Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California Landmark is proud to produce the first mixed use high rise development in West Los Angeles. Situated at the prestigious corner of Barrington and Wilshire, this new building will include pedestrian friendly cafes, commercial offices, residential condominiums and ample parking. Inspired by highrise residential architecture in Vancouver, the project will set new design standards for future developments throughout Southern California.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey I used to live right there! at Barrington Place...it was a tiny studio on the 26th floor, but it had a GREAT view of West LA, could wake up and see UCLA, Westwood Village, and all the buildings on Wilshire. Nice area, these buildings are gonna be pimp palaces for whoever has the cash...

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
Thanks, vicecityguy for the thread. This is going to be cool for the westside!. I really like the density of that area, and this tower will nicely add a little more to this area. Now if the MTA and the City of Los Angeles follow my guidelines for the metrorail red line westside extension, the Brentwood Corridor would have two subway staitions, one being the corner that this tower will be built on, and the other at whilshire and bundy. (the plan that i came up with for the proposed extention is on the " LA MUST MORE SUBWAY" thread. I also posted a plan for a north/east red line connector to the Hollywood/Highland station.) with public mass transit in place, the density of West Los Angeles would increase (as would highrise construction) dramatically....!!!!

By the way, does anyone remember when the Barrington plaza tower had the large red "B" on the cooling tower shroud, back in the day. I'd like to see it restored. you could see it from miles away, and for me, when i'd be returning to LA from camping trips, seeing it told me i was home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Way cool. I think we're going to see more of this type of structure all over the city. New seismic technologies are making it more economically feasible than ever, and LA is totally full--the only way to go is infill, adaptive reuse, and up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They tore down the 1 story buildings that were there and put up a fence about a year ago. The only signs of life since then have been a pumpkin patch and Christmas tree lot on site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is pretty clear now that construction at this site has now started. This thread should be alive more than ever now. Hope people can upload some pics on the site.

·
Registered
18,898 Posts
Interesting and good news. For those not familiar with the area, developers love to call it Brentwood, but it's really West LA. The area west of the 405 to the SaMo border is already fairly dense, with some high-rises. Demand is high because SaMo (about a mile away) doesn't allow much height and you are close to Brentwood and Westwood. The coming Purple Line will bring stations probably to the VA and Bundy, each about 1/3 mile away. Govt. offices are located just south, mostly along SM Blvd. Along Sawtelle there is a small Jtown.

The whole area has the potential to be a node similar to Beverly Center, particularly if the VA becomes some kind of transit hub (Purple, Wilshire bus, 405 bus/rail).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting and good news. For those not familiar with the area, developers love to call it Brentwood, but it's really West LA. The area west of the 405 to the SaMo border is already fairly dense, with some high-rises. Demand is high because SaMo (about a mile away) doesn't allow much height and you are close to Brentwood and Westwood. The coming Purple Line will bring stations probably to the VA and Bundy, each about 1/3 mile away. Govt. offices are located just south, mostly along SM Blvd. Along Sawtelle there is a small Jtown.

The whole area has the potential to be a node similar to Beverly Center, particularly if the VA becomes some kind of transit hub (Purple, Wilshire bus, 405 bus/rail).
Last I heard the there are a couple of faults in the way and so it is yet unclear the exact path the purple line extension will take. However, I hope this buildings will spark more renovation to the area.

·
Registered
18,898 Posts
Last I heard the there are a couple of faults in the way and so it is yet unclear the exact path the purple line extension will take. However, I hope this buildings will spark more renovation to the area.
Yes; this was one of my issues with MTA spending money to have seismologists do a study of the Century City area. They found new faults and branches, and that some others extend much further into the Westside than previously thought.

Last I heard, MTA preferred VA to Barrington and was netural on two possible sites for the VA. Bundy and anything beyond are part of a later phase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So is it really the construction that's starting or are they just cleaning up the site, turning it into a parking lot, etc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So is it really the construction that's starting or are they just cleaning up the site, turning it into a parking lot, etc?
There has been noticed cranes on that site. Why would cranes be there if they are making a parking lot out of it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts