SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Now Tamworth
5,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning has gone in.

Link: http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/...rView.aspx?type=eplprod_DC_PLANAPP&key=641655

Developer PegasusLife has unveiled its proposals for the Brassington Avenue site in the town centre, which include five ‘rotated’ tower blocks, 235 apartments, an indoor swimming pool, private cinema and fully equipped gym. The details of the proposed development were sent to 3,500 surrounding homes and businesses this week.

If plans are approved the Brassington site will also have a piazza open to the public, with commercial space on the ground floor, which PegasusLife says will expand the town centre.

Pegasus Life said the proposed development as ‘Little Park’ alongside its more illustrious ‘Big Park’ accessed via Manor Road and Park Road.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
Well I wasn't expecting this! As brum2003 said you wonder what residents of Sutton Coldfield will make of it. But looking on Google Maps it's right by the town centre so could work quite well - plus it's for old people who don't tend to be much of a threat. :D

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The development is still facing the back of gracechurch - a huge brick wall. Not that appealing imo

Do we say goodbye to the master plan now?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sandwiched between a ring road and a railway embankment, and facing the back end of a multi-storey car park... Someone will have to work hard to sort out pedestrian connectivity and surrounding streetscape to make this a more attractive development

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,805 Posts
I hope it happens as they'll be great landmarks. Or they'll stick out like a sore thumb, I'm not sure which actually. :hmm:

Maybe they'd be suited better to Birmingham proper. In fact, I'm surprised these could get the go ahead in Sutton Coldfield when so many adventurous tall buildings have been turned down in the city centre.

·
Registered
28,148 Posts
Sutton Coldfield tower blocks poised for green light
25 September 2014 05:00 AM By Neil Elkes
Long-awaited plans are set to be backed by city council despite protests over spoilt views from Sutton Park

Sutton Coldfield
Long-awaited proposals to build five tower blocks in Sutton Coldfield town centre are set to be approved by city planners next week.

Pegasus Life wants to build the towers as part of a retirement village complex on waste ground at Brassington Avenue, between the Gracechurch Shopping Centre and main railway line.

Designs for the towers, which range from nine to 16 storeys and contain a total of 240 apartments, have been controversial with 45 letters of objection from residents.

English Heritage and the council's own conservation panel have complained the towers are too tall and will spoil views from the historic Sutton Park.

According to a report to the planning committee, English Heritage said: "An assessment of the level of harm that the development may cause to the setting of and significance of the asset (Sutton Park) is required followed by a reduction in the height of the towers, should the harm prove unacceptable."

Councillor David Pears (Con Sutton Trinity) said: "The height of buildings overlooks properties on the other side of the railway line and detracts from the vista from Sutton Park.

"The height is not in keeping with the street scene or the character of the area."

He also says that parking for 120 cars is insufficient and will lead to further on street parking problems in the town centre.

But planning officers believe the towers' design and spacing are an improvement on previous proposals of a single block lining the street.

In his report, John Davies said: "The cluster of towers of different heights and orientation would create a landmark for Sutton town centre and also allow views and natural light through the development as well as allowing for extensive public realm.

"This form of development would enhance the environment of Brassington Avenue and avoid the creation of a 'canyon' with the Gracechurch Centre opposite."

The waste ground site has been the subject of five planning applications for shopping centres, leisure centres and apartments over the last decade but has remained derelict.

The planning committee will decide the application on October 2.

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/local-news/sutton-coldfield-tower-blocks-poised-7827523

·
Registered Abuser
7,181 Posts
"The height is not in keeping with the street scene or the character of the area." Is he having a laugh? Some people really do talk rubbish don't they, just a typical Sutton snob who wants little thatched cottages on the land. Fingers crossed this gets approval, and once it does we actually see something built.

·
Registered
28,148 Posts
I presume this is for the large long site from the island down to the turning just after the ramp down from the car park?

I thought there was a waitrose proposed here? Not really familiar with Sutton to be honest

·
Registered
28,148 Posts
"The height is not in keeping with the street scene or the character of the area." Is he having a laugh? Some people really do talk rubbish don't they, just a typical Sutton snob who wants little thatched cottages on the land. Fingers crossed this gets approval, and once it does we actually see something built.
Agreed, gracechurch shopping centre isn't nice looking, needs a re clad

·
Registered
28,148 Posts
Cheers brummyboy,

What if any are the plans for the small piece of land before the turning for the train station think it's currently used as a surface car park?

This needs to get built, I'd happy to see this in the city centre somewhere so they should be pushing for it in Sutton in my opinion

1 - 20 of 89 Posts