Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
They show so many public spaces full of people, but aside from having a job in one of the buildings, I see no reason to be there at all, neither as a resident nor as a visitor. It's far away from all places of interest in Bremen, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to offer that's worth going there.
Agree. Not unlike HafenCity in Hamburg (other than the symphony hall). They could establish some good restaurants and art galleries, but the real draw could have been classic Bremen historic architecture and design. Once done, your comment about being in the "middle of nowhere" will be well taken...it looks just about like everywhere else in nowhere land.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
They show so many public spaces full of people, but aside from having a job in one of the buildings, I see no reason to be there at all, neither as a resident nor as a visitor. It's far away from all places of interest in Bremen, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to offer that's worth going there.
Disagree strongly in this case. As you may know, I am rather critical of the development in the Überseestadt as it fits your description rather well at the moment.

It is a very outstretched and divided development area with about 4 different, but rather isolated hot spots of development and a rather "dead" office feel in the evenings. Apart from a few restaurants, there is hardly any reason to be there after offices close. But this is going to change with these two projects I presented.

First of all, both are situated right next to the city centre, whereas much of the development up to now has been going on at the point farthest away from the centre. Secondly, this last project alone will house up to 5,000 people, plus the Europahafenkopf with about 500 people, plus the area around Reeperbahn with about 300 people. There is going to be schools and supermarkets, all the normal "city" things that are missing in the Überseestadt at the moment. Together with the extension of the riverfront boulevard "Schlachte" which connects said areas to the rest of the city on foot or by bike without any crossings of streets, this will definitely change the way the Überseestadt is being perceived in Bremen.

Just think of two kilometers of South-West oriented riverfront development right next to the city centre in a formerly completely secluded and closed-off industrial area. Then there are the new bridges spanning the Europahafen and the Weser River to connect Woltmershausen (and the "Tabakquartier" which is another redevelopment area in Woltmershausen) to the Überseestadt.

No, as I said, I myself am one of the biggest critics of the Überseestadt and all its planning mistakes, from the filling of the "Überseehafen" harbour bassin in 1998 to the stupid Großmarkt area in the centre creating noise and traffic, the orientation towards offices and rather bland and standard housing projects, the total lack of any kind of public life besides office workers eating lunch, the traffic problems...

It is really not easy to get me excited, but this is one such case. The Überseeinsel thing has the potential for being the single most important development for Bremen in decades.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Agree. Not unlike HafenCity in Hamburg (other than the symphony hall). They could establish some good restaurants and art galleries, but the real draw could have been classic Bremen historic architecture and design. Once done, your comment about being in the "middle of nowhere" will be well taken...it looks just about like everywhere else in nowhere land.
And the real draw will always be classic Bremen, this is nothing that is primarily directed at tourists (although of course they are welcome, now already there are tours of the Überseestadt with a little electric street-train available and seemingly well booked). This is also no competition whatsoever for the historic Bremen where we will hopefully see the reconstruction of the famous Weserrenaissance Essighaus facade as part of the "Balgequartier" project. As as you know, I hope this to be a starting point for more reconstructions in the years to come ;).

The projects shown above are nothing more and nothing less than your typical harbour front redevelopment happening all over the world in underused former harbour and warehouse districts. But contrary to the Hafencity which basically started from scratch and is 100% new if you leave out the Kaispeicher A on which the Elbphilharmonie was built, there are lots of traces of the old warehouse architecture in the Überseestadt, many of the buildings have been preserved and even are listed now... so there is more contrast between old and new, although as the area was heavily bombed during WW2, "old" usually means post war in the areas shown:

But in the northern parts of the Überseestadt, there are lots of prewar warehouses, granaries and mills that survived the bombings:

Bremen definitely lacks something as enchanting as the Speicherstadt, though.

·
Urban Hermit
5,548 Posts
Well the only time in the two years I lived in Bremen that I went West of the Hbf on the line 2 or 3 was to the Kreiswehrersatzamt to have my balls fondled by someone who looked like Joseph Mengele, so I know very little about the area in general. The only places I would go to were either in the Center, Neustadt, Viertel or Aladin/Tivoli. I've been in that oversized mall in the far East (at the end of the 1) but never the one in Walle.

I'm just going by the renders, it just looks like waterfront upper class living, same type that's been plastered all over the Oldenburg harbour area the last decade right next to the Jobcenter and the red light district. Very sterile place that people would only spend time because they live in one of the apartments, and don't hang around much because there isn't much to do except living there.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
But Bremen and especially its neglected western parts really have changed since those times... there is the College of Arts in Speicher XI, so there are students around all over the place. Walle is really developing well and starting to show signs of gentrification with cafés for young parents with kids and nice bars. They renovated the derelict Union Brewery there, this is now a very popular destination for people who would not have set a foot into this part of the city just 10 years ago:

Although absolutely catching your drift and agreeing to the general observation, you really can't compare some of these terrible "Stadtvillen" developments at the harbour front in Oldenburg to what's going on in Bremen. As I said, there is lots of architecture from all periods that is being preserved, you have old warehouses, lots of restaurants, you have a museum in Speicher XI, you have the vintage car exhibition in Schuppen 1, there is a place for skaters in one of the parks that is being used a lot, there is going to be a beach at the westernmost end of the Überseestadt that is under construction just now:

(archisurf)

These are the rooftop apartments on Schuppen 1 you can reach by a car lift:

(BDA)

http://schuppeneins.de/der-schuppen-eins/

so there really is a lot going on already. The main mistake in the plans was that the port industries tried to prevent housing in the area, this was an argument that had been simmering since the nineties within Bremen politics. The companies within the old "Freihafengebiet" were afraid that housing would lead to them being sued for noise and immissions so that Bremen had to give them guarantees that this would not be happening. The new "urban area" (Urbanes Gebiet) within German zoning law is a direct consequence of this conflict in Bremen.

So, one could argue, too little, too late housing to bring life into the area. But in fact, the closing of the Kellogg's plant changed things a lot in the southern part of the area since the only emittor of noise and smells is now gone. This changes everything for these parts of the Überseestadt and will enable a lot of development that would otherwise not have been possible. And I don't doubt for one minute that the Bremers will embrace new opportunities to spend time at the Weser river as they do this everywhere else where it is possible already.

A Bremen-based micro brewery will open a beer garden this coming summer on the premises of the Überseeinsel, we'll see how that works out.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Europahafenkopf

(C) Cobe Architects Copenhagen
This project is already under construction since February, a few weeks ago the site looked like this:

To get a better idea of how the entire ensemble of all four buildings is going to look like I highly recommend watching this short visualization video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXXyMPoosBk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.