Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to find recent photographs of a palace or manor. I have several late 19th century photographs that are titled Palac Branicy, Branica Podlasiu, and Branicy powiat Radzynski. The palace belonged to the Szlubowski family and later the Rulikowski family. An extensive search of the net has failed to locate any history of the building. I am writing a history of the Rulikowski family.

Mike from Australia
P.S. If anyone can tell me how to send a photo of this building, it would be great help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt response. I am going to have to get a friend to upload my photos, as i am not very computer literate. The Rulikowski family is one of the noble families who lived in the Lubelskie district. They built several palaces, manors and religious buildings in the region: the earliest i have located is the late 15th century. I am writing a detailed history of the palaces and religious buildings associated with the family. To date, I have been able to locate information on the net and other sources for most of these structures. Yet, while I have both 19th C exterior and interior photographs of Branicy Palace, I have not been able to locate any recent photographs or information. i have also located significant information on the genealogy: the Rulikowski's and Szlubowski's intermarried over successive generations. The Lublin archives have documents for the family for the period 1520 to the 1950s.
At this time I don't have the resources to travel to Poland.
Just another query: while i have found a wealth of information and photographs on the western side of the current Polish/Ukraine border, where the family lived, I haven't been able to locate any information on the Rulikowski estates east of this current border. Is there any web resources that i have missed, or is it just that the web infrastructure is not well developed in the Ukraine, or are people not as interested in their heritage as are the Polish people?
Mikeau

·
Wielkopolanin :)
1,363 Posts
Hi,
Palace in Branica Radzynska was built in 1884 year. Now it's a school, you can contackt with they: e-mail [email protected] or post: Szkoła Podstawowa w Branicy Radzyńskiej 21-315 Radzyń Podlaski. I can't find any photos in the Internet, sorry.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts

Zespół pałacowo-parkowy w Branicy Radzyńskiej, a w nim pałac z 1884 r. w parku krajobrazowym, oficyna stróżówka, czworaki, kuchnia i stelmacharnia. Obecnie szkoła

translation:
Palace-Park complex in Branica Radzynska, comprised of: built in yr. 1884 in scenic park the palace, the caretaker's lodge, living quarters for farm labourers, the kitchen and wheelwright shop.
At present school

http://www.radzynpodlaski.pl/zabytki/index.htm

^^ That's how much I was able to find

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Just another query: while i have found a wealth of information and photographs on the western side of the current Polish/Ukraine border, where the family lived, I haven't been able to locate any information on the Rulikowski estates east of this current border. Is there any web resources that i have missed, or is it just that the web infrastructure is not well developed in the Ukraine, or are people not as interested in their heritage as are the Polish people?
Mikeau
It may be, because Ukrainians use different alphabet, so to find anything in ukrainian sources, you would have to have cyrilic keyboard and basic knowledge of the Ukrainian.
Another thing is, that Ukrainians in western Ukraine, are fairly nationalistic and considering complicated history of polish-ukrainian relations, on what it used to be Poland's eastern frontiers, where the Poles were the ruling class and Ukrainians were the peasants, it is not likely that Ukrainians would be interested in propagating glory of their than superior brother nation. Ukrainians, at this point of their history, are busy in building their own identity apart from the reality, when they were dominated by other nations (mainly Poles and Russians). Right now they are emphasising they own achivements - whatever they were, and not the ones, that the others had on the territory of present Ukraine.
You see, independent Ukraine is only some 15 years old, so there is a lot of insecurity there, about their national identity, history etc. Ukrainians are simply not ready yet to talk objectivly about their past. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ukrainian information resources

You see, independent Ukraine is only some 15 years old, so there is a lot of insecurity there, about their national identity, history etc. Ukrainians are simply not ready yet to talk objectivly about their past. That's my opinion.

Thanks for the picture: I had spent hours trying to find a photo. Also, thanks for the insightful comment about the Ukrainian situation. Your opinion is supported by the experiences of a fellow student at my university who is writing a first hand account of her and her family's experiences when Stalin was deporting the Polish land-owners to Siberia in the 1940s. She is in her late 70s, and is writing an autobiography of her family's escape from their estate north of Kovel, back to Poland.
She is having a great deal of trouble trying to locate archival information from the region, and attempts to contact people from the region have been met with a great deal of problems. She has commented that many of her contacts are very nervous to correspond with her and especially provide her with historical information.
Unfortunately these are problems people face who live at the arse-end of the world, trying to do European research!
Mike

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi,

Ok, so here is a hint I can give you. The best way to get information on the Polish history of western Ukraine is to get in touch with some local (Polish) non-profit travel agency. For instance, I travelled with the Warsaw branch of the PTTK (http://www.pttk.com.pl/Pl/index_fr.htm) to Ukraine and it was amazing. They have guides, who not only know these areas like the back of their hands, but also know who to talk to, when to visit, where to stay and where to get information. For more information go to the above website, or email [email protected]

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts