Reconstruction: 2014
Capacity: 43.981
Atlético-PR

Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova
City: Salvador
Construction: 2013
Capacity: 56.500
Bahia

Estádio Olímpico Nilton Santos(Engenhão)
City: Rio de Janeiro
Construction: 2007
Capacity: 46.931
Botafogo

Arena Castelão
City: Fortaleza
Construction: 1973
Reconstruction: 2013
Capacity: 67.037
Ceará

Arena Condá
City: Chapecó
Construction: 1976
Capacity: 22.600
Chapecoense

Arena Corinthians
City: São Paulo
Construction: 2013
Capacity: 46.116
Corinthians

Estádio Mineirão
City: Belo Horizonte
Construction: 1965
Capacity: 62.170
Cruzeiro

Estádio Maracanã
Construction: 1950
Capacity: 78.838
Fluminense and Flamengo

Arena do Grêmio
City: Porto Alegre
Construction: 2012
Capacity: 55.538
Grêmio

Estádio Beira-Rio
City: Porto Alegre
Construction: 1969
Capacity: 51.300
Internacional

Allianz Parque
Construction: 2014
Capacity: 43.600
Palmeiras

Estádio Durival de Brito e Silva(Vila Capanema)
City: Curitiba
Construction: 1947
Capacity: 20.083
Paraná

Estádio Urbano Caldeira(Vila Belmiro)
City: Santos
Construction: 1916
Capacity: 16.798
Santos

Estádio Cícero Pompeu de Toledo (Morumbi)
Construction: 1960
Capacity: 66.795
São Paulo

Estádio Adelmar da Costa Carvalho (Ilha do Retiro)

City: Recife
Construction: 1937
Capacity: 35.020
Sport

Estádio São Januário
Construction: 1927
Capacity: 24.584
Vasco da Gama

Estádio Manoel Barradas(Barradão)
City: Salvador
Construction: 1986
Capacity: 35.632
Vitória

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Great post. I love some of the older stadia. Real character. Hadn't seen Estádio Manoel Barradas (Barradão) or Estádio Adelmar da Costa Carvalho (Ilha do Retiro) before. Will look up some of the history of those grounds later. What is going on with Estádio Ilha do Urubu? Are Flamengo building something else as that looks very temporary and not really befitting of such a big club? I'd love to go to Santos and Vasco. It would be like a pilgrimage.

Edit: Just how steep is the top tier at Palmeiras? It looks like it wouldn't be legal in England - appearances can be deceptive though.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Arena da Baixada
City: Curitiba
Construction: 1999
Capacity: 43.981
Atlético-PR
:nuts:

I am shocked! I saw two World Cup games in this stadium in 2014 and I had no clue there was retractable roof there!
But OK, the same happened to me once before, it was Düsseldorf Esprit Arena, I went there for a game and had no clue the roof can be closed :eek:hno:

And I really try to check the stadium as much as possible when I am there ..... :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
:nuts:

I am shocked! I saw two World Cup games in this stadium in 2014 and I had no clue there was retractable roof there!
But OK, the same happened to me once before, it was Düsseldorf Esprit Arena, I went there for a game and had no clue the roof can be closed :eek:hno:

And I really try to check the stadium as much as possible when I am there ..... :eek:hno: :eek:hno:
Due to delays in construction, the Arena da Baixada was unfinished at the World Cup, the retractile roof was installed later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great post. I love some of the older stadia. Real character. Hadn't seen Estádio Manoel Barradas (Barradão) or Estádio Adelmar da Costa Carvalho (Ilha do Retiro) before. Will look up some of the history of those grounds later. What is going on with Estádio Ilha do Urubu? Are Flamengo building something else as that looks very temporary and not really befitting of such a big club? I'd love to go to Santos and Vasco. It would be like a pilgrimage.

Edit: Just how steep is the top tier at Palmeiras? It looks like it wouldn't be legal in England - appearances can be deceptive though.
The Estadio da Ilha do Urubu (official name Estadio Luso-Brasileiro, belongs to a small team called Portuguese-RJ), has a temporary increase, because the fixed capacity is small for the Brazilian championship, currently is prohibited because one of the towers fell, Flamengo traditionally plays Maracanã, but it is financially inviolable, therefore of change.
Flamengo intends to build a new stadium in the future, but still has no project.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^^
This stadium is a historical place, Pelé and others top players played in this stadium;

But, Santos plays eventually in Pacaembu, including and especially, matches of the Libertadores:
Construction: 1940
Capacity: 37.952

·
the mitty
11,119 Posts
who cares who played there in the past. a club cannot be attached to the past if they want to thrive in the future

Maracana was also a historic stadium, nevertheless, the rebuild it to a modern stadia
Flamengo and Vasco are other clubs that would need a new stadium. they have a vast supporter base

question. is the athletics track in Morumbi usually used? its only 4 lanes wide

Reactions: In The End

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
who cares who played there in the past. a club cannot be attached to the past if they want to thrive in the future

Maracana was also a historic stadium, nevertheless, the rebuild it to a modern stadia
Flamengo and Vasco are other clubs that would need a new stadium. they have a vast supporter base

question. is the athletics track in Morumbi usually used? its only 4 lanes wide
Santos is a densely populated city on an island. The football club have looked to build elsewhere but getting a site is very difficult. I'm sure they would rather have a new ground than play their biggest matches in Sao Paulo.

Vasco could expand and modernise their stadium. There is a church/shrine at one end so that will never by fully built up. They should do something on the other 3 sides. I think part of the problem is that there is the culture of watching on TV rather than going to matches. How much of the support in a city like Rio can afford to attend? Corinthians and Palmeiras have shown that a modern stadium will draw the crowds in Sao Paulo but will it work in Rio? Botafogo use a modern stadium but I don't think they get great crowds but I'm not sure how much support they have.

Not sure why Flamengo are playing at that small ground when Fluminense are using Maracana.

·
the mitty
11,119 Posts
from what i've been reading the rent in Maracana is huge and Flamengo prefer to play most matches on that "small ground" to make more money, and leave the bigger matches to Maracana. probably Fluminense have no choice

but Flamengo is looking to build a new stadium http://stadiumdb.com/news/2018/01/rio_de_janeiro_flamengo_need_more_time_to_evaluate_stadium_site

as for Vasco, I didnt knew that church issue, but, if they square the other end tier, (the one with the huge red cross), they'll make room to make a full enclosured stadium. I'm not measuring, but it seems so. plus, they could earn from new comercial spaces in the gap below the tiers that is empty today

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
are there any games planned to be played in manaus, cuiaba and brasilia ?
Don't have clubs playing the first or second division of brazilian championship in this places, but, eventually, the small clubs leaves the matches against giant clubs for this stadiums;
Natal and Recife(Arena Pernambuco) also don't have clubs in the first division;

1 - 20 of 38 Posts