SkyscraperCity banner

Overall, which cities has the greatest number (or percentange) of brash residents?

• Baltimore

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Boston

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Chicago

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Cleveland

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Detroit

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Houston

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Minneapolis

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • New York City

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • San Francisco

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • St. Louis

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Washington, D.C.

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 15 21.4%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many parts of the U.S. are now rude, reckless, hurried, and self centered due to transplants, immigration, and media influence. However, some areas are like this more than others. Of the cities listed in the poll, which city has the brashes residents?

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
Washington DC is the only place that comes to mind on that list. But even that doesn't justify it, because there's no way to really back it up other than from experience. Washington itself has its own spread of rudeness, but most of the arrogance comes from the outlying suburban areas. Baltimore has never occurred to me as being rude. There's a very laid back atmosphere there and it's very community oriented overall.

I also had a very good experience when I went to New York a month ago. Everyone there was extremely friendly and willing to help. On the subway, if you asked one person where to go, they would answer without reluctance; then other people would go the extra mile to help as well.

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Furiine said:
Washington DC is the only place that comes to mind on that list. But even that doesn't justify it, because there's no way to really back it up other than from experience. Washington itself has its own spread of rudeness, but most of the arrogance comes from the outlying suburban areas. Baltimore has never occurred to me as being rude. There's a very laid back atmosphere there and it's very community oriented overall.

I also had a very good experience when I went to New York a month ago. Everyone there was extremely friendly and willing to help. On the subway, if you asked one person where to go, they would answer without reluctance; then other people would go the extra mile to help as well.
I do not consider any city in the Northeast or Midatlantic laidback except for Pittsburgh.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
How do you mean? I'm saying this out of experience as well, not by comparison with other cities around the country. It's too subjective to really determine which city is the rudest. Some people have better experiences than others; maybe came to the right place at the right time. Despite it being cool and overcast when I was in New York, that didn't change a thing. When I compare the two cities I'm closest too, Baltimore is more inviting than DC. That's my basis.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Tampa813 said:
New York, unanimously. If you don't know your way around the city, don't bother asking for directions.

When I looked lost in New York's subway, a guy went out of his way to help me out. (I didn't even have to ask for his help.)

·
Panache
133 Posts
Tampa813 said:
New York, unanimously. If you don't know your way around the city, don't bother asking for directions.
Either you are simply basing this off of the typical southern "yankee" stereotype, or you had an extremely rare and unfortunate experience while visiting NYC. Nearly everyone i've ever come into contact there is very friendly. They simply are not fake...well...on the whole at least. Being real and honest is not the same as being rude. This is a common misconception among some southerners who apparently feel that one must fakely pretend like a stranger is his or her favorite person in the world in order to truly be a good person.

·
18,160 Posts
Skanky the Boricuo said:
This is a common misconception among some southerners who apparently feel that one must fakely pretend like a stranger is his or her favorite person in the world in order to truly be a good person.
so true. i was in houston last week waiting for a connection flight between las vegas and philly. a few people waved to me, nodded to me, or said "hello". this was really strange to me. in fact, i'm not even sure if these things were directed towards me; they were i my direction, but it was too strange to be true. since this is something i am not used to, i ignored them.

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
xzmattzx said:
so true. i was in houston last week waiting for a connection flight between las vegas and philly. a few people waved to me, nodded to me, or said "hello". this was really strange to me. in fact, i'm not even sure if these things were directed towards me; they were i my direction, but it was too strange to be true. since this is something i am not used to, i ignored them.
You're only getting a small taste of that city. Houston's northern transplant population is porbably larger than the entire Wilminton, DE municipality.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tampa813 said:
Funny, I had quite a few new yorkers help me out when I was trying to sort things out. You just have to know who to ask, you don't just stop some random guy in a hurry on the street, that doesn't work anywhere.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
xzmattzx said:
:lol: Thats funny.

I think NYers get a bad rap in this area. I think if you're asking for help NYers will gladly help if they're not in a hurry or something. They may be quicker to tell you when to f*** off but offering help to a stranger is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts