SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After landing in Rio airport first thing was to get some cash in order to pay for our taxi. There were quite a few cash machines on the third floor, unfortunately we weren't able to withdraw any. It was quite strange as I have never faced situation then few different cash machines from few different banks for some reason refusing to accept cards. Nevertheless, we agreed with taxi driver to take us to Ipanema for 60 Reals and to stop at any bank for cash withdrawal. However, we experienced the same issue in Ipanema as well, I saw cariocas (local people) weren't able to do that. We started a bit panicking, but taxi driver was very helpful and agreed to take US dollars instead Reals. Later I managed to find bank (banco do Brasil) which allowed me to withdraw cash. I have a few friends traveled to Brazil this year and seems they also faced issues with withdrawing cash.

After we left our things in rented flat probably the best thing to do is have some rest at Ipanema Beach.

3. Two Icons of Ipanema beach Brazilian Bunda on the left and the georgous mountain.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The next day we decided to visit one of two most popular panoramic spots of Rio - 326m Sugarloaf mountain. For some reason there weren't many tourists. I wonder why? Is it because of quite bad weather or nobody bothers to go on both mountains and chooses Corcovado as must see.

7. Street party on our way.

9. Waiting for Cable car to get on first mountain

10. Second cable car will take us to the top of Sugarloaf.

11. We were not lucky with weather. Cloudy, foggy and quite strong rain.

12. Next stop Sugarloaf.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool!! :)

Where are you from, Lllinass?
Originally from Vilnius, Lithuania.

Very good and realistic photos. Unfortunately, I've seen Rio like this more times than in your first set of pictures. :)
Sorry I disappointed you :) Hope this thread gets more interesting once you see unfamiliar places

·
quì riposo,quì nonlavoro
4,046 Posts
I am amazed and not disappointed at all. I've never been in Brazil, but Rio is for sure on my list.
It seems like the sand is like brown or kind of white, I can't tell from the pictures.
By the way do you have more views from Brazil?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Santa Teresa - one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Rio settled on the hill with the same name. There used to live upper middle class families, but now it turned into artist district.

39. Sad the tramway stop is not in use any more. It was one of the oldest tram in South America. The last line closed in 2011 after accident in which 4 people died including driver.

46. Our taxi back to Ipanema.

·
Entrepreneur
5,403 Posts
Great shots. Santa Teresa looks lovely, almost untouched by modern times. Such a shame though that the tram doesn't work anymore as shown in the 2011 Rio film.

Look forward to Ilha Grande pictures. My cousins from Rio have a house at Porto Bracuhy which is very close so I know the island well. :)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts