SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a short trip to Bratislava last week and one day to Wien. I made a lot of pictures, well around 400 pictures. I'm not going to show them all but I will give a nice tour around the city.

I want to say that I just make pictures with a digital camera, Don't expect anything fancy, this is just my trip report :)

Bratislava was a nice surprise, it felt small and big at the same time. Sometimes I had the feeling I was in big city , the next I felt like i was in some provincial backwater town. I liked that mix.

Anyway lets get started!

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The hotel is first up. It was a chain hotel from Mercure but it was really nice actually. The room was big and cozy the bathroom was even bigger. We(me and my gf) had plenty of space.

Staff was exellent and fluent in different languages, breakfast was really good one of the best I ever had to be honest. above all, the room was really cheap.

It was around 7PM. I made the follwing pictures all with my cellphone so quality won't be good :)
We still had to get some food so we decided to walk towards the old town wich was a 15 min walk from our hotel.

Catched the first glimp of the Pressburg Castle in the distance from the Hodžovo námestie square where the presidential palace is the most prominent building.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the Hodžovo námestie we walked directly into the old town. The first picture below is where the midieval walls and moat used to be. The tower is only midieval city gate still standing. The rest are demolished.

There was water once between these old buildings but now it where private garderns.

The midieval city gate:

The city was full of poorly lit alleyways but I never felt unsave or anything. It all added to the charm of the old town.

By now I was parished and we took the first (touristic and medium quality) food we could find.

Goulash with bread

The local beer (I liked it and drank at least two every evening) and apfelstrudel!

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The area around the central square: Hlavne namestie
again sorry for the bad quality, afther this post it's day pictures wich are better :)

These where brothels on the upper floors...

As I strayed around without a map searching my way back to the hotel I ran across this legend in the architecture forums of SSC:

some modern highrise:

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The next day we went for a loooong walk across the city :)

The busy street near our hotel.

The highrise I spotted the other night:

some of the mix of architecture present outside the old town:

Namestie Slobody; a monument fountain in a rather badly kept park. All fontains in Bratislava are empty for winter...

not particulairy in a good shape

...and neither was the park itself...

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Offcourse Benonie your thread was way surperior as you pictures are always very beautifull! I don't tend to do much efford in making beautfill pictures and just snap away :)

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some 1930's buildings I guess. I generally like that simple style.

More housing in the urban streets around the old town:

We reached Hodžovo námestie again.

Presidential guard

In the gardens of the Presidential Palace:

Urban feel in this part of the city

Some building wich seemed out of place. It was delipitated but would be nice if restored!

We decided to walk around the old town before entering it and I'm glad I did.

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The old town is the lowest part of the city:

Despite annoyance of my girlfriend I couldn't leave out tram pictures :)

Staromestská, an urban highway wich cuts right through the old town. Apparently they demolished a part of the old town for this road.

Right next to it the only part of the old city walls that are left standing.We couldn't enter the old town here. It was closed off for repair works.

·
YIM.BA
9,243 Posts
^^ Check this thread. ;)

Really a pleasant city for a relaxing trip! :cheers:
Of course I know your great thread, Benonie! ;) However, I still have the feeling that Bratislava is underpresented here in Urban showcase.

Offcourse Benonie your thread was way surperior as you pictures are always very beautifull! I don't tend to do much efford in making beautfill pictures and just snap away :)
Your pictures are great, keep posting ;)

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We continue the walk, still entering old town but walking around it on the edge :)

The main bus station as under the lower part of Novy Most SNP

Novy Most SNP

Lookig towards the old town

We continued alongside the water wich had a mix of differend styles blended together. Somehow the badly placed 'new' buildings reminds me of Belgium :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
However we decided to go and explore the old town eventually. The overall majority of the buildings in the old town are in perfect or in near perfect conditions. The old town was for the most part spotless clean. I could tell wich buildings you guys are seeing here but I'm not going to :p

The southern part of Hviezdoslavovo Namestie, the most famous square in town

1 - 20 of 65 Posts