, highlighted to show area of proposed development

This scan from Felling OS 1894 Map from Godfrey Series

This screen print of image from Google earth 2001, marked up to show now demolished Field St terrace of properties, blocks of flats and maisonettes - marked Red X

This screen print of image from Google earth December 2002, closer in to show now demolished blocks of flats and maisonettes

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brandling (Felling) development area - past planning applications for demolition of properties

Planning Applications made in past for demolition of existing properties on the development area

DC/07/01383/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of dwellinghouses and garages.

1- 18 Brandling Court, 42 Garages Off Brandling Place, 1-6, 7-14, 23-32, 33-42 Carlisle Court, 15-22 Etienne Court, 1-26 Church Court, 1-16 Gordon Court, 8 Garages Off Summer Street Felling Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE10 0JN

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JN6C3YHK03P00

AND

DC/07/01386/DEM

DETERMINATION OF PRIOR APPROVAL: Demolition of dwellinghouses 1-6 Mulberry Street and 1-19 Field Street Felling.

1-6 Mulberry Street And 1-19 Field Street Felling Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE10 0JB

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=JN6HTRHK03P00

The block of flats at Mulberry St were removed from demolition scheme and have been subsequently refurished

Covered in post on Gateshead Developments thread http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=85499036&postcount=330

KEN

·
Registered
137 Posts
These images to show the area to development over the period of time

First a screen print of latest Google Map image, highlighted to show area of proposed development

This scan from Felling OS 1894 Map from Godfrey Series

This screen print of image from Google earth 2001, marked up to show now demolished Field St terrace of properties, blocks of flats and maisonettes - marked Red X

This screen print of image from Google earth December 2002, closer in to show now demolished blocks of flats and maisonettes

KEN
Looking at the extent of the proposed development along one side of Carlisle Street, and with there already being a thread to cover the development on the other side of Carlisle Street, I wonder if it would be worth merging them together?

Andy

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Church Place and adjacent areas, Felling Gateshead - demolition of properties, as at 22/11/13

Ref those properties shown in post 8 of 09/10/13:-

As at 22/11/13 AM no sign of any demolition work taking place

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Church Place and adjacent areas, Felling Gateshead - demolition of properties, as at 15/01/14

Ref those properties shown in post 8 of 09/10/13:-

Visited the area today, 15/01/14 around 1500 to see if there was any activity and was was met with metal panel hoardings around whole area, with gated access on Church Place onto road network at mid point of area and footpath that runs along along northern boundary (next to sports field) blocked off

These photographs taken at that time show state of play and looks as if some initial work is taking place having spotted JCB and one operative on foot

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Church Place and adjacent areas, Felling Gateshead - demolition of properties, as at 02/02/14

Ref those properties last shown in my pictures in post #16 of 15/01/14:-

Visited the area today, Sunday 02/02/14 and at around 1015 - 1045 was met with a closed for Sunday, main contractor now being seen to be Owen Pugh Contracts Ltd site, with metal panel hoardings around whole area, a lot of it almost down due to the effect of overnight high wind

These photographs taken at that time show state of play and work has taken place to demolish bungalows west of entrance to the site area and roof tile stripping in progress on other properties (images hosted on Photobucket)

My thanks to the local resident with small dog that I had a 15 minute chat to, giving me the information about damage to metal hoardings happening overnight due to the strong wind

I hope that you found this Forum and this thread and as discussed it would be great if you could post current as well as pictures from recent years of

- the now demolished Carlisle, Gordon, Brandling etc Courts shown in posy #3 on this thread

- other pictures that you have from your time living in the area and working for over 36 years in the construction side of Gateshead Council - eg shots from cradles on multi storey blocks, Trinity Square Car Park etc

- Threads where these pictures could be posted include:-

HISTORY and OLD PHOTOS of the North East (Areas Outside the Newcastle City Boundary)

Gateshead Area Developments

and other "project specific" threads that have been set up

Pictures from the past are always valued.

KEN

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Church Place and adjacent areas, Felling Gateshead - demolition of properties, as at 06/02/14

Ref those properties last shown in my pictures in post #19 of 02/02/14:-

Visited the area Thursday 06/02/14 and at around 1230 was met with Owen Pugh Contracts Ltd machine having carried out work in last 4 days demolishing both the 2 storey houses (west end of site) and bungalows to left of entrance gate - both shown in previous post

These photographs taken at that time show state of play and work has taken place as noted above and roof tile stripping etc in progress on other properties (images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

1 - 20 of 28 Posts