Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pictures of last summer in Jurere Beach, in Florianopolis, Santa Catarina state, southern Brazil. An entire beach neighbourhood designed and built by the private sector in Brazil to resemble Florida-type areas. The place is a success among new riches from all over Brazil.

·
Registered
18,253 Posts
Florida is greener and warmer. I don't really see the similarities between the two areas.

Anyway, I liked the pictures. Perfect blue sky! Except for one or two, I found the houses design quite ordinary and dull. I think Jurerê is overrated.

·
Banned
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Florida is greener and warmer. I don't really see the similarities between the two areas.

Anyway, I liked the pictures. Perfect blue sky! Except for one or two, I found the houses design quite ordinary and dull. I think Jurerê is overrated.
I didn´t say they were alike because of the nature surroundings, but in terms of architecture and urbanism. The style of the houses, the gardens, the cars etc looks like a Florida neighbourhood. I am quite aware that those mountains in the first pictures would be out of place in Florida.

So you say you don´t see NOTHING in common in my pictures with Florida?

If I said my pictures looked like Calgary, Canada, then you could say that.

And about the houses designs, I agree with you. Mostly dull and tacky.

·
on the road
leptokurtic
35,460 Posts
I think this is the most American-looking house in the bunch. Notice the American-style mailbox, what appears to be wood on the second floor, even American-style roof shingles. The air conditioning is pure-Brazilian, however. Funny how even the most expensive houses in Brazil tend not to have centralized heating and AC.
Temperatures in Brazil don't get as extreme as in US, be it cold or hot extremes, but particularly in terms of cold temps. Therefore, things like double-glazed windows and any kind of insulation is usually unheard of even in expensive neighborhoods. Local construction firms don't have even much knowledge or practice about installing such systems, which are rather complex.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
^^
I meant Miami is greener and warmer than Florianópolis. And Santa Catarina coldest areas are far colder than Florida ones.
By coldest do you mean in the mountains? Because anything from central florida and northern goes below 0 several times a year. Just last week in Orlando it was -3...in northern Florida it gets to -10 or colder usually at least once a year or so. The only "Tropical" part of Florida is southern Florida. I am sure the high mountain ranges are colder though..obviously lol

For example all of the pictures in this thread look much warmer or more tropical than Central and especially northern Florida. Those pictures remind me of the Miami metropolitan area..perhaps something more like West Palm Beach or even Boca Raton. The trees remind me of the greenery in the Miami metro, I agree with the OP it has a very (south) florida feeling :eek:kay:

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.