Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brassy Bette enjoys being toast of the town

Erica Thompson
06apr05 http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12766595%5E3102,00.html

AUSTRALIA got its first glimpse of Bette Midler's touring extravaganza last night, with the unveiling of her spectacular Broadway-inspired stage show.

Midler's Kiss My Brass tour kicks off on Friday at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, but last night the 48-strong crew were busy putting the finishing touches on the massive set, which had to be transported by 13 semi-trailers.

"This is the biggest show I've ever done," Midler said. "It took us a long time to put it together."

Production manager Chris Adamson said it was also the biggest production ever rigged in Brisbane.

"This is a full-on Broadway show (recreated) in an arena," he said.

"We have 110 flying motors (in the ceiling) and four video screens. Wherever you're sitting, you'll get a top-rate view."

Wearing a pinstripe suit and fluffy slippers, the Divine Miss M had a television crew from Channel 10's Rove Live giggling as she recounted a visit to Brisbane's Mt Coot-tha where she discovered "all these people making out".

"She's an incredible bundle of energy and she puts a lot of us to shame with her enthusiasm," Mr Adamson said.

The 2½-hour show will feature more than 40 songs, including the legendary singer-actor's most popular hits, such as The Rose, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and Wind Beneath My Wings, as well as multiple costume changes and comedy sketches.

CHECK, one, two . . . the Divine Miss M, Bette Midler, goes through her sound check at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre. Picture: Peter Wallis.

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bette's blend of class and crass goes beyond divine
Kathleen Noonan
09apr05
THE cyclonic musical, theatrical, comedic and cinematic force that is Bette Midler hit a packed Brisbane Entertainment Centre last night. They stood and screamed as she rode in to town on a merry-go-round horse suspended from the ceiling.

That's where the energy levels stayed.

It is her first tour here since 1979. It's been way too long, yelled one fan. "How the hell are you Australia?" says Midler, hands on sassy hips. "Last time I was here the audience was on drugs. Now they're on medication."

It took 14 semi-trailers to move the lavish Broadway-style show set to town. The show was delayed by a 15-minute technical hitch. But it only needed one entertainer to transport the audience.

So where'd she take us? To Coney Island in the 19th century complete with beach murals, cabanas, ferris wheels. And back again. With a lot of wild detours.

Midler, her outstanding horns section and dancing/singing trio the Hartletts, opened with the show's title song Kiss My Brass. Then the deliciously irreverent digs start to fly. No one is safe. Camilla. Hopoate. Yeast infections. Refugees centres. Shane Warne's texting habits.

In a world where often lavish and over-the-top musical stage shows mask diminishing or lazy stars, comes this former pineapple canner in her 60th (60th!) year to rip that theory out, roots and all. Her show's generous two-hour, 40-song program is shamelessly entertaining. There are few entertainers who can merge crass and class like Midler.

Midler seamlessly blended drama and comedy, backed by a 12-piece band, to deliver a big-swing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, a lovely I Think It's Gonna Rain Today and show-stopping When A Man Loves A Woman, later launching into classics like The Rose, From A Distance and Peter Allen's evergreen Tenterfield Saddler.

If Midler never sings another note she should be remembered not just as a great original entertainer. She is a true original great.

Bette Midler performs again in Brisbane tomorrow night

jt

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bette steps out!
JESSICA LAWRENCE
10apr05
BETTE Midler breezed around Brisbane City yesterday, buoyant after a blazing start to her first Australian tour in more than 25 years.

Setting out just before 11am, the Hollywood singer and actor did some window shopping, swept through several books and clothes shops and sampled some local culinary delights.

When approached by The Sunday Mail, the sassy 59-year-old was browsing a book entitled Achieving Excellence.

The night before, the Divine Miss M wowed fans with her Kiss My Brass show at the Entertainment Centre.

When asked for her reaction to the rave reviews for her Broadway-style show, Bette answered politely: "I don't read reviews but, thank you, that's lovely. I had a great time last night and I'm enjoying Brisbane."

Dressed in dark denim jeans, a black hooded top, blue shades and hairband, Bette strolled almost unnoticed down Ann St and through the Queen Street Mall. One woman who did recognise her said: "I wanted to say hello but I didn't want to bother her . . . I do love her, though."

First stop for Bette was buying a magazine in Central Railway Station, then a quick check of a cute pink knit in Supre before stopping for lunch at a mall cafe. A bocconcini salad and cappuccino later, Bette paid the bill and left a $4 tip.

Manager of Milano cafe, Ernesto Zucchi, said: "She was in here a couple of days ago with some friends. She really is very nice."

But the entertainer missed an obvious encore.

After leaving the cafe, her Wind Beneath My Wings played on the music system.

"We had to wait for her to leave before we could put it on," a waiter said.
BOLD AS BRASS: Bette Midler on the run in Brisbane
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12805217%5E2765,00.html
jt

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Malt said:
lol @ her stolling about the city relativly un-noticed
Was at her concert last night. She loved Brisbane because she said that everone kept to themselves. She was able to shop, eat and walk around without anyone bothering her.

She also drank lots of "coffee coffee coffee!"

jt

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Petermaloney said:
^what the hell? which twin towers?
i love her too
LOL - Twin Towns at Tweed Heads - its a services club that is full of old people during the day.

There were alot of older people there - the concert was great though and she is so funny. I was amazed how well she knows local events, jokes ect!!

She said she "loved Queensland because its beautiful one day and perfect the next, alot like me really". Yelling to the people up the back "you must be Ipswich out there" and talking to the people standing at the front - "my own little gold coast".

Loved Her!!
jt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts